Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask not what you can do for your country....

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    In an about-turn from the sentiments of JFK's inaugural "Ask not what your county can do for you..." speech, I am interested to know why one votes or supports the political party they do.

What is it about 'your' party that makes you think you will benefit from them being in power? After all, if we're honest about it, that's the main reason we vote/support a particular political party...what we can expect to get out of them?

I'm not interested in comments from those who think they are altruistic. I want responses from those who are honest enough to admit to self-interest.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I care not for my country, I am simply biding my time awaiting for my opportunity to take over.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Those who want a better society economically and socially rather than any specific tax gains or freedoms shouldn't be ignored. I want to be able to be proud in my country and to know that its future is positive if not only for my family's sake. I don't particularly want them to do something for me but for the country and those who live in it.

Ignore if you will.

To answer your question, there's no one party which I have faith in. Rather I hope for a continuation of coalitions; so that government policies will undergo slightly more scrutinisation from those in power.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I support the Conservatives only on ideological reasons since I don't live in the UK presently. People think of the Conservatives as the "nasty party", the one that wants to take from the poor and give to the rich. But I completely disagree. People should see the Conservatives as a parent. Always nagging, getting you to work, because they know it will be better for you in the end, and they support that journey through corresponding policies. If you work hard, the Conservatives will reward you, e.g lower taxes. If you choose not to work, they will punish you, e.g reform welfare. The Conservatives are the real party of progress from an individual's perspective, and since individuals make up society, and wealthy and motivated inviduals form a richer society, concurrently, they support society.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aequat omnes cinis)
    Well I support the Conservatives only on ideological reasons since I don't live in the UK presently. People think of the Conservatives as the "nasty party", the one that wants to take from the poor and give to the rich. But I completely disagree. People should see the Conservatives as a parent. Always nagging, getting you to work, because they know it will be better for you in the end, and they support that journey through corresponding policies. If you work hard, the Conservatives will reward you, e.g lower taxes. If you choose not to work, they will punish you, e.g reform welfare. The Conservatives are the real party of progress from an individual's perspective, and since individuals make up society, and wealthy and motivated inviduals form a richer society, concurrently, they support society.
    Thats not really true now is it? The ideological nature of the conservative party is to "conserve" and reject change...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    My country? what country? there is almost no country left...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I support the conservatives because I hate labour.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    if im totally honest... i watched that debate program thingy on tv... (im sure it had an actual name ... lol).... Nick Clegg was a useless ...such and such.... he didnt have anything to say of his own, he was too busy writing down peoples names who asked questions, and agreeing with either Cameron or Brown, the more i saw of him the less of a leader he seemed...(Clegg is guilty of making me dislike the Lib Dem... sorry guys...)
    but it all really confirmed that the conservatives best reflect my attitude towards alot of things, there is no way i could agree with any party 100%, but the one which i disagreed with less was the conservatives... they'll have to do untill the pixie party is up and running lol
    x
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because they purported to be the lesser of 3 evils.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

I'm not interested in comments from those who think they are altruistic. I want responses from those who are honest enough to admit to self-interest.
    As a libertarian I hope to promote individual self interest. As opposed to institutional, statist self interest.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    In an about-turn from the sentiments of JFK's inaugural "Ask not what your county can do for you..." speech, I am interested to know why one votes or supports the political party they do.

What is it about 'your' party that makes you think you will benefit from them being in power? After all, if we're honest about it, that's the main reason we vote/support a particular political party...what we can expect to get out of them?

Honest enough? But if you stipulate that, you exclude quite a sizeable proportion of those interested in politics. I know lots of well-off lefties who would be hit hard by the kind of additional taxes towards which Labour is ideologically predisposed. Likewise I know poorer realists who think that the Tories will be better for Britain in the long run.

