The Student Room Group

Does anyone else feel that their dissertation doesnt need to take the whole year?

Im doing a dissertation at uni, and to be honest, I've almost finished it. The deadline isn't until after Easter.

Im not rushing it, I have a LOT of free time during the week because I do a history degree so I am spending lots of time looking at resources.

Ive even flown to Russia to get primary evidence for it.

So whys it pretty much finished? Ive written 16000 words out of 150000 and ive tweaked most of it and myparents have readit. Its taken me about 7 weeks.

I'm aiming for a solid 2:1 or hopefully a first. Is anyone else finding they dont need as much time because Im quite worried!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Ummm.... 16,000 words isn't even near to 150,000...
Reply 2
Original post by ellie_flower
? Ive written 16000 words out of 150000 and ive tweaked most of it

i think you have made a typo, according to your figures you have done 10.67% of it
The whole idea of uni is the people in charge waste your time then you end up old like them without achievements to your name it's all a conspiracy I swear
Reply 4
Obviously I meant 15000, evening wine drinking whilst watcning masterchef, sorry!

Glad im not the only person who feels that uni is a waste of time
Reply 5
Obviously I meant 15000, evening wine drinking whilst watcning masterchef, sorry!

Glad im not the only person who feels that uni is a waste of time

is it not the 'wasting time' that is the good part? you get to enjoy yourself (obviously you won't enjoy every minute) and then you get your degree at the end of it which is the gateway to your future career
Reply 6
Original post by Calla95
is it not the 'wasting time' that is the good part? you get to enjoy yourself (obviously you won't enjoy every minute) and then you get your degree at the end of it which is the gateway to your future career

quite possibly, except think its a bit optimistic to think ill get a career just because ive got a degree (see most recent post in careers section). Basically getting rejected from everything. Studying history I have 2 hours of contact time a week. Feel that my energies could be put to use way more doing work experiences etc etc!

are you at uni yet? x
Reply 7
quite possibly, except think its a bit optimistic to think ill get a career just because ive got a degree (see most recent post in careers section). Basically getting rejected from everything. Studying history I have 2 hours of contact time a week. Feel that my energies could be put to use way more doing work experiences etc etc!

are you at uni yet? x

i am not; that is probably the reason why i have such a romanticized view of it haha. And looking back at what i said, it does seem slightly too optimistic to assume one will get a career straight out of uni, i guess i can attribute that to my lurking of the medicine forum having skewed my view of post-uni jobs.
Reply 8
Sure it can be done. I'm planning on writing mine (10,000 words) in a time-frame of 5-6 weeks.

I can use a lot of the stuff I wrote in my dissertation proposal which was around ~2,500 words, which will make things a lot easier! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

are you at uni yet? x

Why don't you do work experience then?! This is what I don't get about everyone doing a degree. They think that all they need is a degree and then they apply for jobs/graduate schemes etc and then go "oh I got rejected". Instead of wasting your time like you have basically said you have done and considering you only have 2 hours a week why aren't you doing work experience in your spare time? I'm in my second year of my history degree and so have 7-8 hours of contact time and still manage to do another course and work experience in my spare time, plus my 5 essays, 3 presentations and seminar preparation for all modules. Plus I have a social life. It isn't hard to make yourself stand out from the crowd. It's just laziness considering you know what you should be doing and haven't bothered.
Im doing a dissertation at uni, and to be honest, I've almost finished it. The deadline isn't until after Easter.

Im not rushing it, I have a LOT of free time during the week because I do a history degree so I am spending lots of time looking at resources.

Ive even flown to Russia to get primary evidence for it.

So whys it pretty much finished? Ive written 16000 words out of 150000 and ive tweaked most of it and myparents have readit. Its taken me about 7 weeks.

I'm aiming for a solid 2:1 or hopefully a first. Is anyone else finding they dont need as much time because Im quite worried!!

