The Student Room Group

Corner shops

I am doing a school project in school and one of the things I have to do in it is talk about the strategies a corner shop uses.
So I was wondering if anyone could share there business knowledge of how typical corner shops choose there products, location of store, prices and how they promote themselves.

Thank you if you can:smile:
Original post by hunta
I am doing a school project in school and one of the things I have to do in it is talk about the strategies a corner shop uses.
So I was wondering if anyone could share there business knowledge of how typical corner shops choose there products, location of store, prices and how they promote themselves.

really?
Reply 2
Original post by hunta

Choice of products - covers most bases, chooses essentials which don't take up much space
Location of store - Hmm, maybe, located on the corner?
Prices - has to remain competitive, so the consumer does not veer to a cheaper store which is further away. Google - sphere of influence
Promotion - no need for promotion, convenience is a big factor when a consumer wants something quick and fast.
Reply 3
Original post by crocker710
really?

sorry I didn't understand what you we're trying to say there.
Original post by hunta
sorry I didn't understand what you we're trying to say there.

you're genuinely asking where a corner shop would be located?
Reply 5
lolss my bad -- what i mean by the "location of the corner shop" is the like main road, away for from high street etc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hunta
lolss my bad -- what i mean by the "location of the corner shop" is the like main road, away for from high street etc.

I guessed that's what you meant :P Think logically, they're not going to be next to large supermarkets, they're going to be in residential areas possibly near a main road.
Reply 7
Original post by tehforum
Choice of products - covers most bases, chooses essentials which don't take up much space
Location of store - Hmm, maybe, located on the corner?
Prices - has to remain competitive, so the consumer does not veer to a cheaper store which is further away. Google - sphere of influence
Promotion - no need for promotion, convenience is a big factor when a consumer wants something quick and fast.

what could you say about what brands they choose and why
Reply 8
you're genuinely asking where a corner shop would be located?

there are many corners. Which one do you choose? Perfectly valid question to ask.
Original post by Mr. Z
there are many corners. Which one do you choose? Perfectly valid question to ask.

the choice of location in this case is generally predetermined by the name ... a 'corner' shop. That was what the question asked, not which corner. derp.
Reply 10
Original post by hunta
what could you say about what brands they choose and why

They'd probably choose a branded product (which costs more), and a "value" product to cater for people with different incomes.
Location, on a corner.
Since when did corner shops competitively price? Maybe with stuff like milk but for example, a packet of bachelors savoury rice is 65p in supermarkets and £1.40 in all the corner shops. Butter is rarely less than £1.40 etc.
Reply 13
the choice of location in this case is generally predetermined by the name ... a 'corner' shop. That was what the question asked, not which corner. derp.

Not sure if you're being serious...

Not going to justify a stupid statement like that with a decent answer.
Main brands and cheaper brands, maybe ones you can't get in tesco etc-I know the local Premier does sweets that are Halal.
Main road/s
Products, everyday stuff like bread, milk, chocolate, sandwiches and sometimes alcohol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending