The Student Room Group

AS and A-level choices

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
Economics is difficult. Even at GCSE it's hard. Do History instead.

Yeah, I'm a bit worried about Economics :/

History isn't a good option for me. Modern history bores me to death (except the holocaust). Yeah, and with the ridiculous amount of reading there is in History, it would kill me. Ancient History is more my thing.

Class Civ is respected just the same as the other 3 it's just tediously dull. English = :woo: Philosophy=idk.
What do you want to do?

Class Civ = dull? really? Personal preference, I guess. I thought it'd be a good option for me since I like English and really interested in the lifestyle of ancient civilisations.

Original post by adobe
i cant speak for the others, but economics is pretty easy to get an A in, but thats from someone who also did biology and maths

edit: understanding economics is like a sigmoid curve, you do badly throughout the year but you get a eureka moment, once youve sussed it youll get high grades, and then youll have to work reallly hard if you want an even higher grade like an A*

I hope that eureka moment comes pretty fast haha. My main worry is finding the subject boring 'cause then I'll lose all motivation to study.

Original post by tooambitious
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1835749 look there for opiniOns on econ and other subjects

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Aussie-Pom

History isn't a good option for me. Modern history bores me to death (except the holocaust). Yeah, and with the ridiculous amount of reading there is in History, it would kill me. Ancient History is more my thing.

Class Civ = dull? really? Personal preference, I guess. I thought it'd be a good option for me since I like English and really interested in the lifestyle of ancient civilisations.

I hope that eureka moment comes pretty fast haha. My main worry is finding the subject boring 'cause then I'll lose all motivation to study.

i thought the same about class civ. I did GCSE. Not only is it difficult to achieve a high grade, the literature modules are generally dull.
Reply 62
Original post by AboveTheLine
I've chosen Maths, Physics, Law, Business & Economics.

those aren't good choices for law.
Reply 63
Original post by Aussie-Pom

its really not that difficult and all ill say is very few people in my class didnt like the subject :smile:
Reply 64
I picked Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Politic's (y)
Original post by JoeFo
I picked Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Politic's (y)

what are you planning to do in the future ???
Reply 66
Original post by GentlemanOfTheRoad
Class Civ is respected just the same as the other 3 it's just tediously dull.

I took Classics, English Literature and English Language. The 3 a-levels do sort of mix well together but I wouldn't say that it's a dull subject as such... In AS we did women and how they were seen in Greece and also Sparta, it was very interesting that part actually. The second part was a bit harder, roman architecture which I basically failed in the exam so I am redoing that part of the exam in summer ;A;
This year I've done Persians and The Persian War (if you've seen the movie 300 it's partly about that..) and now we're doing Alexander the Great. I think the thing about Classics is that depending on what your teacher decides what your modules will be about, you have a lot of source questions. Like looking at plays, written evidence and especially in this year, books.

Quick Reply