The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone else with QMU offers accepted it?
Hi everyone,

I'm just back from travelling and have an interview on the 19th for UCL...I have totally freaked myself out from reading this forum! I can't believe 140 people are being interviewed!!!

Also all of you who listed your experience have so much, my confidence is plummeting!

Anyone who has interviewed for UCL in the past, would you mind sharing the format or any questions that have been asked?:confused:

I'm so nervous..best of luck to everyone!!
Reply 302
To anyone asking for people to share interview questions... really? :confused: Maybe I am just a bit mean, but we all know how competitive the courses are and I'm sure we all want a place as desperately as the next person. I'm not going to jeopardize my own potential place by giving someone else a chance to prepare answers for questions that I had to respond to spontaneously... sorry :tongue: As far as format is concerned, I think it was in the e-mail: presentation and Q&A about course, video to watch and then CRB form checking and 20 minute individual interview. Good luck to all !!
Maybe they meant people had already did the course? If I was going to an interview I wouldn't expect anyone to tell me what questions they had been asked if they were my compitition!

Good luck to everyone who has interview coming up!
Reply 304
Original post by rosie*1
To anyone asking for people to share interview questions... really? :confused: Maybe I am just a bit mean, but we all know how competitive the courses are and I'm sure we all want a place as desperately as the next person. I'm not going to jeopardize my own potential place by giving someone else a chance to prepare answers for questions that I had to respond to spontaneously... sorry :tongue: As far as format is concerned, I think it was in the e-mail: presentation and Q&A about course, video to watch and then CRB form checking and 20 minute individual interview. Good luck to all !!

Hi! No I don't think it's fair either! I had my interview at UCL last week and it is exactly as you've said! I won't be going into detail about the exact questions as I don't want to give anyone an unfair advantage - hope everyone understands!
Good Luck to you all I'll be at Newcastle this week! x

I think I may have given you a negative rep - I didn't mean to sorry!!
Reply 305
How did it go pimpom?
Yes I was referring to past pupils but then in hindsight why would they be still grazing these forums so I guess I was asking in vain...and fair enough I guess we all have to deal with it spontaneously as it should be. Just trying to find a way to calm the nerves...afraid there gona launch something unexpected at us like ask us to do a presentation or something?

Anyway good luck peeps
Reply 307
Hey everyone,

Congrats to all those who've recently got interviewed, and good luck with all the interviews!

I've got my Newcastle interview this Friday, and feeling pretty nervous! Anybody else going? Hope to meet some of you there!

I'm just waiting to hear back from Sheffield now but not heard anything yet, fingers crossed those still waiting hear soon!

Xxxx
Reply 308
Original post by rosie*1

Original post by Norasaurus
Yes I was referring to past pupils but then in hindsight why would they be still grazing these forums so I guess I was asking in vain...and fair enough I guess we all have to deal with it spontaneously as it should be. Just trying to find a way to calm the nerves...afraid there gona launch something unexpected at us like ask us to do a presentation or something?

Anyway good luck peeps

There are a couple of us on here who have been through it... I'm at Essex now but just here to offer encouragement really and I'm happy to share experiences of the actual course :smile: I won't be talking about interview questions because it's not fair and also I can't remember them anyway! I went to interviews at Essex, Newcastle and Sheffield and there was nothing unexpected so don't worry about that. It will follow the structure you have been given.

Good luck to everyone x
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 309
Original post by pimpom
Hi! No I don't think it's fair either! I had my interview at UCL last week and it is exactly as you've said! I won't be going into detail about the exact questions as I don't want to give anyone an unfair advantage - hope everyone understands!
Good Luck to you all I'll be at Newcastle

I think I may have given you a negative rep - I didn't mean to sorry!!

Don't worry- no offense taken! :smile: I'm quite new to this forum stuff and don't really get the whole 'rep' thing anyway, it's like FB but with a dislike button!

I just wish I could stop being so impatient, I mean I've just checked my e-mail for the third time today and what university is going to give out offers/interviews on a sunday??
Reply 310
Hello,

good luck to all your postgrad applicants!

Im planning on doing undergrad/BA Hons English Language and Linguistics as I am unsure between teaching or speech therapy. got offers from university for undergraduate level.

Can BA Hons in Sociology enable me to progess for the postgrad course in speech therapy? any applicants who did undergrad in sociology?