You've obviously put in the legwork early then. I know a lot of people who have dissertations who just keep pushing them back and back back...
Original post by moomin_love
Why don't you do work experience then?! This is what I don't get about everyone doing a degree. They think that all they need is a degree and then they apply for jobs/graduate schemes etc and then go "oh I got rejected". Instead of wasting your time like you have basically said you have done and considering you only have 2 hours a week why aren't you doing work experience in your spare time? I'm in my second year of my history degree and so have 7-8 hours of contact time and still manage to do another course and work experience in my spare time, plus my 5 essays, 3 presentations and seminar preparation for all modules. Plus I have a social life. It isn't hard to make yourself stand out from the crowd. It's just laziness considering you know what you should be doing and haven't bothered.

hahaha! are you at university? Im doing work experience at Bliss magazine, the BBC, I write for the local paper, am features editor for the uni paper and uni tv company and im president of two societies, I have a part time job and i play for about ninety million sports teams.

i do do quite a lot! What else do you suggest I do to improve my job prospects?
hahaha! are you at university? Im doing work experience at Bliss magazine, the BBC, I write for the local paper, am features editor for the uni paper and uni tv company and im president of two societies, I have a part time job and i play for about ninety million sports teams.

Yeah I'm at uni. That is very good then... I thought you were a typical lazy student expecting your degree to do all the work for you because you said you'd be better off getting experience. I keep telling my friends that their degree isn't going to hand them a job on a plate and to get work experience but no one seems to listen to me! At least it should make it easier for the few of us who are proactive :smile:
Reply 13
I'm in my second year of my history degree and so have 7-8 hours of contact time and still manage to do another course and work experience in my spare time, plus my 5 essays, 3 presentations and seminar preparation for all modules. Plus I have a social life. It isn't hard to make yourself stand out from the crowd. It's just laziness considering you know what you should be doing and haven't bothered.

Im doing work experience at Bliss magazine, the BBC, I write for the local paper, am features editor for the uni paper and uni tv company and im president of two societies, I have a part time job and i play for about ninety million sports teams.

I'd definitely employ ellie_flower out of you both. 'Seminar preparation for all modules' doesn't really make you stand out from the crowd to be honest. Also, she's less patronising, despite being a double President.
Original post by LeeC
I'd definitely employ ellie_flower out of you both. 'Seminar preparation for all modules' doesn't really make you stand out from the crowd to be honest. Also, she's less patronising, despite being a double President.

Haha thanks very much :smile:

Don't really understand how you feel like you have lots of time then... I do way, WAY less than you at university and I have barely any spare time.
Original post by LeeC

Sorry if I came across as patronising, but she didn't say that she did anything in her spare time. She insinuated that she didn't because she said she'd be better off doing work experience than doing a degree, which in all fairness does make it sound as though she didn't do any work experience. I was simply making the point that if she thought that doing work experience was more beneficial then why wasn't she doing work experience!

Also, I wasn't saying that seminar preparation would make me stand out from the crowd... I would never put that in an application or anything because seminar preparation is a given... I was just saying (when I thought that she didn't do any work experience etc) that if I could do it while still putting 100% into my degree then she could too.

Also, if you were in a group of friends and you felt that you were the only one who realised that this degree is not going to hand you a job on a plate then I think you would react the same as I do. I'm really sick of people complaining about the economic climate and how hard it is to get a job, even with a degree, when they don't do anything to better themselves and make connections and just get valuable experience!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Sorry if I came across as patronising, but she didn't say that she did anything in her spare time. She insinuated that she didn't because she said she'd be better off doing work experience than doing a degree, which in all fairness does make it sound as though she didn't do any work experience. I was simply making the point that if she thought that doing work experience was more beneficial then why wasn't she doing work experience!

Also, I wasn't saying that seminar preparation would make me stand out from the crowd... I would never put that in an application or anything because seminar preparation is a given... I was just saying (when I thought that she didn't do any work experience etc) that if I could do it while still putting 100% into my degree then she could too.

Also, if you were in a group of friends and you felt that you were the only one who realised that this degree is not going to hand you a job on a plate then I think you would react the same as I do. I'm really sick of people complaining about the economic climate and how hard it is to get a job, even with a degree, when they don't do anything to better themselves and make connections and just get valuable experience!

haha it's alright, and I know you would never put anything about seminar preparation on an application, I was just taking the piss :tongue:
As nice as this chat is, in anyone else in my position? Still want to feel that Im not alone on this one. You know when youve finished something fast and youre sure you must be wring and riddled with millions of mistakes...
Reply 19
As nice as this chat is, in anyone else in my position? Still want to feel that Im not alone on this one. You know when youve finished something fast and youre sure you must be wring and riddled with millions of mistakes...

I never get that, but why don't you get your supervisor to have a look for anything obviously wrong?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending