Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Giff Gaff

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a freind who does the £10 a month internet/text/calls goodybag on giff gaff for his phone, but he NEVER gets 3g signal, at first i thought maybe it was because O2 and vodafone do 3g differently (and his phone is vodafone branded) but on wikipedia it says they run on the same frequencies so was wondering if any one else had the same problem? or if they is a solution.

i've done some troubleshooting on his phone and it is ready to accept 3g signal and what not. pretty sure it is also not a coverage thing as O2 advertise near where we live.

any advice on possibly finding a solution

note:
    the deal looks good aat first but with only 2g not 3g, it actually seems pretty poor. is this possibly how giff gaff can offer such a service
    • 54 followers

ReputationRep:
    GiffGaff definitely supports 3G, so that shouldn't be the issue.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has he tried another O2 SIM to see if that still works?

Giffgaff piggy-backs off of O2's network, so their coverage is exactly the same. http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker doesn't show any problems where you live?

Does your friend have the Giffgaff APN settings enabled and correct?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    im on it, i never had a problem... my room at uni is effectively a fortified chamber regarding getting a signal through, while thats where i get the lowest bars, i can STILL make phone calls/ texts/etc...

london/nottingham= no problem for me so far and ive used it for perhaps a year i think?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beenman500)
    I have a freind who does the £10 a month internet/text/calls goodybag on giff gaff for his phone, but he NEVER gets 3g signal, at first i thought maybe it was because O2 and vodafone do 3g differently (and his phone is vodafone branded) but on wikipedia it says they run on the same frequencies so was wondering if any one else had the same problem? or if they is a solution.

i've done some troubleshooting on his phone and it is ready to accept 3g signal and what not. pretty sure it is also not a coverage thing as O2 advertise near where we live.

any advice on possibly finding a solution

note:
    the deal looks good aat first but with only 2g not 3g, it actually seems pretty poor. is this possibly how giff gaff can offer such a service
    GiffGaff do support 3g, they use the O2 network so anywhere that you can get 3g if you use O2 you will get it on GiffGaff.

Go on their forum and ask for help. Make sure you actually post up what the phone is so people can help you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    His settings might not be correct. GiffGaff have several guides for the correct APN settings based on the phone that you have.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to text settings to 2020. Giffgaff will then text him back (auto text back) with the correct settings package for his phone and once he installs that it should work fine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    GiffGaff uses the O2 network, as has been said.
    Check here for the expected signal: http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So p*ssed off with GiffGaff right now

Spent over £200 for an unlocked Blackberry so i could switch to giffgaff from Voadafone ready for the blackberry service launch on what was meant to be the 24th November, its the 2nd December now and they still havem't even confirmed when it will definitely launch

And because I dont know when blackberry service will launch, i dont know whether to buy a goodybag meanwhile or not !
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Like a BAWS)
    So p*ssed off with GiffGaff right now

Spent over £200 for an unlocked Blackberry so i could switch to giffgaff from Voadafone ready for the blackberry service launch on what was meant to be the 24th November, its the 2nd December now and they still havem't even confirmed when it will definitely launch

And because I dont know when blackberry service will launch, i dont know whether to buy a goodybag meanwhile or not !
    They're targeting December 8
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try mid-january.... it was delayed... again.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys...

Unlocking Blackberry is a simple task. There is no need for any complications

How To Get A Free Blackberry Unlock Code

1. Type *#06# on your Blackberry.
    2. The first 15 digits of output is your IMEI number.
    3. Call your phone carrier and ask for an unlock code.
    4. They will request your Blackerry’s IMEI number in exchange.

Now that you have your Blackerry unlock code, we can start unlocking your phone. Here are the steps:

How To Unlock A Blackberry Phone

1. Turn off the Wireless Radio
    2. Next go to Settings > Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card
    3. Now, hold down the ALT key and press the keys that correspond to: m e p d
    4. Next hold down the ALT key again and press the keys that correspond to: m e p 2
    5. You should see a menu where you can put in a 16 digit code and 10 tries to punch it in correctly.
    6. After you enter in the code, press Enter.
    7. It should say “Device Unlocked” and you have an unlocked Blackberry.

If you have any questions or comments about unlocking Blackberry cell phones, then please feel free to leave a comment or review below. Happy unlocking and God bless!

BlackBerry Unlock Code

The instructions I gave above is the common known instructions. But what people don't know is trying to get a free restriction code from your provider may not always work.

With reference to my personal experience, I would recommend www . unlockgenie . com for genuine unlock code for your Blackberry phone.

Trust me. I have used this site for unlocking my BB9800. Not only i got my unlock code the very moment I placed my order, but also it worked the first time I tried. The customer support they have is extra attentive to your needs and delivers us the code in the chat-box itself if we are ok with it. Its a hyper-fast unlocking service these people have. Kudos to their technology.

The site is safe as all money transactions are carried out by google checkout. It is this reason which prompted me to try this site as i trust google for they will never support a scam site or a fraud one.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/camykumar <3
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is giff gaff any good for an iphone ? Is it fast etc?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adriang458)
    Is giff gaff any good for an iphone ? Is it fast etc?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    Yes, for me it works perfectly. Although on occasions I don't seem to be able to iMessage on 3G network alone. Although I think that's a problem with my iPhone and not the carrier itself

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 23, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.