The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Speech and Language Therapy 2012

lux* had the good idea of making a separate thread for postgrad hopefuls as we were getting lost amoung all the BSc... so here it is!
Welcome and good luck!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Excellent!

I wish we'd know when to expect to hear back. So far I only know from City It'll be after 15th of January and I don't really want to email for the fear of sounding impatient. Which I am :giggle:
Reply 2
Nice!!
I applied only at City and I hope I ll get a reply... soon..I see now it was kind of stupid applying only there, but I didn't make the UCL deadline :frown:
Reply 3
Hi Guys, I'm really glad you did this thread! I wrote in the undergrad one a few weeks ago but did just get lost trying to follow it (I am new to this whole forum thing and pretty hopeless!)

I have applyed to City, UCL, Essex, Sheffield and Reading. I am also in the process of doing the UCAS app for undergrad to keep my options open as some of the courses I have been on have made me terrified of the competition to get a place on a postgrad course!

Does anyone know much about the Essex course by the way? From what I have read on here/people I have spoken to it doesn't seem to be anyones preference/a lot of people are not even applying....I just wondered if there was a reason for this that I don't know...!?
Reply 4
Hi Rach_L it was a relief reading that someone else feeis hopeless because I am also new to this forum thing... However, it is quite nice finding people who are at the exact same place as you...I thought te hard part was completing and sending my application and I didnt even think the waiting for the results....
Reply 5
Hi cmk, Yes it is so reassuring to speak to people in the same boat!! Makes me feel less nervous about the whole thing. Also, just an idea but if you are feeling nervous about only applying to City I know that Essex (or maybe it was Sheffield)...one of them definitely DON'T have a deadline for applying because I spoke to them on the phone to check. Just thought I would let you know in case you wanted to apply as a back up to City! I am sure you will get a place at city though, they do have the biggest intake so I am most hopeful about getting an offer from them out of all of them....fingers crossed!
Reply 6
Yeah it's Essex!
Reply 7
Original post by Rach_L
Hi cmk, Yes it is so reassuring to speak to people in the same boat!! Makes me feel less nervous about the whole thing. Also, just an idea but if you are feeling nervous about only applying to City I know that Essex (or maybe it was Sheffield)...one of them definitely DON'T have a deadline for applying because I spoke to them on the phone to check. Just thought I would let you know in case you wanted to apply as a back up to City! I am sure you will get a place at city though, they do have the biggest intake so I am most hopeful about getting an offer from them out of all of them....fingers crossed!

Thanks a million!!I looked it up and it is Essex, I will apply but I would really like to be in London that s why I chose City and UCL (of course I didnt make the deadline for UCL) since I decided to take a postgraduate course at the end of October:colone: .......Anyway, it s good to know that city has the biggest intake.. I wish you to take an offer from all of them and then just pick which you like the most!!:tongue:
Reply 8
Has anyone applied to qmu? I got an offer from them friday xx
Reply 9
Hey everyone,

So glad there's a postgraduate speech therapy thread - I've been following the main one for ages but keep getting lost with who's applying for a postgraduate!

I've applied to Newcastle, Sheffield and QMU and the wait is driving me crazy already! Congrats dreamyfleur on your offer from QMU, that's brilliant! Is it unconditional or an interview offer? When did you send your application in? I sent mine about 2/3 weeks ago so I'm worried I might not have got anywhere with it!

Xx
Thank you! It's conditional but it doesn't require an interview :smile:! I applied there a while ago- so you should be fine! I wasn't expecting to hear anything just receive an email!
Reply 11
Original post by dreamyfleur
Has anyone applied to qmu? I got an offer from them friday xx

I applied last year and got an offer after being on the waiting list. But it was just too expensive for me:frown:
Reply 12
Hi everybody. Pimpom, thanks for setting up this thread. I've been watching the other one for a while but as you say our stuff tends to get lost on it.

I've applied to both QMU and Newcastle but aren't sure what to expect - I'm sure other applicants have more experience for me, but then I do have some relevant experience (shadowing and volunteering) and a 1st in Psych. The fees at QMU are very intimidating, but having recently married and moved to Edinburgh the commute to Newcastle, and related costs, may not be feasible.

Dreamyfleur, well done!
Reply 13
Does anyone knows about the NHS funding and the bursaries????
Reply 14
We'll miss you! (from the Bsc thread) :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by cmk
Does anyone knows about the NHS funding and the bursaries????

From this page it seems that all students will receive a grant of £1000 a year. There is then an additional means-tested bursary of up to £4,395 per year (more in London). Fees will also be funded by the NHS

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=1923

However, I'm not sure about the Scottish situation at QMU - I haven't applied there as from what I gather the fees are not funded by the NHS... please correct me if I'm wrong!

Really would quite like some news before Xmas now!!

So what are all you guys doing at the moment? Working? Studying? And what are your first degrees in?
Reply 16
Original post by pimpom
From this page it seems that all students will receive a grant of £1000 a year. There is then an additional means-tested bursary of up to £4,395 per year (more in London). Fees will also be funded by the NHS

However, I'm not sure about the Scottish situation at QMU - I haven't applied there as from what I gather the fees are not funded by the NHS... please correct me if I'm wrong!

So what are all you guys doing at the moment? Working? Studying? And what are your first degrees in?

Thanks!!!:smile:
I know what you mean ...I would like to have some news NOW!!! I m so anxious..
My first degree is in Speech therapy and I have been working at a rehabilitation institute for children for the past 3 years
Reply 17
Original post by cmk
Thanks!!!:smile:
I know what you mean ...I would like to have some news NOW!!! I m so anxious..
My first degree is in Speech therapy and I have been working at a rehabilitation institute for children for the past 3 years

That's ok :smile:
So, you already have a degree in speech therapy... why are you taking the Masters then if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 18
Original post by pimpom

I know what you mean, desperate to hear something before xmas!! I'm a Newcastle graduate, my first degree is in English language and I was lucky enough to get a first,so hoping that might help. I'm currently working as an Autism Spectrum T.A. And running my own 'social skills' lessons as part of that which I'm hoping will be quite relevant. Also done some voluntary work within a hospital speech therapy department and at a stroke club too.

How about you? Whereabouts have you applied?

Xxx
Reply 19
[QUOTE="pimpom;35199034"]That's ok :smile:
So, you already have a degree in speech therapy... why are you taking the Masters then if you don't mind me asking?[/QUOTE

I dont mind at all, but I am not sure I can explain it I am from Greece and we have a different educational system. So I m taking the Master in order to get further education and experience.. I don t know if that makes any sense, but a Master has not the same meaning for Greek people.. I thought about studying in a different field (like occupational therapy ) but I wasnt quite sure about that..so I chose speech therapy
Does that makes sense??????:redface:

Quick Reply

Latest