The Student Room Group

Do you truly lose control when you get drunk

I'm asking because when I get drunk, I'm still in full control, like right now, I have downed half a bottle of Smirnoff red label but I'm fine, I feel in control, all mental processes fine (checked by doing past paper, lol) I'm slightly relaxed otherwise I'm all good, so when people say 'I only did 'x' because I was drunk' is it true? cos I think that's bull, you don't 'lose yourself' when drunk, you're still accountable for your actions

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I agree with you in that people don't 'lose themselves' when they're drunk - they don't do anything that they didn't already have some sort of desire to do.
But sitting at home drinking on your own doing past papers? Oh dear. :frown:
Original post by wizzar
I'm asking because when I get drunk, I'm still in full control, like right now, I have downed half a bottle of Smirnoff red label but I'm fine, I feel in control, all mental processes fine (checked by doing past paper, lol) I'm slightly relaxed otherwise I'm all good, so when people say 'I only did 'x' because I was drunk' is it true? cos I think that's bull, you don't 'lose yourself' when drunk, you're still accountable for your actions

Spend 3/4 hours drinking and then check your cognitive abilities again. :wink:
Original post by wizzar

sitting alone 'drinking' 1/2 a bottle of vodka and doing a past paper? rock n' roll.

[refer to my sig also]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I (almost) never allow myself to lose control.
However, I am much more suggestible and likely to think up stupid ideas to do than when sober. It's like I still think of these things and then instantly discount them when sober - I seem to be more 'creative' in my mischief :colone:
It's a bit difficult to see the downside of things when you're drunk.
Reply 6
Original post by crocker710
sitting alone 'drinking' 1/2 a bottle of vodka and doing a past paper? rock n' roll.

[refer to my sig also]

Strong signature picture to OP content ratio.

Anyway, it depends on the rate at which I drink. There has been one or two times where I've drank too much too fast and completely lost control and don't remember any of it.
Reply 7
Feeling in control and being in control are two separate things, but having said that, alcohol does affect our ability to make decisions, so yes we make decisions that we wouldn't when we were sober. I do disagree however that the alocohol can be blamed in any way though; people choose to take alcohol knowing fully its effects upon their decion making, and so they cannot be exempted from responsibility.
Reply 8
Original post by Piko_Piko
I agree with you in that people don't 'lose themselves' when they're drunk - they don't do anything that they didn't already have some sort of desire to do.
But sitting at home drinking on your own doing past papers? Oh dear. :frown:

I agree with this, alcohol never really makes you do anything that you had no intention of doing, it only makes it much easier for you to do what you already desired, so you can't blame the booze
Reply 9
Original post by wizzar

Drink more, half a bottle of vodka is only like 13 or so units of alcohol.

And, of course you lose control when your drunk, and yes you do stupid things when your drunk.

Saying you are in control when drunk, when only drinking half a bottle of vodka is not evidence for it.
Reply 10
Original post by The Entity
Drink more, half a bottle of vodka is only like 13 or so units of alcohol.

And, of course you lose control when your drunk, and yes you do stupid things when your drunk.

Saying you are in control when drunk, when only drinking half a bottle of vodka is not evidence for it.

True, but I've finished the bottle and I even bought another bottle which I'm now half way through, still haven't 'lost myself' I'm buzzed yes, but I'm still me, still worried about Jan exams, still in full mental control... So you have actually lost yourself? to the point where you were no longer responsible for your actions?
I've seen people lose total control to the point that they truly do not know what they are doing, are totally unobservant, and have collapsed. Not nice.

People have different reactions to different amounts of alcohol, it goes without saying. In my experience, the emotions that people are feeling before they get drunk are exaggerated by the time they're smashed. This is the same for their personality traits too.

Perhaps because you're on your own, you're not as hyped up as you would be if you were out with friends?
When drunk you do "lose yourself" I reckon. I have done things I previously had no desire to and wouldn't do now when drunk (nothing awful).

I wouldn't say any embarrassment over a "stupid" thing done when drunk is fair either, because alcohol completely wrecks your ability to think the same way that sober people do.
Reply 13
I have been drunk many times since i started drinking at about 16. I am now 21 and there has only been 3/4 times that i have totally lost control.

One time i was at a house party and the next morning i was told that i took a piss on the sofa lol. Did not remember at all.

Another time, i was out at a uni rave and remember waking up the next day at my friends house with no idea how i got there, with vomit all over his room.

Moral of the story, Dont mix your drinks and you will not lose total control. When you start drinking, choose one drink and stick to it for the night.
Reply 14
Original post by wizzar
True, but I've finished the bottle and I even bought another bottle which I'm now half way through, still haven't 'lost myself' I'm buzzed yes, but I'm still me, still worried about Jan exams, still in full mental control... So you have actually lost yourself? to the point where you were no longer responsible for your actions?

You are still responsible for your actions when drunk, of course. But I would say being drunk makes you lose the ability to see what are not innapropriate actions. You can do things which you might consider when sober, but would normally make the decision not to do.

And what size bottle are you drinking? Surely only the small ones, because I don't believe you could have had one and a half large bottles and still be on TSR! :tongue:
Reply 15
Original post by icedragon
You are still responsible for your actions when drunk, of course. But I would say being drunk makes you lose the ability to see what are not innapropriate actions. You can do things which you might consider when sober, but would normally make the decision not to do.

And what size bottle are you drinking? Surely only the small ones, because I don't believe you could have had one and a half large bottles and still be on TSR! :tongue:

lol, Half of the large one liter ones and half of a half liter bottle, but I've been drinking over a length of time so maybe that's why I'm still here, I wont dare drink a lot in a short period, this stuff can be lethal!

BTW why does everyone seem shocked that I'm drinking alone, on this occasion? I mean cmon, it's not like you HAVE To drink with other people.
Reply 16
Original post by wizzar
lol, Half of the large one liter ones and half of a half liter bottle, but I've been drinking over a length of time so maybe that's why I'm still here, I wont dare drink a lot in a short period, this stuff can be lethal!

BTW why does everyone seem shocked that I'm drinking alone, on this occasion? I mean cmon, it's not like you HAVE To drink with other people.

Drinking is usually a social activity. I might have a beer on my own once in a while when watching the football or something, but I wouldn't be drinking vodka on my own, especially not in that quantity!
Reply 17
Original post by wizzar

Drinking is usually a social activity. I might have a beer on my own once in a while when watching the football or something, but I wouldn't be drinking vodka on my own, especially not in that quantity!
Original post by wizzar

How big is this bottle?
Reply 19
Original post by LordBradburn
How big is this bottle?

Well, today I finished of half of the liter one from yesterday and the new one is approx 1/4 of a liter,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending