The Student Room Group

Art foundation applicants 2012!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Hey, could anyone that has had an interview at Oxford Brookes tell me what it's like? Do you get a one on one interview? Or just they look at you work without you? Got my interview on Friday, Thanks! :smile:
IT'S NOT AN INTERVIEW :biggrin: you just drop your work in a room, get given a tour then collect it later :biggrin: you'll probably have some free time after the tour too...so i'd suggest hopping on a bus into town because oxford is the most beautiful and cool town ever, but that's just my biased opinion :biggrin: X
Reply 182
i have my Oxford Brookes portfolio review tomorrow :s-smilie: on the specifications it asks for "a typed list of all work submitted" does this mean... "A1 portfolio, A3 sketchbooks" or think i need to list everything inside my portfolio like a contents page??
Reply 183
Original post by beccafairy
i think that kingston would be one of the best places to go as they get so many applicants yet don't take that many on, so if you're in you're pretty much guaranteed to be around talented, hardworking people making quality work, which to me would be a really inspiring environment. and obviously you'd get lots of tutor feedback, be in a lovely location and have london on your doorstep.

UCA can be good for certain people, for example if you wanted to do something fashion related and did your foundation at UCA epsom you'd be in a good environment, and again, you'd get more tutor feedback, but i think that there are better places out there. :rolleyes:

I completely agree with what you have said about Kingston. I want to study architecture or interior design and Kingston seems to have amazing facilities...The only thing that attracts me on LCC is that I can focus on 3D right awat, so I do not have to do fine art or other areas which I do not have interest in...and also the UAL reputation...Also it is directly in London..But something tells me the course will not be as good as at Kingston. Does anybodz heard something about LCC? London College of Communication?
Original post by johnthing
I completely agree with what you have said about Kingston. I want to study architecture or interior design and Kingston seems to have amazing facilities...The only thing that attracts me on LCC is that I can focus on 3D right awat, so I do not have to do fine art or other areas which I do not have interest in...and also the UAL reputation...Also it is directly in London..But something tells me the course will not be as good as at Kingston. Does anybodz heard something about LCC? London College of Communication?

hmm, well the foundation course at LCC is less popular because it's more focused and the pathways are more limited, i believe? so it's a good place to go if you know what kind of thing you want to do, it's not your typical foundation. having said that, i'm not sure they do an architecture pathway?

my friend who's doing an architecture degree (didn't do foundation, so i'm not sure how relevant this is) didn't like the look of the course at kingston, he goes to UCL. but he's one of the people that are so good they can afford to be picky!
but i would say do some more research into the LCC pathways, and make your decision from there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey guys
I had an interview at Sunderland on Tuesday for level zero entry. After the interview the interviewer told me that strictly speaking he wasn't allowed to say whether a place would be offered or not 'so don't take this as set in stone but i would be enclined to put you forward' so that was all okay i was happy enough and was told I would receive a decision letter within 2 weeks.. BUT (a few hours later for a tour) My Mum and I went back to ask about which course my interview was for because I applied twice, once through UCAS and again direct to the Uni one a Level Zero and the other the standard Foundation. The women, who we assume was a tutor got my 'file' out and she said 'Oh it's your UCAS application but don't worry you've been accepted so once it comes through you need to accept or decline right away as all foundation accommodation needs sorted as we have rooms reserved in Pann's Bank and also if you decline the place needs to be offered asap to someone else. But don't worry about being called for an interview for the other course because admissions will be made aware of this'

So now i'm left waiting for about 2 weeks not knowing what to think.. will i get the offer, won't i? What does 'Accepted' mean? Conditional, Unconditional?
Normally I wouldn't be so bothered but, Sunderland was always going to my Firm if i was given an offer.

Any of you guys had the same experience or Similar?

:smile:
Original post by TheArty1
i have my Oxford Brookes portfolio review tomorrow :s-smilie: on the specifications it asks for "a typed list of all work submitted" does this mean... "A1 portfolio, A3 sketchbooks" or think i need to list everything inside my portfolio like a contents page??

you honestly dont need to worry about this at all! i put my big sheets neatly in (with clear labels) into one side of the portfolio, then 3 sketchbooks into the other side. a contents page isn't necessary and no need to list anything. hope this helps :smile: X
Reply 187
hmm, well the foundation course at LCC is less popular because it's more focused and the pathways are more limited, i believe? so it's a good place to go if you know what kind of thing you want to do, it's not your typical foundation. having said that, i'm not sure they do an architecture pathway?

my friend who's doing an architecture degree (didn't do foundation, so i'm not sure how relevant this is) didn't like the look of the course at kingston, he goes to UCL. but he's one of the people that are so good they can afford to be picky!
but i would say do some more research into the LCC pathways, and make your decision from there.

