The Student Room Group

I'm 15, I want to play Rugby and I need your advice.

Hey, I'm 15 years old and I really want to start playing rugby but I'm not sure if I'd be starting too late. I'll admit that I'm not a sports person. I cannot play football, cricket, basketball, lacrosse or many other sports. However, unlike some other non-sporting people I always give 200% in PE and occasionally put in some half-decent performances. I'm 5' 11" (above height for a fifteen year old) and certainly not weak or weedy (I did Karate Kickboxing for six years and am a first dan blackbelt).

Obviously the rugby world cup was on earlier in the year and while it is not the most entertaining sport to watch (sorry rugby fans! :P) it looks a hell of a lot of fun to play. I'm just want someone's opinion on whether or not I should bother with rugby. Like I said, I think I've got an alright rugby build and I always give it my all. What are your thoughts?

(Another thing is that I have braces on my top and bottom teeth, what should I do in regard to my teeth if I do decide to start). Thanks!
You'll need to buy a mouth and arse guard
Reply 2
Well there is no way of telling how good you'll be without seeing you play. So, try and join your school team - chances are you'll be able to train and learn the basics even if you don't make the team. Play rugby during PE lessons. As for your braces, buy a fairly decent mouth guard and adapt it for your mouth. If you continue to play rugby after you get them removed, buy another mouth guard and mould them to your mouth.

I have to say though, it is a demanding sport and simply being tall, big and strong isn't enough. If you have never played it before, you could struggle. But, you won't know until you try!

Good luck!
Join your school team. If you get in well done. Don't let people on tsr decide your future. :smile:
Why the neg? I did this when I was 15...now i'm part of my county team.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
You need to buy a special mouth guard for your braces.

Depending on your build and position, you need different attributes. As a forward, you are more reliant on physicality, strength and power, but you need awareness, decisiveness and a tight sense of comradeship with your other forwards. Skill at kicking and grubbing also helps.
If you're a back, you need to focus more on agility, you are certainly less reliant on physicality. Speed in all things, with your hands and on your feet, ability to change direction on a coin, passing etcetera.
Upload a youtube vid called "takedowns" where you tackle your mum over and over again. That'll at least get you a reputation to work with in the rugby community.
Reply 6
Original post by RP-MRU.
Well there is no way of telling how good you'll be without seeing you play. So, try and join your school team - chances are you'll be able to train and learn the basics even if you don't make the team. Play rugby during PE lessons. As for your braces, buy a fairly decent mouth guard and adapt it for your mouth. If you continue to play rugby after you get them removed, buy another mouth guard and mould them to your mouth.

I have to say though, it is a demanding sport and simply being tall, big and strong isn't enough. If you have never played it before, you could struggle. But, you won't know until you try!

Good luck!

Thanks and I would've played in PE but for some reason my PE teacher refuses to play it with us because they say it isn't popular enough (yet they play lacrosse...:s-smilie: ). I've pestered him plenty of times to let us play but he refuses. This probably isn't relevant but I did play in the school in year 8 and was quite good but that was the last time I played).
Reply 7
Original post by Bowman.Hath
You'll need to buy a mouth and arse guard

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL !!!!!!

You'll need a mouth guard, and a pair of clothes for the sport. Gl dude.
Reply 8
Original post by JackHodg

Original post by JackHodg
Thanks and I would've played in PE but for some reason my PE teacher refuses to play it with us because they say it isn't popular enough (yet they play lacrosse...:s-smilie: ). I've pestered him plenty of times to let us play but he refuses. This probably isn't relevant but I did play in the school in year 8 and was quite good but that was the last time I played).

If you've played it before and you were quite good, there's nothing stopping you from picking it up again. Go for it! As I said earlier, you have nothing to lose so why not?! Join your school team, if you find that you enjoy it and are good at it, take it a step further and join your local team! At the moment though, get yourself in shape, learn the key skills and techniques and find your best suited position(s).
Reply 9
Hi, i can't say i've been in this position because i played from a stupidly young age but anway, i'll give as much advice as possible. Too answer your brace question, no you do not need to wear a mouth guard if you where fixed, traintrack braces as these basically perform the role of a mouthguard (holding teeth together).
I agree with what other TSR members are saying, join the school team or local club and give it a go!!! You won't know otherwise. For you, an encouragement is that you are proficient at karate, which to me seems like throwing people to the ground all the time. In rugby, at your age, being able to manipulate people to the ground efficiently is a rareity so you'll have that as one of your best skills.
What worked for me was, buying a cheap rugger ball, some chalk, draw a circle on a wall at average chest height and pass the ball into the circle as many times as possible.
" I hate to admit it, but in rugby, passing unlocks doors" WJMB
Good luck!!!
Reply 10
Cheers for the support, I'm going training with a local club tomorrow and I'm really excited.
Reply 11
as long you're a fat **** who can run into people and chuck an egg...you'll be fine ;-)

Quick Reply

Latest