The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by Rachel_Joanna
Hi girls. I got the CRB email through today too :smile: Quick question, did you put down all the houses you have lived at during the last 5 years (including Uni Halls, and Uni houses etc) or just your main address/ parents address?? I'm really confused and want to get the online form done asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also Georgina how did you find out about the times and dates that we can go to the Uni with our documents by? Thanks xxx

Hey, I got the e-mail too so I thought I'd reply and try and help. I put down all my uni housing as this is what I've had to do for previous CRBs. The information about dates is in a link in an email you get after you fill in the online form, but as I understand it you don't have to do it before the 16th pf July, that is just the dates for different opening hours, you can do it later. xxx
Reply 981
I was going to put down all my uni housing as like you say that's what all other CRB's want, but I wasnt given that option - I put down that I'd lived at home for quite a number of years because thats when we moved here but maybe I was supposed to put from when I moved back permanently from uni? Now I'm not sure whether it will come back as if I've done it wrong, or if I tell them when I take the documents into uni?

Yeah the dates come up in a link after you fill out the form - I also assume that we can take them in later but they were just the dates on there at the moment, i wasnt sure if it might close for longer periods after that because of summer holidays.

xxx
Reply 982
People who are planning on long train journeys to essex with CRBs... it's worth ringing the uni before you book anything, as in my year some people hadn't come down over the summer, and they were able to just bring it in on the first day of term. Annoying for me as I had spent lots of money on a train ticket down to hand mine in before the start of term.

You don't want to waste loads of money & time on trains if you don't have to, so ring Paula and explain your situation if it will cost you a lot/ take a long time. They might say you can just bring it in September.
Reply 983
Original post by jennifex
People who are planning on long train journeys to essex with CRBs... it's worth ringing the uni before you book anything, as in my year some people hadn't come down over the summer, and they were able to just bring it in on the first day of term. Annoying for me as I had spent lots of money on a train ticket down to hand mine in before the start of term.

You don't want to waste loads of money & time on trains if you don't have to, so ring Paula and explain your situation if it will cost you a lot/ take a long time. They might say you can just bring it in September.

If I lived far I'd definitely take your advice! Very helpful :smile: I don't mind going - I'm only a cheap 45 minute train ride away

xxx
Reply 984
Hey

I am literally so excited as I'm writing this as I have been looking for you lot since I got my very unexpected phone call weeks ago!!

I had my interview on the 1st May also and can't believe I have finally got on the course! I have just completed the online CRB form, but just looked up train tickets and it's going to cost me around £100 to get there for 15mins! Fun times!!

A fb group is a great idea as this is all getting a bit confusing with so many threads. Has it been set up yet? If not I don't mind doing it?

Does anyone have any accommodation plans yet?

So so glad to have found this thread and a huge CONGRATULATIONS to everyone!!!!

Becky. x x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 985
Original post by Bex31
Hey

I am literally so excited as I'm writing this as I have been looking for you lot since I got my very unexpected phone call weeks ago!!

I had my interview on the 1st May also and can't believe I have finally got on the course! I have just completed the online CRB form, but just looked up train tickets and it's going to cost me around £100 to get there for 15mins! Fun times!!

A fb group is a great idea as this is all getting a bit confusing with so many threads. Has it been set up yet? If not I don't mind doing it?

Becky. x x

Hey, glad you found us! It's so nice to be able to talk to everyone.

Yeah I'm going to try and combine my CRB trip with the medical exam whenever we can do that, and maybe look at houses at the same time as ideally I'd like to share a house with people so I have somewhere to park my car.

I don't think it's been set up yet, though Rachel may be in the process of doing so, I'm not sure.

