The Student Room Group

Sixth Form - what to do?

Hi,

Right I have recently started sixth form at a brand new school, I was always at a small school during senior school so the transition has been a big shock to me. I am studying the international baccalaureate, and really enjoy the syllabus content and apart from a few relatively small hiccups am finding it relatively okay.

The issue is however that my health is really poor at the moment, my immune system is really low and i seem to contract every virus/cold/cough going and am missing quite a lot of time from school. This is also connected to a few dietary issues that I have, lack of vitamins etc and although i am in the process of sorting this out, it does still affect me.

I would not lie to you and say that I am a silly person, at GCSE i achieved 8A*s and 2A*s and I have big ideas for my life at university and beyond. I know what I want to achieve and I hope that I will get there, but will it be better for me to restart next year and have a good whack at it when I feel better?

This could all sound really silly, but the thing is I just don't know when I feel better so its difficult to guarantee when I will be in school and the ib is not really a self teach qualification.

let me know what you think... just need some advice on this one, should the discussion appear at home.
my friend was ill last year for IB so she's repeating IB year 1. You may have to do that.
i had glandular fever for the last four months of my first year at IB and all through the summer so i had to take a lot of time off school as well, but i havent' found it that difficult to catch up, however that may be because it was close to the end of the year so i'd already done a large chunk of the syllabus...its quite difficult to say with you because its impossible to tell whether or not your downplaying it, because if you are missing a significant amount of school and really aren't up to strength then it may be a good idea to take time off; my ib coordinator makes us put our health before anything else, and i completely agree with that! if you get better by, say march or something then you dont even need to bum around wasting time until september, you could get a job and save up money so you dont have to work at all when you restart school :smile: ultimately only you know just how well or not you are feeling, and if you dont think you can do the best you can at the moment then wait a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending