The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
My interview was on the 3rd May. I'm really excited about meeting everyone too!! Where is everyone from? Will you all be living in Colchester or commuting from elsewhere? I'm from Somerset so will definitely be moving to Colchester :smile: xxx

Hey, I'm orginally from a small village in Leicestershire but I've been living in York doing my Bsc in Psychology for the last three years. How about you? Yeah I'll definitely be living in Colchester, are you hoping to find a house with other people or live on campus? xxx
Original post by Gemma25
Hey, I'm orginally from a small village in Leicestershire but I've been living in York doing my Bsc in Psychology for the last three years. How about you? Yeah I'll definitely be living in Colchester, are you hoping to find a house with other people or live on campus? xxx

Ah cool. I'm from a town called Taunton in Somerset and I went to University in Bath, but I graduated 2 years ago now. I'm not sure about accomodation yet.... was going to see what the majority of people on the course were doing. Do you think you will live in a house or on campus? Its so nice to chat to people on here :smile: xxx
Reply 922
Ah cool. I'm from a town called Taunton in Somerset and I went to University in Bath, but I graduated 2 years ago now. I'm not sure about accomodation yet.... was going to see what the majority of people on the course were doing. Do you think you will live in a house or on campus? Its so nice to chat to people on here :smile: xxx

Most people at my interview had been graduated for a few years, I think I'm going to be one of the youngest on the course! Yeah I'm going to see what everyone does, but I think I'd prefer off campus as there's no parking on campus and the accommodation is fairly expensive, plus they don't have much post grad accom. I know, it's great to be able to talk about the course, and it'll be nice in September when we know people a bit xxx
Reply 923
Original post by Gemma25
Most people at my interview had been graduated for a few years, I think I'm going to be one of the youngest on the course! Yeah I'm going to see what everyone does, but I think I'd prefer off campus as there's no parking on campus and the accommodation is fairly expensive, plus they don't have much post grad accom. I know, it's great to be able to talk about the course, and it'll be nice in September when we know people a bit xxx

Hey, sorry just being nosy here :P But there is postgrad accommodation on campus, one of the towers is exclusively for postgrads and there is accommodation at the quays which isn't far from campus. Only one or two people from my course live on campus but they didn't struggle to get the accom. You definitely wanna bring your car if you can tho as getting to some of the placements without a car can be a bit of a pain! xx
My interview was on the 3rd May. I'm really excited about meeting everyone too!! Where is everyone from? Will you all be living in Colchester or commuting from elsewhere? I'm from Somerset so will definitely be moving to Colchester :smile: xxx

My interview was on the 1st May. Haven't met anyone on here yet who was there that day. I'm from Liverpool so I am absolutely moving!! I'm gonna buy a flat near Colchester/ uni in the next month or so and rent out the other room so I'm not on my own :-) I figured because we could be anywhere when we're on placement, if I get a place near uni but near train station it could work out quite well. xxxx
Original post by Alr22
Hi Gemma, I had my interview on the 2nd of May with you and I've been offered a place so thought I'd say hi! I think I was in the group interviews with you.

Has anyone had anything through the post or any other emails from Paula yet? I sent my cheque off but havent heard anything since last Friday.

Abi x

Hey, I sent my acceptance letter and cheque off on Tuesday (22nd May) and ive just tracked it on royal mail and it was delivered and signed for yesterday so I'm sure yours will definitely be there by now! They are probably sorting out our crb forms and sending our info onto the NHS for bursaries. Im sure we'll hear some more news this week- I'm hoping so anyways :-) xxxx
Reply 926
Guessing they are busy sending out rejection emails to those of us who haven't heard yet :wink:
Reply 927
Original post by lollypop1389
Hey, I sent my acceptance letter and cheque off on Tuesday (22nd May) and ive just tracked it on royal mail and it was delivered and signed for yesterday so I'm sure yours will definitely be there by now! They are probably sorting out our crb forms and sending our info onto the NHS for bursaries. Im sure we'll hear some more news this week- I'm hoping so anyways :-) xxxx

Thanks :smile: im eager to hear about what happens next and they said about sending round peoples emails so that will be good! so much to organise! do you know if there is a facebook group at all? x x x
Reply 928
Original post by Gemma25
Hey Abi, yeah I remember, well done for getting in!

