The Student Room Group

Does anyone else feel that their dissertation doesnt need to take the whole year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ellie_flower
quite possibly, except think its a bit optimistic to think ill get a career just because ive got a degree (see most recent post in careers section). Basically getting rejected from everything. Studying history I have 2 hours of contact time a week. Feel that my energies could be put to use way more doing work experiences etc etc!

are you at uni yet? x

Two hours? I did a History-based BA and had at least 6 hours of contact time a week even in third year.

Yeah, I've known a couple of people who did their dissertation the night before and came out with a 2.i No idea how they managed it, but a year is unnecessary I'm sure. I did an MA essay of 5,000 words that I had quite literally only started the morning of the day I had to hand it and got 90% AND it was based around a book that I hadn't read so anything is possible. :ahee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Einheri
Two hours? I did a History-based BA and had at least 6 hours of contact time a week even in third year.

Yeah, I've known a couple of people who did their dissertation the night before and came out with a 2.i No idea how they managed it, but a year is unnecessary I'm sure. I did an MA essay of 5,000 words that I had quite literally only started the morning of the day I had to hand it and got 90% AND it was based around a book that I hadn't read so anything is possible. :ahee:

Thanks very much for your reassurance. Good for you and all your contact time! Unfortunately, I onlyhave 2 hours a week! Its really rubbish and not quite sure what I pay for. this is at Durham University btw!
Reply 22
Thanks very much for your reassurance. Good for you and all your contact time! Unfortunately, I onlyhave 2 hours a week! Its really rubbish and not quite sure what I pay for. this is at Durham University btw!

Wow, I wouldn't expect that from Durham - I was under the impression that they followed the Oxbridge model of cramming as many contact hours in as humanly possible. I went to The University of Nottingham for my BA and we had at least two hours a week for every module we took. I'm doing my MA at The University of Iceland and I have 9 hours of contact time a week!
I've written 4 dissertations so far - 2 for BA and 1 each for 2 MAs. Each one took me a month to do from start of reading to submission. A year is far too much time!

If you're done early, why don't you just submit it?
Original post by Einheri
Wow, I wouldn't expect that from Durham - I was under the impression that they followed the Oxbridge model of cramming as many contact hours in as humanly possible. I went to The University of Nottingham for my BA and we had at least two hours a week for every module we took. I'm doing my MA at The University of Iceland and I have 9 hours of contact time a week!

Durham definitley don't- I know someone doing English there and she was complaining about lack of contact time. (she had 6 hours a week in second year)
Reply 25
I'm currently doing an MSc dissertation. Started in September, due in within the next six weeks - the practical part is falling behind but quite straightforward and can be done relatively quickly i.e. within the next 3-4 weeks. The written part is about 70% done and can be easily cobbled together by the time the half-assed practical work is done. I already have a distinction for the PgDip part of my course and I have a habit of thinking I've done worse than I actually have when it comes to academic stuff, so if this theory holds then my dissertation is currently better than I think it is :ninja: so I'm taking it kind of easy even though there's still a good bit to do.

Dissertations really shouldn't and usually don't take that long. Giving too much time to complete it just means that people procrastinate, fall behind and generally get fed up. Out of all the time I've spent as a student and the two dissertations I've written, I honestly don't know anyone whose work improved any by having more time to complete it - people will just hand what they would have handed in anyway but just taking slightly longer to do it and not working as hard in the process.

Working under pressure in tight deadlines is a good life skill and Lord knows students already have a reputation for being lazy and doing things too slowly, so I would favour cutting the amount of allotted time but expecting slightly less work in return to balance it out.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
Durham definitley don't- I know someone doing English there and she was complaining about lack of contact time. (she had 6 hours a week in second year)

however, if you do a science you have an unbelievable number of contact hours. some of my friends are doing chemistry in final year and they start at 9 and finish at 6.30!!

Thing is we have unlimited time with our dissertation supervisors which is great, so we're encouraged to structure our own time a lot but we have a lot of tutor support to make sure we're structuring it 'right' and we do have a LOT of guided reading and an essay a week, so I guess its not completely remote.
I think that they give you the length of time that they do due to all the other stuff you are supposed to do. We have 4 hours contact time a week in 3rd year and odd supervision meetings here and there. Our weekly reading for modules is usually several 100 pages fr each. We then have presentations that we have to give for each module, which take a fair amount of time to prep, as we have to run the whole seminar that we present on. A lot of our tutors like us to hand in detailed essay plans for the essayd for that module before we go on break. A lot of us on top of that then have interviews for further uni courses or jobs. Whilst I think a dssertation of 12,000 words (for us) can take a month of two, with everything else that has to be balanced around it your time just gets eaten up (or mine does anyway lol). I am relieved I don't have to hand mine in until March.
Reply 28
Original post by moomin_love
Why don't you do work experience then?! This is what I don't get about everyone doing a degree. They think that all they need is a degree and then they apply for jobs/graduate schemes etc and then go "oh I got rejected". Instead of wasting your time like you have basically said you have done and considering you only have 2 hours a week why aren't you doing work experience in your spare time? I'm in my second year of my history degree and so have 7-8 hours of contact time and still manage to do another course and work experience in my spare time, plus my 5 essays, 3 presentations and seminar preparation for all modules. Plus I have a social life. It isn't hard to make yourself stand out from the crowd. It's just laziness considering you know what you should be doing and haven't bothered.

Have fun:

How do you only have 2 hours?! Everyone I know doing History has 4/5 hours in their third year... 1 lecture + 3 hr special subject seminar + 1 single module seminar.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending