The Student Room Group

My step dad has left my mother, this year can i tell student fiance

My step dad and mum used to live together now he has left. They are no longer living together. They will get a devorce soon.

I am getting the full grant and loan. My mum works for 100 odd quid a month, and my step dad worked earning 15k a year.

In terms of the loan and grant i get it will stay the same, as my mum is now on benefits.

The big change is my bursary and grant, surrey offers upto 2k bursary plus it is doubled and 1k added if you get 60% for incomes less than 10k.

As my step dad has now gone, he left 2 weeks ago. Can i now claim this, and get SF to tell the university. Currently I will get about 3k frm SF, 1000 quid x 2 plus 1000 quid for getting 60%.

The main thing is will student fiance tell the university that my income has changed and i am now eglible for a high bursary!

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
You're probably better off speaking directly to the University first, then they will direct you to Student Finance if necessary.
Reply 2
don't you mean he worked for 15,000 a year?
Original post by sharp910sh
My step dad and mum used to live together now he has left. They are no longer living together. They will get a devorce soon.

I am getting the full grant and loan. My mum works for 100 odd quid a week, and my step dad worked earning 1500k a year.

In terms of the loan and grant i get it will stay the same, as my mum is now on benefits.

The big change is my bursary and grant, surrey offers upto 2000k bursary plus it is doubled and 100k added if you get 60% for incomes less than 10k.

As my step dad has now gone, he left 2 weeks ago. Can i now claim this, and get SF to tell the university. Currently I will get about 3k frm SF, 1000 quid x 2 plus 1000 quid for getting 60%.

The main thing is will student fiance tell the university that my income has changed and i am now eglible for a high bursary!

Thanks

are you sure that your parents wont get back together? as a similar situation happened to me (i wasnt getting full amounts and would have if they split up) and then started going through the motions and then 3 months later they were getting back together. fortunatly i hadnt been reassessed at that point so it was fine

but wait a couple of weeks, and then tell your university. the university will then tell you if you should bother to tell student finance.
Reply 4

I am getting the full grant and loan. My mum works for 100 odd quid a week, and my step dad worked earning 1500k a year.

The big change is my bursary and grant, surrey offers upto 2000k bursary plus it is doubled and 100k added if you get 60% for incomes less than 10k.

Thanks

Unless they are formally separated or divorced you can't. Evidence of separation wil be required. Have they split up bank accounts? Has your mum registered for the single adult discount for council tax?
Reply 5
Original post by roubiliac
Unless they are formally separated or divorced you can't. Evidence of separation wil be required. Have they split up bank accounts? Has your mum registered for the single adult discount for council tax?

she is now claiming benefits. It says on the form, when it asks you about your parents income, that they are concerned with your parent who live together. They are not living together, no chance of him returning.

Yes i meant 15k not 1500k or i wouldnt be here. I would be loaded!

The evidence is that she is now claiming benefit because she is not living with him. i.e. housing benefit etc, if she was with him. She wouldnt get anything! SO that is my evidence.

If only they seperated earlier I could have been 1500 quid richer. oh well...
Reply 6
she could still get housing benefit and have a partner. She has to prove she is single.
She will have to furnish single person council tax evidence.
Reply 7
she could still get housing benefit and have a partner. She has to prove she is single.
She will have to furnish single person council tax evidence.

You cannot get housing benefit with someone who is living in your house and working. That would be benefit fraud. She even told me I cannot return to the house, as she will lose her entitlement.
Reply 8
housing benefit is not acceptable evidence for SFE.
To be blunt how do they know your parents are trying it on to get more money out of them?
PROOF of separation will be required.
This is from the Directgov site about evidence required
Evidence if you’re divorced or separated
If you’re divorced or separated, you need to submit a clear copy of one of the following:
divorce - Decree Nisi, Decree Absolute
dissolution of a civil partnership - civil partnership dissolution order
confirmation from a solicitor of your marital status
Council Tax bill showing the 25 per cent discount for single occupancy (as evidence that you are now separated)

nothing else is acceptable.

found here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Gettingstarted/DG_189556
Reply 9
housing benefit is not acceptable evidence for SFE.
To be blunt how do they know your parents are trying it on to get more money out of them?
PROOF of separation will be required.
This is from the Directgov site about evidence required
Evidence if you’re divorced or separated
If you’re divorced or separated, you need to submit a clear copy of one of the following:
divorce - Decree Nisi, Decree Absolute
dissolution of a civil partnership - civil partnership dissolution order
confirmation from a solicitor of your marital status
Council Tax bill showing the 25 per cent discount for single occupancy (as evidence that you are now separated)

nothing else is acceptable.

found here
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/Gettingstarted/DG_189556

Well she isnt paying council tax and she is getting her council tax paid by housing benefit for single occupancy. This she can get a letter to confirm this. So, I shall say hello to £5k!! Thank you!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
It iosn't that simple.
SFE assess you from the previous year's circumstances so that is what the uni will go off for bursaries.
UNLESS
You ask SFE for a change of circumstances form and ask for a current year assessment.
You will need to ask for a current year assessment.
Reply 11
It iosn't that simple.
SFE assess you from the previous year's circumstances so that is what the uni will go off for bursaries.
UNLESS
You ask SFE for a change of circumstances form and ask for a current year assessment.
You will need to ask for a current year assessment.

Yes that is what I will do. I shall contact SFE let them know of my situation and send them the relavent evidence. Let the uni know. Then get my monies in march.
Reply 12

Thanks

Wow I love the use of 'k' in such differing ways. Are you doing maths?
Reply 13
Original post by simstar88
Wow I love the use of 'k' in such differing ways. Are you doing maths?

lol nope engineering.
Reply 14
Yes that is what I will do. I shall contact SFE let them know of my situation and send them the relavent evidence. Let the uni know. Then get my monies in march.

A possible problem may be that some uni's don't allow for late application for bursaries. Mine doesn't. If you haven't applied very soon after the start you miss out. You'd better check.
Reply 15
A possible problem may be that some uni's don't allow for late application for bursaries. Mine doesn't. If you haven't applied very soon after the start you miss out. You'd better check.

I shall see. Should be fine, they dont process the bursaries till next year!
Reply 16

Just to let you know SFE said i need to provide a single occupancy tax letter. And it will be updated so that the university know.
Reply 17
and the university said its fine! so ha

Quick Reply

Latest