Congratulations to you to, I can't wait to meet everyone, maybe we should try to co-ordinate going to hand in documents.

xxx
Reply 986
Original post by Gemma25

Original post by Bex31

Guys, dunno if you saw my above post, but you might save yourselves a trip just by ringing the uni and explaining if you live far away or it's out of your way/ expensive to go down there. I didn't have my medical until I actually arrived at uni, which was fine, and some people didn't bring their CRBs down over the summer and just brought them at the start of term. Don't waste time/ money if you don't have to! I'm sure they wouldn't expect you to spend a lot of money just to come and show your CRB.
Reply 987
Original post by jennifex
Guys, dunno if you saw my above post, but you might save yourselves a trip just by ringing the uni and explaining if you live far away or it's out of your way/ expensive to go down there. I didn't have my medical until I actually arrived at uni, which was fine, and some people didn't bring their CRBs down over the summer and just brought them at the start of term. Don't waste time/ money if you don't have to! I'm sure they wouldn't expect you to spend a lot of money just to come and show your CRB.

Thanks for the advice, if I end up in halls I will definitely do this, however, if I'm in a shared house I will probably need to go down to view houses and sign contracts anyway xxx
Hi girlies apologies havent been on much. I have finally finished uni and got a few results back, that combined with a holiday to Cuba and a gradball i am now shattered haha! Im so so excited to start, i got my CRB email and also just received my occupational health pack! has anyone had any bursary news yet? also my friend who is a practicing speech and language therapist said two books she recommends are

martin atkinson- Basic medical science for speech hearing and language therapy students, and Gwen Lancaster- Phoneme factory- developing speech and language skills- A resource book for teaching and speech and language therapists.

She studied at Newcastle and said they really give guidence when learning and can be referred to lots in practice also! I will def be purchasing!!

If anyone sets up a facebook group my name is Victoria Elliott- and it is probably best to find me under the Nottingham Trent network as apparently there are quite a few of me!

Hope everyone is well xxxxxxx
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Gemma25
Hey, I got the e-mail too so I thought I'd reply and try and help. I put down all my uni housing as this is what I've had to do for previous CRBs. The information about dates is in a link in an email you get after you fill in the online form, but as I understand it you don't have to do it before the 16th pf July, that is just the dates for different opening hours, you can do it later. xxx

Thanks Gemma :smile: I have done what you said and put down all of my uni housing addresses, just to be on the safe side! When do you think you will be going up/down to the Uni to hand in your CRB documents? I'm currently working full-time with only Tuesdays off so think I will have to go up on a Tuesday. Bit concerned about when i'm going to have time to sort out living arrangements though, lol. Might have to leave it until September.... xxx
Original post by Bex31
Hey

Becky. x x

Original post by Gemma25
Hey, glad you found us! It's so nice to be able to talk to everyone.

Yeah I'm going to try and combine my CRB trip with the medical exam whenever we can do that, and maybe look at houses at the same time as ideally I'd like to share a house with people so I have somewhere to park my car.

I don't think it's been set up yet, though Rachel may be in the process of doing so, I'm not sure.

Congratulations to you to, I can't wait to meet everyone, maybe we should try to co-ordinate going to hand in documents.

xxx

Hi Becky! Welcome to the Student Room :smile: And congratulations to you for getting on the MSc! I am so excited now, just want September to arrive already.

I haven't set up a Facebook group yet..... and I am actually going away today for a week. So I won't have much internet access (apart from via my phone) so please feel free to set one up if you want :smile: It will be great to have a little group to discuss things on and hopefully some more Essex 2012 applicants will find us too :smile:

Rachel xxx
Hi guys,

I've just been reading through your thread and it's all so interesting. However it's also freaked me out a little bit. Haha. I was thinking of applying for the accelerated course for 2013 (my first degree is in French and Spanish) but now I'm really worrying about a lack of practical experience as a lot of you guys seem to have LOADS. Did anyone take a year out to build up experience and then apply for the year after?

-During school I volunteered for about 3/4 years as a Brownie leader.
-In my first year at uni I mentored a child one on one with the charity Shine.
-My Dad had a stroke when I was pretty young so I have a huge amount of personal experience.
-I've read a fair bit around the subject (your suggestions are all really useful)
-And I've also studied a lot of linguistics modules. Language acquisition and development etc.