I am more and more considering speech therapy and I want to do it at post grad course rather than now (related to qualification/unsureness)

So I am just wondering is there any tips you can provide me with, reading through some peoples post its mostly about experience. Also, it seems that the course for postgrad seems very competitive, but im sure any postgrad course are too.

So where would people suggest I get experience?

nursery
care home
school/nursery for learning difficulties
Reply 311
Original post by jennifex
There are a couple of us on here who have been through it... I'm at Essex now but just here to offer encouragement really and I'm happy to share experiences of the actual course :smile: I won't be talking about interview questions because it's not fair and also I can't remember them anyway! I went to interviews at Essex, Newcastle and Sheffield and there was nothing unexpected so don't worry about that. It will follow the structure you have been given.

Good luck to everyone x

Hi Jennifex, I was just wondering what first degrees you/your fellow course mates have- is it the case that everyone has a Psychology/Linguistics background or is there some variation? Do you think different universities place different weight on the relevance of the first degree? I did notice that Newcastle specifically said applicants without a first degree in Psychology/Linguistics/Biomedical Sciences (or poss. Biology, sorry can't remember exactly) would only be considered in exceptional circumstances, but I wonder if this is the same for other places? Obviously the work experience element of the application also seems to be very important but I'm just curious as to how wide a variation in first degree subjects there is at Essex (and other unis, if anyone knows?) Thanks!
Reply 312
So we should hear back from Sheffield or City sometime in the next couple of weeks! Exciting and scary times xx
I have my UCL interview on Tuesday - i feel sick im so nervous! people on here have said theyre friendly & the individual interview goes quite quickly so thats calmed me a bit!

anyone else gonna be there on tues? xx
Original post by rachel2011
I have my UCL interview on Tuesday - i feel sick im so nervous! people on here have said theyre friendly & the individual interview goes quite quickly so thats calmed me a bit!

anyone else gonna be there on tues? xx

Hey Rachel,

I'll be there at UCL on Tuesday too - I'll be the quivering wreck in the corner!!! JK!! But I am pretty nervous too, especially about the video observation - I'm scared of it coming and I'm just like errrr I thought they spoke quite well!! lol I'm sure it'll be fine though, surely they can't make it too difficult can they because none of us have really done speech therapy in-depth xxx
Do I need to take any certificates with me to UCL interview (I'm not using them as any of the three pieces of information for CRB disclosure) - is it worth taking them for interview at all?? Hope everyone's interviews/ interview preps are going well xxxx
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
Oh wow, congratulations on your offer from Leeds Met! You must be so relieved :smile:
Good luck in your postgrad applications too! I really hope we hear from City soon! x

Hi Rachel congrats on Leeds! Was just wondering when you sent in your UCAS? I've applied to Leeds too and havn't heard back yet I applied on 6th of December.

I don't know whether to start emailing the places I havn't heard back from. I don't want ot seem like I'm pestering especially since the deadline was only yesterday :redface:

Anyone heard from City?
Reply 317
Hi guys, Im new to this forum but great to read all your posts, it puts the mind at ease! I'm a primary school teacher and working with year 1's for the past 4 years! I've been declined from Newcastle but still awaiting word on Reading! Im just wondering have most people who have also applied to Reading heard something from them at this stage? I'm a little disheartened at this stage and don't want to ring and hinder my chances by seeming impatient!
Original post by Claire-H
So we should hear back from Sheffield or City sometime in the next couple of weeks! Exciting and scary times xx

Aaaagghh, I am so scared! Got all my hopes pinned on City because I got rejected from Reading and didn't apply anywhere else. I'm quite scared to check my emails in case there is an email saying "Sorry, you were unsuccessful". Anyway good luck to all :smile: x
Original post by Bersy27
Hi guys, Im new to this forum but great to read all your posts, it puts the mind at ease! I'm a primary school teacher and working with year 1's for the past 4 years! I've been declined from Newcastle but still awaiting word on Reading! Im just wondering have most people who have also applied to Reading heard something from them at this stage? I'm a little disheartened at this stage and don't want to ring and hinder my chances by seeming impatient!

Hey! Welcome to the forum :smile:

I applied to Reading and got an email back in December to say I had been unsuccessful in my application. So I guess no news is good news! Good luck x

Quick Reply