I have chosen the 3D pathway, it is exactly the mixture I want- interior, architecture and product design (in my case I would focus on furniture). I have jsut spoken to friend of my friend (haha) who said she would go on Kingston although she took foundation at LCC- she said she didnt know where she was going. But, she is on the course there and likes it pretty much.
Your friend is at Bartnett school of architecture? (UCL) that one? thas is pretty impressive, even without foundation! He/she must be really talented...
I have chosen the 3D pathway, it is exactly the mixture I want- interior, architecture and product design (in my case I would focus on furniture). I have jsut spoken to friend of my friend (haha) who said she would go on Kingston although she took foundation at LCC- she said she didnt know where she was going. But, she is on the course there and likes it pretty much.
Your friend is at Bartnett school of architecture? (UCL) that one? thas is pretty impressive, even without foundation! He/she must be really talented...

oh wow, that sounds perfect for you then! for someone who isn't sure what area they want to work in it's not the best course, but for you it'll be really good, i bet you could build up a really strong portfolio there.
yes, he is! he's amazing, everyone in our art class hated how good he was. :P
So I got into derby woop! Which was the only foundation corse I applied to but I thought I'd join in with the exhibition of work and see what your thoughts are of my portfolio for Cardiff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/happilysuicidal/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190
oh wow, that sounds perfect for you then! for someone who isn't sure what area they want to work in it's not the best course, but for you it'll be really good, i bet you could build up a really strong portfolio there.
yes, he is! he's amazing, everyone in our art class hated how good he was. :P

Is there any chance to see HIS portfolio? :smile: Flickr or any other website where he puts his works? I would be pretty much interested in seeing works of somebody who was so good that was accepted to UCL without foundation course!
Is there any chance to see HIS portfolio? :smile: Flickr or any other website where he puts his works? I would be pretty much interested in seeing works of somebody who was so good that was accepted to UCL without foundation course!

nope, sorry, i don't think he has his work online! he's so good that he managed to do paid architectural work as an A level student as well, how dare he eh :tongue:
Reply 192
Original post by banafsaji
2A, you? I'm really worried about it because on their website they said the majority of people who get accepted there have already done a foundation course. Also, I don't know how quickly we'll be able to get our folios back after the 21st, because I need it by the 7th for CCW...

How did it go for you? I think I was the youngest candidate there, which doesn't make me feel especially confident about my chances. But I adored CSM. I would love to study there!!!
Reply 193
Original post by bobanie
How did it go for you? I think I was the youngest candidate there, which doesn't make me feel especially confident about my chances. But I adored CSM. I would love to study there!!!

It was OK, I suppose. I got to actually speak to them, but I don't think I'll get in because its so competitive. Also I said some really dumb things which I'm still kicking myself over.

Hey, age is just a number. How old are you, anyway? I'm not 18 yet. Yeah CSM was really beautiful, and the people were nice (except for the guy who collected me from the reception. What a misery guts.)

I was trying to figure out who you were when we were all collected together at 11:15; I was the second person to be called into interview.
Reply 194
We had our interviews at different times then. Mine began at 2pm.

I'm also 17. It seemed as if everyone else was at least 20.

One of my interviewers was sort of aggressive with his questions. The other was nice. What did you think?

But it's hard to compete with people who have been working for a few years in architecture studios or have studied interior design already. I'm not very optimistic.

Where else have you applied? I have an interview at AA next month.
had my interview at manchester today, it went really well! exactly what i needed after leaving my last two interviews clueless. if i don't get into CCW, i'm definitely going there. (they're not allowed to accept people until all the interviews are done but i've been told to expect an offer :biggrin:)

anyone else got an interview there?
Original post by Dummelow7
Hello everyone, me and other A - Level students have set up a website in which we sell our artwork that we have completed in our art lessons to willing buyers, basically to just to try and make some money. We are also hoping to promote and sell other upcoming artists like yourselves on our website and we were wondering how many people would be interested. Please reply if it is something you or someone you know would be interested in doing. Cheers :smile:

Definitely interested :biggrin: An online community of young art students is definitely needed. Keep me posted!
anybody had their kingston interview and heard back???? had mine today... really dont think it went that well but i dunno... kinda got terrified and couldnt talk when they asked me aboout my work haha :/
oooh fancy swapping flickrs? (although i've cancelled my kingston application now :s-smilie:)
Original post by justreadthebooks
oooh fancy swapping flickrs? (although i've cancelled my kingston application now :s-smilie:)

go for it!! this is minee :smile:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71517991@N03/
my most recent work isnt on there though because i hadnt finished it at the time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest