The Student Room Group

Edexcel chemistry - unit 2 19th january 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by arnab
how do u work out if a compound has an overall dipole moment or not?

Ok initially, when you have a compound you have to look for whether the compound as either of the following compounds - F,O,N, Cl. If it has these elements then it causes bond polarity. The presence of this elements will only be able to tell you whether the bonds are polar or not, but will not tell you whether the molecule is polar. IF Tthe shape is symmetric (linear,trigonal planar or tetrahedral) & the dipoles cancel out then the overall molecule is non polar thus it only has london forces. If it is not then it can either be permanent dipole dipole attractions or hydrogen bonding...

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 121
Why Cl? I don't understand.
Reply 122
Original post by aqua05
Ok initially, when you have a compound you have to look for whether the compound as either of the following compounds - F,O,N, Cl. If it has these elements then it causes bond polarity. The presence of this elements will only be able to tell you whether the bonds are polar or not, but will not tell you whether the molecule is polar. IF Tthe shape is symmetric (linear,trigonal planar or tetrahedral) & the dipoles cancel out then the overall molecule is non polar thus it only has london forces. If it is not then it can either be permanent dipole dipole attractions or hydrogen bonding...

hope this helps :smile:

so if the shapes are "linear,trigonal planar or tetrahedral", then they will always be non-polar and overall have no dipole moment?
Reply 123
can anyone tell why the answer to both the question are B for part1 and A for part 2?
Reply 124
Original post by arnab
can anyone tell why the answer to both the question are B for part1 and A for part 2?

Not sure but this is what I think

For a), hydrogen bonding in water

For b) the longer chain has the higher boiling point, so its a choice between the two butanes and it would be chlorobutane beacuse the C-Cl bond is stronger than a C-I bond. I don't know why the answer should be A.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by A-haaa

Original post by A-haaa
Not sure but this is what I think

For a), hydrogen bonding in water

For b) the longer chain has the higher boiling point, so its a choice between the two butanes and it would be chlorobutane beacuse the C-Cl bond is stronger than a C-I bond. I don't know why the answer should be A.

a. HF can also hydrogen bond, but water can hydrogen bond twice per molecule.

b. Same length carbon chain but iodine has more electrons so stronger london forces.
Original post by arnab

:yep: your correct, remember that water can make more hydrogen bonds per molecule as opposed to ammonia . more on this can be found in

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/atoms/bonding/hbond.html
Reply 127
Can anyone help me out over here...pleasee???!?!?

In the june 2009 paper unit 2...Question 21
Could anyone tell me why HBr doesnot have hydrogen bonding where as HF has ??

for part b) it says why is propanone able to dissolve a wide range of substances?? I dont understand,,how does it have hydrogen bonding ??? It only has permanent dipole dipole attractions & london forces isnt it ???

Any help provided is much appreciated :smile:

Original post by aqua05
Can anyone help me out over here...pleasee???!?!?

In the june 2009 paper unit 2...Question 21
Could anyone tell me why HBr doesnot have hydrogen bonding where as HF has ??

for part b) it says why is propanone able to dissolve a wide range of substances?? I dont understand,,how does it have hydrogen bonding ??? It only has permanent dipole dipole attractions & london forces isnt it ???

Any help provided is much appreciated :smile:

I'm about to get off, so this should be quick.

Hydrogen bonding will occur when a hydrogen atom is bonded to a very electronegative atom such as F, O and N.
Br is not as electronegative as the elements I've listed above, so does not have hydrogen bonds.

You are correct in saying that propanone doesn't have hydrogen bonding, however, when it dissolves in water, it can FORM hydrogen bonds between the water molecules due to the carbon double bond O.

Remember, when it talks about dissolving, you have to concentrate on the INTER-MOLECULAR forces.
So propanone has london and permanent dipole dipole forces WITHIN its molecule but hydrogen bonding between water.
Also, propanone can dissolve in non polar solvents because it has similar bonds/can make similar bonds with the solvent.

Sorry, for the capital letters, though it would emphasise the point.

Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 129
Original post by NutterFrutter
a. HF can also hydrogen bond, but water can hydrogen bond twice per molecule.

b. Same length carbon chain but iodine has more electrons so stronger london forces.

but isnt a C-CL bond stronger then a C-I bond, meaning it will have a higher boiling point?
Reply 130
also does anyone have any extra question i can do, that are based on mole calculation and calculation related to titration?
Original post by arnab
but isnt a C-CL bond stronger then a C-I bond, meaning it will have a higher boiling point?

Yes it is. But the molecule itself is more stronger due to the bigger electron cloud and more electrons, so more energy required.
Reply 132
Original post by This Honest
Yes it is. But the molecule itself is more stronger due to the bigger electron cloud and more electrons, so more energy required.

ahh ok kl. Never learnt that before...thanks!!:smile:
Reply 133
I'm about to get off, so this should be quick.

Hydrogen bonding will occur when a hydrogen atom is bonded to a very electronegative atom such as F, O and N.
Br is not as electronegative as the elements I've listed above, so does not have hydrogen bonds.

You are correct in saying that propanone doesn't have hydrogen bonding, however, when it dissolves in water, it can FORM hydrogen bonds between the water molecules due to the carbon double bond O.

Remember, when it talks about dissolving, you have to concentrate on the INTER-MOLECULAR forces.
So propanone has london and permanent dipole dipole forces WITHIN its molecule but hydrogen bonding between water.
Also, propanone can dissolve in non polar solvents because it has similar bonds/can make similar bonds with the solvent.

Sorry, for the capital letters, though it would emphasise the point.

Hope it helps :smile:

Thank you so much :biggrin:
No worries about the capital letters..its helped me :biggrin:
Reply 134

its because it has stronger van der waals forces isnt it ??
Original post by aqua05
Thank you so much :biggrin:
No worries about the capital letters..its helped me :biggrin:

Your welcome :smile:

Original post by aqua05
its because it has stronger van der waals forces isnt it ??

:yes: because the iodine is a bigger molecue than chlorine
Reply 136
Next quiz question:

State the reagents and conditions for the following organic reactions.

(a) 1-bromobutane to butan-1-ol

(b) 1-chloropropane to prop-1-ene

(c) 1-iodopropane to propylamine

2 marks for each!
Reply 137
can anyone help me understand the answer to the 2nd question?
Reply 138
Original post by Cetacea
Next quiz question:

State the reagents and conditions for the following organic reactions.

(a) 1-bromobutane to butan-1-ol

(b) 1-chloropropane to prop-1-ene

(c) 1-iodopropane to propylamine

2 marks for each!

a >> heat under reflux with AQUEOUS sodium hydroxide

b >>> head under reflux with Alcoholic sodium hydroxide

C >>> heat it with alcoholic NH3

did it from the top of ma head, hope i am right
Reply 139
Original post by arnab
a >> heat under reflux with AQUEOUS sodium hydroxide

b >>> head under reflux with Alcoholic sodium hydroxide

C >>> heat it with alcoholic NH3

did it from the top of ma head, hope i am right

Spot on! For (c) though just remember to say 'heat with alcoholic NH3 in a sealed tube or container' to avoid contact with air.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending