Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Newcastle or Birmingham?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need help choosing between the two! I have yet to visit either but I've heard good things about both...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Too vague, please ask a more specific question and I would be happy to try and answer it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Umm only bad thing I've heard about bham is that it gets a bit grim, whereas I've heard newcastle is always lively and very student associated. How well does bham cater for students compared to newc?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I can only speak on Birmingham's behalf, but it has the one of the biggest varieties of student societies in the UK, a community feel on campus (social venues, events, farmers markets etc), the most night clubs outside of london, a big music industry. It also has its own grounds for halls of residence, and the privately rented houses are generally in a small area, so there is lots of contact with students.

More importantly, it hosts many high profile events, is well connected with employers in the region, and offers many networking opportunities as it is rated in the top 10 of UK's research-led universities.

If by grim you mean socially isolated, put it this way: there are 20 thousand undergraduates, and I know from personal experience that enough of them are nice and have shared interests.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: December 7, 2011
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Birmingham Unis Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.