I've had nothing else yet either, I'm hoping they'll e-mail to let us know when they receive our cheques, otherwise I might call to check in a few days xxx

Thanks :smile: well done to you too, its nice to have met at least one person who will be on the course! good luck with your last term in York x x x
Reply 929

Im living in Cardiff at the moment so I'll be looking for somewhere to live in Colchester. I think I'm leaning towards off campus accomodation, will be interesting to see what other people are thinking of doing xxx
Original post by Gemma25

Original post by lollypop1389
My interview was on the 1st May. Haven't met anyone on here yet who was there that day. I'm from Liverpool so I am absolutely moving!! I'm gonna buy a flat near Colchester/ uni in the next month or so and rent out the other room so I'm not on my own :-) I figured because we could be anywhere when we're on placement, if I get a place near uni but near train station it could work out quite well. xxxx

Oh wow, people on the course are from all over the UK. So excited to meet you all! Yes, I think I am swaying to living off campus too simply because of the car factor. I want to bring my car and if there's no parking for halls residents then that might be a problem....although the social side of living in halls would probably be quite good? xxx
Original post by Alr22
Im living in Cardiff at the moment so I'll be looking for somewhere to live in Colchester. I think I'm leaning towards off campus accomodation, will be interesting to see what other people are thinking of doing xxx

Yes I think I am leaning towards off campus accomodation too at the moment. Did you go to Uni in Cardiff? xxx
Reply 932
Yes I think I am leaning towards off campus accomodation too at the moment. Did you go to Uni in Cardiff? xxx

nope I went to uni in York, graduated in 2010 and moved home to Cardiff :smile: Where do you live at the moment? x x x
Reply 933
Original post by Alr22
Thanks :smile: well done to you too, its nice to have met at least one person who will be on the course! good luck with your last term in York x x x

Thankyou, I officially finish a week today, cannot wait! xxx
Reply 934
Oh wow, people on the course are from all over the UK. So excited to meet you all! Yes, I think I am swaying to living off campus too simply because of the car factor. I want to bring my car and if there's no parking for halls residents then that might be a problem....although the social side of living in halls would probably be quite good? xxx

Yeah I think a car is going to be pretty essential for placements so parking is a key factor. Yeah, the social side would be better in halls, but as there's only 30 on the course I'm hoping it'll be easy to get to know people anyway, and if people end up sharing houses it'll be even easier xxx
So im up early this morning ready to do a 10 minute presentation at uni. And then i am finished!!! so excited!!! Im really looking forward to meeting everyone at Essex uni! I think a course night out im Essex will be essential at some point in the 'Freshers' week if everyone is up for it? xx
Reply 936
A huge congrats to all of you who have secured places and a good luck to those still waiting. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all.

I'm actually having a bit of a wobble this week about the whole SLT thing and was wondering if anybody had any thoughts or experiences that would slap me back into shape.

I've been accepted at QMU to start this August. I'm a mature student in my late 30s and reasonably new to Scotland. I can earn a reasonable income in what I'm currently doing (over the starting salary for SLT'ers) and to give this up for two years, spend over £16k on a Masters, and potentially not secure a role afterwards, is now starting to hit home. It seems to be continuing and downward doom and gloom in the EU which leads me to question whether things will be better in two years as I'd hoped. We can move overseas if need be but we're also hoping to secure a mortgage this year so there is the chance we'll be settled enough post-Masters to not want to. Should I also be focusing on popping out a baby before it's too late and looking at the career thing later instead?

I've never been one of these people who've known since age 5 that they want to be a doctor or pilot or whatever. I landed on SLT through a process of elimination, looking at my values, character, work experience etc. I'm 80% sure I want to do it. But is that enough?