Self-interest motivates most people's politics in a roundabout way - people have an interest in living in the kind of society they believe their chosen party will engender - but it isn't fair to criticise everyone as being narrowly self-interested.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I support Labour because I agree with the parties values-the idea of helping people, co-operating rather than competing and community over individualism. The basic ethos and values of the party are the same of mine.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalee)
    Thats not really true now is it? The ideological nature of the conservative party is to "conserve" and reject change...
    Conservatives (capital 'c') aren't necessarily conservative (small 'c'). There was an interesting talk at the LSE about this a few months ago. In summary, it said that Conservatism, as an ideology (if it can be considered an ideology), is the preservation (or conservation) of certain values, rather than conserving the situation. My Politics teacher had told me that it was fear of change, but that's not necessarily true. Granted, quite a few Tories like the "good ol' days" but that doesn't reflect the party 'ethos'.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    Conservatives (capital 'c') aren't necessarily conservative (small 'c'). There was an interesting talk at the LSE about this a few months ago. In summary, it said that Conservatism, as an ideology (if it can be considered an ideology), is the preservation (or conservation) of certain values, rather than conserving the situation. My Politics teacher had told me that it was fear of change, but that's not necessarily true. Granted, quite a few Tories like the "good ol' days" but that doesn't reflect the party 'ethos'.
    Bit petty about the capitalisation of the "c"...

I think thats a vast understatement, but even if it wasn't, its ridiculous to support a party in which you admit to there being a few members who like "the good ol' days", which essentially means bigger gaps in wealth and equality.

I am not really a strong supporter of the Labour party, but looking at all the progress that has happened in Britain, it does seem obvious that it was lead by Labour rather than the Conservatives. Saying that the Conservatives are a party of progress is ridiculous, if anything they are a party of regress.

Another point, some of those "values" you talk of aren't really positive things in the 21st century, like the "nuclear family" anti-gay views certainly held by many a tory. Gay marriage would never of happened under a Conservative government.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalee)
    its ridiculous to support a party in which you admit to there being a few members who like "the good ol' days", which essentially means bigger gaps in wealth and equality.
    Afraid not. http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...wing-faster-uk
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalee)
    Bit petty about the capitalisation of the "c"...
    "Petty"?

(Original post by Dalee)
    its ridiculous to support a party in which you admit to there being a few members who like "the good ol' days"
    I never said that I support the party.

(Original post by Dalee)
    Saying that the Conservatives are a party of progress is ridiculous, if anything they are a party of regress.
    I never said that they were a party of progress, I just said that they are not necessarily conservative.

(Original post by Dalee)
    Another point, some of those "values" you talk of aren't really positive things in the 21st century, like the "nuclear family" anti-gay views certainly held by many a tory. Gay marriage would never of happened under a Conservative government.
    I never said whether the values were good or bad, I simply said that they conserve values.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tripleeagle)
    "Petty"?

I never said that I support the party.

I never said that they were a party of progress, I just said that they are not necessarily conservative.

I never said whether the values were good or bad, I simply said that they conserve values.
    yikes, this is awkward. I thought you were the person I originally quoted.... My bad.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalee)
    yikes, this is awkward. I thought you were the person I originally quoted.... My bad.
    haha that explains the assumptions then
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalee)
    They reject social change, maybe. But people can whinge on and on all they like about bankers and the Conservative party only helping the rich, the Conservatives are about economic progress for the individual and this is a far better way of decreasing inequality; those who want to progress economically will be supported through Conservative policies, and in general those who don't make that effort only have themselves to blame for said inequality.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aequat omnes cinis)
    They reject social change, maybe. But people can whinge on and on all they like about bankers and the Conservative party only helping the rich, the Conservatives are about economic progress for the individual and this is a far better way of decreasing inequality; those who want to progress economically will be supported through Conservative policies, and in general those who don't make that effort only have themselves to blame for said inequality.
    lol, you cant just brush social change aside like that! If they reject progressive social reform then they are not a progressive party!

Economically they are also regressive, if the Conservatives could choose there would be no minimum wage. Look at what they are doing to pensions. Look at how they have risen VAT, which effect poor people far more than rich people...

And as for those who dont make "that effort" only have themselves to blame... What a load of rubbish, I dont care what you think, but people dont have equal starts in life. Some people (coughDavidCameroncough) have it handed to them on a silver platter, to say that poor people have themselves to blame is ridiculous.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: December 7, 2011
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.