The Student Room Group

Is there any point in going to university anymore?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
[QUOTE="ilovelabradors;37180450"]
Original post by Ttorria

We have to be a bit realistic here! You say he's working "back in his home town" which by the way you wrote it suggests that he is in a small town. So, it's pretty clear to see that the odds of using skills that he learned in the course, especially the skills that are specific to his course (Chinese and Spanish) in a small town are minimal. It would be reasonable for your mate to look for a job in a bigger city, it's not like a small town will change to accommodate his interests, it's the other way around!

True, very true but i guess that he doesn't want to risk the stability he has here as there are so few jobs around! Maybe it's more people don't have the guts to try to get jobs that do require some courage, but i do think that some degrees do get wasted! I know most jobs look for someone with a degree but this doesn't neccessarily mean that they will ever work in any job that uses the knowledge they learned. But then again, that might be by choice. It's hard to decide i guess whether they are actually worth it.
[QUOTE="Ttorria;37193001"]
Original post by ilovelabradors

True, very true but i guess that he doesn't want to risk the stability he has here as there are so few jobs around! Maybe it's more people don't have the guts to try to get jobs that do require some courage, but i do think that some degrees do get wasted! I know most jobs look for someone with a degree but this doesn't neccessarily mean that they will ever work in any job that uses the knowledge they learned. But then again, that might be by choice. It's hard to decide i guess whether they are actually worth it.

Yeah, it's complicated. And yes, some degrees are not valued by employers. But it's always worth it. In my opinion knowledge is priceless. :smile:

He may be in a lame job but at least he has one. And besides, he could be in the same situation if he didn't graduate. And also, he might get the job he wants someday, or at least a better job. I am pretty positive that in a better economy he'd be better off and non graduates. And also he might want to work abroad someday, and then he'll be able to apply for really cool jobs rather that the jobs that natives don't want! :redface:
Reply 162
A degree is only a tool.

The eventual usefulness of the degree depends on the person using it.
Depends what you want to do in life.

To become a psychologist, you NEED a degree regesitered by BPS.

For me, to become an advertising creative, i NEED a degree.

So without one I cant do what I want to do, so absolutely there is a point in going.
It ultimately depends on what you want to do. Many jobs require a degree, so by going to university you will be open to a wider range of careers in that respect. Graduates earn more money than non-graduates on average, but to some, it's not all about the money. I chose my career path because it is what I love, not because it pays well (which it doesn't, sadly). It just happened to require a degree.

There certainly is still a point in going to university - it just depends on what your career goals are.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Howard
So, if it's not worth it commercially, is it worth it from other perspectives? Maybe. Sure, you can study something you love and are passionate about. There's a value to that. But do you need to do a degree to study something you are passionate about? Not really. You can have a PHd level of knowledge about the Wars of the Roses without having a PHd in it. Anybody can pick up a book and study.

From a "life experience" point of view? Well, if you think that living on Pot Noodles, not getting up before noon, and getting pissed in the SU bar is "life experience" then maybe.

Ugh, this is so true. Thank you.
Reply 166
I hate the idea that if you don't have a degree, you won't earn as much money, it's not 100% true, obviously the stats are probably brought down by bums but think of this, my dad has 5 GCSE's to his name and he earns 45K a year as an Manger for Tata, my mother has a HNC and she earns 25K a year as a Nurse. I have an electrical engineering apprenticeship where I would earn 13K first year just going to college, 19K second year, 24K third year and 30K fourth year then they give me a job as an engineer. Same thing with my brother, he had a manufacturing apprenticeship with Tata where he earned 12K first year and 14K second year, learning how to make steel now he has a job earning 30K a year. Also, according to the BBC 58.8% of graduates end up in non graduate jobs. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-33983048I know from experience that employers look for experience more than a few letters next to your name. The guy who was up against me for my job, was fresh out of University with a Degree, and he got beat out by a college boy with good electrical experience.Bottom line is, going to University is something that you are told that you have to do, by the Government, which isn't true at all. There are many many other ways to get a well paying job that you enjoy without going to University. Society is no longer judging a fish on its ability to climb a tree my friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending