The Student Room Group

"I'll put in a good word for you"

As a guy that often asks friends, male and female, to do this for me with girls I like I have always wondered exactly how they put it...

If a friend asks you to put in a good word for them, do you just sidle up to this person and say "heeeey, what do you think of suchandsuch?" or "psst, so and so likes you", or is it more subtle?
Reply 1
Usually means just asking what they think about a person.

It also tends not to work if you are over the age of 12.
Reply 2
Don't be such a pussy and go talk to her yourself.

That'll say to her that you don't have any balls.
[Name] likes u...

Simple.
Reply 4
Original post by Sui-Kinxtar_kitty
[Name] likes u...

Simple.

Really though? See I always thought it was much more subtle, just waiting for their name to come up and then saying something good about them. The more direct the better though.
Original post by Anonymous
Really though? See I always thought it was much more subtle, just waiting for their name to come up and then saying something good about them. The more direct the better though.

Can I ask what the point of that is?
Reply 6
Original post by littleshambles
Can I ask what the point of that is?

It would obviously be less effective I know.

So "I'll put in a good word for you" basically means "I will tell them you like them"? Crap, I have been asking people to do this for me far too much..
They say they will 'put in a good word for you' as a goodwill gesture and not to disappoint or let you down. Most likely, they will brush it off and not put in a good word for you.
Don't take everything to heart or believe what a friend says. They most likely do not care about your troubles. This is too much responsibility and not high school.

How old are you exactly?
Reply 8
Original post by Pink Liquid
They say they will 'put in a good word for you' as a goodwill gesture and not to disappoint or let you down. Most likely, they will brush it off and not put in a good word for you.
Don't take everything to heart or believe what a friend says. They most likely do not care about your troubles. This is too much responsibility and not high school.

How old are you exactly?

Hmm not always, I know for a fact that a couple of times they have "put in a good word for me", I just never know what that entails.

I am in my early 20s.

Nope I would tell them directly...
Hmm not always, I know for a fact that a couple of times they have "put in a good word for me", I just never know what that entails.

I am in my early 20s.

The person who is putting in a good word for you, do they themselves have a successful long-term committed relationship? If not, then whatever they do is irrelevant as anything that is good out there, they would most likely put themselves first. Don't be naive. So yes, you don't know what it entails.

Always look beyond one's success. Some friends can appear happy on the outside or project that they are successful and that life is fabulous is lived by their way, but if you look beyong and behind what is truly beneath the surface, it's all revealed.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending