The Student Room Group

Dentistry Newcastle 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
$np
OP
Original post by ipr
Heyyy :smile:
I have mine tomorrow and I'm quite nervous! Do you mean news as in general news and/or the latest dental news?

latest dental news :smile: or any dental news that uve found interesting! good luck:smile:
Reply 41
Original post by $np
latest dental news :smile: or any dental news that uve found interesting! good luck:smile:

Do you think talking about the NHS reforms would be suitable ? I mean, it has been a while since it was announced however it is quite interesting & very important to know!
Original post by orange.bananna
You go through the faculty of medical sciences door, and then turn right, there is a double door infront of you - if I remember correctly, and the Dental School recpetion is straight ahead of you, once you go through the double doors. I think.

Thanks buddy!
Original post by bubbletrouble
hi can someone help me with directions to the dental school for interview pleaseeeeeeeeeeee :smile:
if i'm not wrong is the entrance to the dental school general office through the building which says "the faculty of medical sciences"?

Yep, walk through the big purple- patterned doors where it says "Faculty of Medical Sciences), turn right and you'll see the dental school reception right ahead of you (they have a ginormous sign behind the desk now so there's no mistaking it :smile: )

Good luck!
Reply 44
$np
OP
Original post by Ayshizzle
Erm there's 3 books you'll defo need- a physiology book by Silverthorn, Liebgott's Anatomical Basis of Dentistry, and it's good to have the Atlas of Head and Neck anatomy by McMinn. There's also a dental anatomy colouring book which is good fun :smile:.

In the first term the cell biology lecturer (John Taylor) will try his hardest to get you to buy a cell biology textbook (cos he gets some commission from the sales) but DON'T BUY IT. You don't need it much after the first 6 weeks and it costs like 40 quid or something- complete waste of money!

Obvs you'll need more textbooks as you go along but you'll find out about those in 2nd year and beyond :smile:

would you recommend newcastle based on the city and the nightlife? :smile:
Original post by $np
would you recommend newcastle based on the city and the nightlife? :smile:

Yep they sure know how to have a good time up here! There's tonnes of different types of places to go to, cheap trebles bars, and our own dentsoc is renowned for being one of the best in the country! £80 gets you lifetime membership where you get free drinks at the socials which are held every other Friday (or thereabouts) in our own bar that we have in the dental school.

The city itself is lovely too, good for shopping and eating out! And it's only 10 mins from campus :smile:
Reply 46
$np
OP
Original post by SRK.
Do you think talking about the NHS reforms would be suitable ? I mean, it has been a while since it was announced however it is quite interesting & very important to know!

definitely talk about something your interested in and something you can answer questions on. I talked about how young dentists are going to private because of the reform
Reply 47

Original post by $np

Thanks! Ahhh this time tomorrow it'll be over!
Reply 48
$np
OP
Original post by ipr
Thanks! Ahhh this time tomorrow it'll be over!

haha let us know how it goesss! you will prbs find out the day after:biggrin:
Original post by $np
definitely talk about something your interested in and something you can answer questions on. I talked about how young dentists are going to private because of the reform

Is this the 2006 reform or has there been a more recent one?
Reply 50

Yeh will be 2006 reform
Reply 51

Original post by $np
haha let us know how it goesss! you will prbs find out the day after:biggrin:

How was your interview? Any tips?
Reply 52

Original post by ps3g4m3r
Yeh will be 2006 reform

There's a new 2010/2011 dental pilot programme which is scheduled to be implemented fully in 2013/2014.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_122660

The 2006 contract was basically crap, caused lots of problems, didn't increase patient access, the NHS lost lots of dentists ... so hopefully this one should be better.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
$np
OP
Original post by apply2012
How was your interview? Any tips?

know your ps inside out! and read up on dental news. relax and be really friendly! they are really nice:biggrin:
I had an interview on november 23rd and got my offer on november 24th but haven't had any accommodation information yet? Has anybody who has an offer received accommodation information yet?
Original post by *Ria-L*
There's a new 2010/2011 dental pilot programme which is scheduled to be implemented fully in 2013/2014.

http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Publicationsandstatistics/Publications/PublicationsPolicyAndGuidance/DH_122660

The 2006 contract was basically crap, caused lots of problems, didn't increase patient access, the NHS lots out on lots of dentists ... so hopefully this one should be better.

ahh thanks for the link! i would give you a thumbs up but it seems I have rated you before haha
Original post by braithwaite888
I had an interview on november 23rd and got my offer on november 24th but haven't had any accommodation information yet? Has anybody who has an offer received accommodation information yet?

Nope. I think they are more likely to send accommodation information after all offers have been given out.
Reply 57

Original post by $np
know your ps inside out! and read up on dental news. relax and be really friendly! they are really nice:biggrin:

Coolies, thanks. By Dental news do you mean the reforms?
Reply 58
$np
OP
Original post by apply2012
Coolies, thanks. By Dental news do you mean the reforms?

anything you want :smile:
anything that interests you to do with dentistry in the news
Reply 59
Had an interview yesterday but haven't heard anything yet, should I take that as a rejection?

Quick Reply

Latest