However...seeing as I've been away on my year abroad this year, I've not really done anything relevant in a while....I've got a few things set up for the summer hols, volunteering with some children's charities and stroke charities. I was hoping to do some shadowing but the placement has fallen through, although I am going to try and set up another.

I just really worry that this all looks really rushed as it will all be so recent and not sustained volunteering etc. despite the fact I've wanted to be a Speech Therapist for years and years.

Should I take a year out and then apply. Or perhaps should I apply anyway and see what happens and then take it from there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for all the garbled information!

Char xxx
Reply 992
Becky I found your group!

" University of Essex MSc Speech and Language Therapy 2012!! "

And have requested to join! :smile: Awesome of you to make it :smile:

And I remember you from interview day too! We spent quite a while in the entrance waiting for the individual interviews wondering what weird questions they could ask us!

xxx
Reply 993
Original post by charliecarly
Hi guys,

I've just been reading through your thread and it's all so interesting. However it's also freaked me out a little bit. Haha. I was thinking of applying for the accelerated course for 2013 (my first degree is in French and Spanish) but now I'm really worrying about a lack of practical experience as a lot of you guys seem to have LOADS. Did anyone take a year out to build up experience and then apply for the year after?

-During school I volunteered for about 3/4 years as a Brownie leader.
-In my first year at uni I mentored a child one on one with the charity Shine.
-My Dad had a stroke when I was pretty young so I have a huge amount of personal experience.
-I've read a fair bit around the subject (your suggestions are all really useful)
-And I've also studied a lot of linguistics modules. Language acquisition and development etc.

However...seeing as I've been away on my year abroad this year, I've not really done anything relevant in a while....I've got a few things set up for the summer hols, volunteering with some children's charities and stroke charities. I was hoping to do some shadowing but the placement has fallen through, although I am going to try and set up another.

I just really worry that this all looks really rushed as it will all be so recent and not sustained volunteering etc. despite the fact I've wanted to be a Speech Therapist for years and years.

Should I take a year out and then apply. Or perhaps should I apply anyway and see what happens and then take it from there?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for all the garbled information!

Char xxx

Why not now try and organise a regular volunteering slot somewhere relevant while you have the time to look into different places and ask to volunteer regularly there while its a whole year until the 2013 course starts? Then when it comes to doing the application you'll already have started or have put yourself down to volunteer for the whole year or however long until the course starts and for quite some time before interviews for courses start so you have that to talk about too.
I graduated last year and sorted out volunteering for a stroke group/centre in London on my one week day off per week as I work full time.

Georgina
xxx
Reply 994
Thanks Gemma :smile: I have done what you said and put down all of my uni housing addresses, just to be on the safe side! When do you think you will be going up/down to the Uni to hand in your CRB documents? I'm currently working full-time with only Tuesdays off so think I will have to go up on a Tuesday. Bit concerned about when i'm going to have time to sort out living arrangements though, lol. Might have to leave it until September.... xxx

I'll be going on a Tuesday too - Tuesdays are also my only day off!
xxx
Reply 995
Original post by dreamyfleur
Hi girlies apologies havent been on much. I have finally finished uni and got a few results back, that combined with a holiday to Cuba and a gradball i am now shattered haha! Im so so excited to start, i got my CRB email and also just received my occupational health pack! has anyone had any bursary news yet? also my friend who is a practicing speech and language therapist said two books she recommends are

martin atkinson- Basic medical science for speech hearing and language therapy students, and Gwen Lancaster- Phoneme factory- developing speech and language skills- A resource book for teaching and speech and language therapists.

She studied at Newcastle and said they really give guidence when learning and can be referred to lots in practice also! I will def be purchasing!!

If anyone sets up a facebook group my name is Victoria Elliott- and it is probably best to find me under the Nottingham Trent network as apparently there are quite a few of me!

Hope everyone is well xxxxxxx

Hey, hope you had a lovely holiday!