I'm sorry if this seems unappreciative to anybody who hasn't secured roles. It's just such a huge step for me.

All thoughts very much appreciated.
Hi Winctr!

I know how you feel and I'll bet it's mainly becuase of the fees at QMU!

SLT definitely wasn't something I knew I wanted to do from a young age but I have realised over the years of experience that I've had that it is absolutely the perfect job for me and I'm so happy that I've realised that now!

The fees are so intimidating. I got married last year and I have a 9 year old daughter. I am 28 and my husband is 32 and we are desparate to start saving for a house. I know the next couple of years are going to be so hard financially. And also with time too. It's going to be so hard dealing with placements and stuff when I have to do the school run.

So yes - I am properly stressed out about it all. But I am also really looking forward to it. QMU is a gorgeous uni and I am sure the course will be amazing! Job prospects are not great, but to be honest, the prospects for any job are not great at the moment are they?

I just keep telling myself that the next two years will be very hard but that it will be worth it in the end. I cannot wait to be an SLT, so everything else can wait for another couple of years!!

I hope you feel better about it all soon!! x
Reply 938
Original post by winctr
A huge congrats to all of you who have secured places and a good luck to those still waiting. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you all.

I'm actually having a bit of a wobble this week about the whole SLT thing and was wondering if anybody had any thoughts or experiences that would slap me back into shape.

I've been accepted at QMU to start this August. I'm a mature student in my late 30s and reasonably new to Scotland. I can earn a reasonable income in what I'm currently doing (over the starting salary for SLT'ers) and to give this up for two years, spend over £16k on a Masters, and potentially not secure a role afterwards, is now starting to hit home. It seems to be continuing and downward doom and gloom in the EU which leads me to question whether things will be better in two years as I'd hoped. We can move overseas if need be but we're also hoping to secure a mortgage this year so there is the chance we'll be settled enough post-Masters to not want to. Should I also be focusing on popping out a baby before it's too late and looking at the career thing later instead?

I've never been one of these people who've known since age 5 that they want to be a doctor or pilot or whatever. I landed on SLT through a process of elimination, looking at my values, character, work experience etc. I'm 80% sure I want to do it. But is that enough?

I'm sorry if this seems unappreciative to anybody who hasn't secured roles. It's just such a huge step for me.

All thoughts very much appreciated.

I think this is a wall that quite a few mature students hit when thinking about studying anything, not just SLT. I guess there is no easy answer, you have to think about how much you really want to do SLT and whether it's worth putting other priorities on hold for the next 2 years. It seems like a long time but it will go fast, honestly I am nearly at the end of my first year and it feels like no time at all since I started!

I'm guessing the main thing you're grappling with is the tuition fees (it would have been the same for me - I would have gone to QMU and had some major financial problems had I not been offered a place at Essex). Have you considered deferring for a year and applying to NHS funded courses for next year? I know it basically adds a year to the time before you're qualified, which isn't ideal, but it seems like any way you look at it there will need to be compromise :frown: There are people in their 50's who have done my course so it's never too late!

Looking at the job situation, I'm (personally) not too worried, I know that it's not great and we might not get jobs as soon as we graduate... we might have to do something else for a while after graduating... but I think eventually you would get a job in SLT if you were flexible about the location and the setting you wanted to work in. Also you never know what the economy is gonna be like in a couple of years time. But yeah there is a risk there, but that aspect seems to be the same for most jobs at the minute :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 939
Original post by dreamyfleur
So im up early this morning ready to do a 10 minute presentation at uni. And then i am finished!!! so excited!!! Im really looking forward to meeting everyone at Essex uni! I think a course night out im Essex will be essential at some point in the 'Freshers' week if everyone is up for it? xx

Congratulations on finishing, I finish on Thursday and I cannot wait! Then we have ages to wait until the course starts though =( Do you have any nice summer plans? Definitely up for a course night out xxx

Quick Reply

Latest