The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Chemistry Unit 4 26/01/12 PM

Poll

Grade boundary for an A

Not long left now...

Will you be taking this exam in January?

How much revision have you done so far? How much revision are you going to do?

Discuss... :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

I think there is a thread for this already

oh well, we haven't even finish the syllabus and it's not far till the exam :stomp:
still, it's looking good, nothing too diffcult difficult but once again, it will be my top priority amongst my other subjects
Reply 2
Original post by This Honest

I think there is a thread for this already

oh well, we haven't even finish the syllabus and it's not far till the exam :stomp:
still, it's looking good, nothing too diffcult difficult but once again, it will be my top priority amongst my other subjects

I checked to see if there was another thread on this, I couldn't find one. :lol:

We haven't finished this unit either. I agree, there is nothing that is very difficult.
Reply 3
Original post by NutterFrutter
I checked to see if there was another thread on this, I couldn't find one. :lol:

We haven't finished this unit either. I agree, there is nothing that is very difficult.

We've just about finished the unit but feel like I need a lot of revision until I'm prepared for the exam.
Reply 4
Original post by 1platinum

Original post by 1platinum
We've just about finished the unit but feel like I need a lot of revision until I'm prepared for the exam.

The unit is one which needs plenty of preparation, especially for Section C of the exam. It's usually a question on finding the identity of organic compounds from different evidence, i.e. NMR.
i think this unit is pretty good for me, i need an A to give me a good chance of boosting my overall to an A.

and plus im retaking unit2 (sigh)
Reply 6
Original post by James A

Original post by James A
i think this unit is pretty good for me, i need an A to give me a good chance of boosting my overall to an A.

and plus im retaking unit2 (sigh)

I'm retaking Unit 2 as well. :wink: It's just the Group 2 and 7 stuff which I hate. :lol: Oh well, I'm sure we'll do fine. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Was just tryna get the acid/base stuff in my head.. Do we need to know the indicators by memory or are they given?:confused:
Reply 8
Original post by 11billi11
Was just tryna get the acid/base stuff in my head.. Do we need to know the indicators by memory or are they given?:confused:

Well I think you just gotta know which indicators are used for the 3 different types of titration curves, e.g. for strong acid weak base ---> methyl orange etc.
But if they give you a titration curve, and ask you to refer to the data booklet and ask you why a specific indicator is not appropriate, then you just gotta talk about it in terms of the vertical length pH and how it doesnt cover it, therefore it cant be used.. etc.
Main two you should know are: Methyl orange and phenolphthalein
The unit is one which needs plenty of preparation, especially for Section C of the exam. It's usually a question on finding the identity of organic compounds from different evidence, i.e. NMR.

That's going to seperate the sheeps from the goats, my chem teacher says

NMR IR mass spec, it's not too difficult but when they twist it in the exam and give you loads of data, it becomes a nightmare

I don't know how to prepare though. There's only so many exam papers for the new spec. :s-smilie:
Reply 11
I am doing chemistry and I use the CPG guide chemistry guide and past papers to revise it has helped me so far :smile:
Reply 12
im scared for chemistry...need lots of revision and practice and planning :/
Original post by MsElla223
I am doing chemistry and I use the CPG guide chemistry guide and past papers to revise it has helped me so far :smile:

george facer a2 book is good too, very good infact.
Hey,

I understand how to draw out the mechnasim for nucleophillic additon and nucleophillic addition/elimination.

It's just when to know which one to draw out in the exam.

thanks.
Reply 15
Hey,

I understand how to draw out the mechnasim for nucleophillic additon and nucleophillic addition/elimination.

thanks.

Hey. The only mechanism that will be tested and is usually tested is the nucleophillic addition with HCN. This always comes up so thoroughly revise it
Hey,

thanks.

Original post by EffKayy
Hey. The only mechanism that will be tested and is usually tested is the nucleophillic addition with HCN. This always comes up so thoroughly revise it

if it asks for why the addition of HCN to an asymmetrical ketone/aldehyde is not optically active, make sure you state that hcn can attatck from above or below, and that produces two optical isomers (that cancel each other out).
Original post by James A
if it asks for why the addition of HCN to an asymmetrical ketone/aldehyde is not optically active, make sure you state that hcn can attatck from above or below, and that produces two optical isomers (that cancel each other out).

YUP! Plus, both enantiomers can rotate plane polarised light, although that's not needed :erm:

Original post by EffKayy

Alright then thanks.
Apparently, the addition/elimination reaction occurs when the leaving group is electronegative like Cl-
Reply 18
YUP! Plus, both enantiomers can rotate plane polarised light, although that's not needed :erm:

Alright then thanks.
Apparently, the addition/elimination reaction occurs when the leaving group is electronegative like Cl-

:biggrin:
What book are you using to revise etc?
Original post by EffKayy
:biggrin:
What book are you using to revise etc?

Facer :colone:
I would have used it for AS if only I joined TSR ealier :sigh:
CGP and the edexcel blue book from time to time.

3 books :eek:
How about you?

Quick Reply