Nope I've not heard anything from the bursary yet. The facebook group is up, but I can't add you as we're not facebook friends, but if you search for University of Essex Msc Speech and Language therapy 2012 you should be able to find the group.

xxx
Reply 996

My graduation is mid July so it definitely won't be any time before then, and after that it depends on if I get a summer job. If everyone else can only do Tuesdays I'm sure I can manage that lol. I know, I guess the easiest thing to do for housing would be to look on the internet for possible houses and arrange a few viewings for one day, but I'm sure there's no rush there's always houses available xxx
Original post by geebee07
Why not now try and organise a regular volunteering slot somewhere relevant while you have the time to look into different places and ask to volunteer regularly there while its a whole year until the 2013 course starts? Then when it comes to doing the application you'll already have started or have put yourself down to volunteer for the whole year or however long until the course starts and for quite some time before interviews for courses start so you have that to talk about too.
I graduated last year and sorted out volunteering for a stroke group/centre in London on my one week day off per week as I work full time.

Georgina
xxx

Hi Georgina,

Thanks for your advice! I've been thinking the same thing. Just worried that it might look a bit rushed but after talking it through with a friend, I've been thinking, do all I can this summer onwards, apply this year, see what happens, and if I don't get where I want, I can take a year out and build it all up and try again. I'm really lucky to have a job where I know they'll up my hours etc. if I take a year out. I don't know why I'm worrying so much really, I just want to do it so badly!!!!

So many congratulations to all of you for getting great places as well by the way! I'm really excited for you all!

Char xxx
Reply 998
Original post by charliecarly
Hi Georgina,

Thanks for your advice! I've been thinking the same thing. Just worried that it might look a bit rushed but after talking it through with a friend, I've been thinking, do all I can this summer onwards, apply this year, see what happens, and if I don't get where I want, I can take a year out and build it all up and try again. I'm really lucky to have a job where I know they'll up my hours etc. if I take a year out. I don't know why I'm worrying so much really, I just want to do it so badly!!!!

So many congratulations to all of you for getting great places as well by the way! I'm really excited for you all!

Char xxx

Hey Char. Don't worry. You have time to build up your experience. Most people do tend to take a year out to build up experience anyway, but there's no harm in applying this year and see if you get anywhere. The best thing is to try and make your volunteering as relevant to SLT as you can, so make sure it's with people who have communication difficulties. Special schools are a good one to try, as they will often have an SLT on site or visiting for a day or two per week. Another good one is residential care homes for adults with learning disabilities - there will often be speech therapists attending those as well, and you may be able to mosey your way in to sit in on a session with a client you are working with anyway! :smile: This is how I got some good experience - I was a support worker and the people I worked with happened to have speech therapy, so I kind of got to shadow without having to go through the polava of ringing up therapists and trying to arrange it all.

Volunteering as a classroom assistant in a mainstream primary school can also be good experience, as in reception/ year one there are usually a couple of children with a speech or language difficulty.

Also, I don't think you will need to worry too much about "prolonged" experience, per se. The most important thing is demonstrating that you have worked with a range of people with communicaton difficulties :smile: For example I worked in a nursery, only for two months, but it was an extra thing to put on my application! I think breadth of experience is more important than depth at this point - try and work with different types of people if you can (adults and children).

Good luck!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by geebee07
Yeah I suppose Germany is a bit of a nicer holiday destination than the current classic army hotspots - i.e. Afghanistan!

Yeah I got the CRB email through today too and just completed it - it looks like we just turn up to the registry office on the campus at any point? So, not specific to our course or going anywhere specific to us either. The website says its open 10-12 and 3-4 until the 16th of july, monday-friday. Better choose a train journey...

xxx

Hey,

Same, crb application - tick :-) going to find a day when I go down, you'd think they would open for a couple of hours on a Saturday or something when it's going to be busy because I work Monday-Friday earning important 'help me through my masters' pennies!!! xxxx

Has anybody started sorting out their funding/ bursaries etc. Do we need to get career development loans on top of the bursary? Xxxx

Quick Reply

Latest