The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

University of Westminister - Fashion Buying/Merchandise Management Sept 2012

Hi all,

Im applying for Fashion Buying Management and Fashion Merchandising Management at the University of Westminister to start in Sept 2012... just wondering who else is applying for these courses and what course you are coming from?

Im currently doing a BTEC National Extended Diploma in Business.

Also, whats everyone doing for their portfolio if they are not coming from an art based subject like me?

Thanks!!

Annie JJ :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied for this too.!:smile: but..I was pretty sure you don't need a portfolio for this one do you.? =s
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Reply 2
I know you do for buying as my friend was on this course... But not sure about merchandising!
What course you on now?
I checked as I was worried too, because I haven't done art since year 9.... Merchandising you don't need a portfolio...buying, you do.

With regards to buying, I would honestly send westmin an email (send it to the admissions person who sent an email through saying you'd gotten an interview as then it won't take ages to get back to you!) just asking if there's anything specific that needs to be within the portfolio.... that way, you won't be leaving anthing obvious out.

But you can't go wrong by starting off with like a lookbook to begin with, latest trends, compare different countries fashions, look into the latest ways of developing new fabrics, how to source them and ethic issues with that, I'd pop in a design of your own if you can, just one (I don't know how arty you are) that's really detailed and add in fabric samples? Just to give you some ideas... I've flicked over loads of articles and forums etc in the past and been on a course, so that's where I've based my suggestions :smile: xxx
Reply 4
Original post by alanakennedy
I checked as I was worried too, because I haven't done art since year 9.... Merchandising you don't need a portfolio...buying, you do.

With regards to buying, I would honestly send westmin an email (send it to the admissions person who sent an email through saying you'd gotten an interview as then it won't take ages to get back to you!) just asking if there's anything specific that needs to be within the portfolio.... that way, you won't be leaving anthing obvious out.

But you can't go wrong by starting off with like a lookbook to begin with, latest trends, compare different countries fashions, look into the latest ways of developing new fabrics, how to source them and ethic issues with that, I'd pop in a design of your own if you can, just one (I don't know how arty you are) that's really detailed and add in fabric samples? Just to give you some ideas... I've flicked over loads of articles and forums etc in the past and been on a course, so that's where I've based my suggestions :smile: xxx

Im really not arty at all.. like i just cannot draw to save my life!
You seem like youve got your port DOWN!
Im well nervous, I hope i just dont get an interview for buying now, i only want to do merchandising any way!
Original post by AnnieJJ
Im really not arty at all.. like i just cannot draw to save my life!
You seem like youve got your port DOWN!
Im well nervous, I hope i just dont get an interview for buying now, i only want to do merchandising any way!

Ahaha....and I don't even need to do one! S'alright, I can't draw to save my life either! ah just cheat, steal some not that big designer's style of a dress or something, print it out, trace it and just change like the fabric and colour and like I dunno neckline or length of the dress.... and just say in the interview that you really like the designer and that's where you get your inspiration from!
Reply 6
Ahaha....and I don't even need to do one! S'alright, I can't draw to save my life either! ah just cheat, steal some not that big designer's style of a dress or something, print it out, trace it and just change like the fabric and colour and like I dunno neckline or length of the dress.... and just say in the interview that you really like the designer and that's where you get your inspiration from!

Good idea! Been emailing a woman from Westminster today and she was saying they are sortin out the students who have applie for both of the fashion management courses at the uni and if I would prefer to be seen for both of them or travel to London separately for it.
Told her if I have to travel down seperately for the interviews then I'd rather only be seen for merchandising so she has noted that merch is my preference so I'm pretty happy now!
Also just received a conditional offer from mmu for their buying and merchandising course :smile:
X
Ahhh well done! So what have you applied for then in total?

I'm:
LCF - Fashion Management
Westmin - Merchandising Management
LCF - International F.M
LCF - Fashion Public Relations
Uni of Manchester - The Management and Marketing of Fashion Textiles (but I've only applied there as a backup, so that if I decide that I actually just wanted to do a standard business degree I'd have the choice to go there and convert to a business degree when I got there because Manchester is great for business)

But what's your first choice...I can't decide between LCF or Westmin?!!?
Reply 8
Awwh my first choice is wmin for merchandising!
Went to the open day there and it just has an awesome feel (despite what I've read on here)
Not been to see LCF.. I've applied for fashion mngmt and international mngmt though :smile:
But I want to do
Merchandising and I'd prefer to go to harrow campus because I don't wanna be in central London accommodation as it will be way too expensive for me! Coming from Yorkshire I'm already going to die at most price hikes moving down to London as it is! Haha
Reply 9
i applied for fashion management and have an interview on the 6th of feb. very nervous already!

regarding a portfolio, when i went to the open day they mentioned that you didn't need one for merchandising (i'm sure you could always take one if you wanted to though!) but you needed something for buying, which it probably says about it on their site... i'm only applying for merchandising so i don't really remember what it was! you may not but i think that's where the portfolio confusion has come from!
Reply 10
Got my interview date as well :smile: really happy but scared has anyone had their interview yet ?
Had it... a lot less scary than you would think!
Reply 12
Had it... a lot less scary than you would think!

What for ?! buying or merchandising at wmin?

WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD ANYTHING FROM THEM YET?! ITS MY FIRST CHOICE :'(
Reply 13
You'll probably hear something soon and how long was the group discussion for?
Reply 14
Original post by tanniiee
You'll probably hear something soon and how long was the group discussion for?

I hope so, cannot bear the waiting around knowing that you guys have got interviews! =\
The whole thing was done in like an hour and a half...

first they take you into a room and tell you about the course....it's getting reevaluated anyway guys so it's changing....then they said there was no real point in giving a tour as half the place is closed down because they're refurbishing, and if you're getting the tube you walk past all the halls of residence anyway to get to the entrance of the uni...then the numeracy test...now I'm quite good at maths... but to call it a test is an insult to tests... although I know some people found it quite difficult... but it's more of a test to see if you can type 27 x 45 into your calculator...just learn ratios, percentages, and know the most BASIC functions of a calculator and you'll be fine if you're getting all worried about it.
Then the group discussion, that only lasted like I dunno 10 minutes, not that scary...then they split you up into groups and (there's two lecturer's talking to you) half go with one lecturer and half the other, and you all get interviewed individually.
I got the slightly sharper lecturer and ****ed up slightly on a basic but fundamental question, but I don't want to get my hopes up because apart from that...I think, it went quite well?

But I should hear pretty soon what's what, a lot of the time people get the result on the same day, and the lecturer said that they tell admissions who they want as soon as the interviews that day is over...

But I was such an idiot ahaha...checked my UCAS on an iphone...saw 'Conditional' went mental and decided yep, it's my first choice! WOO (I'd said I'd never let myself choose the order until I actually got my offers so that I didn't get my hopes up)...but then I checked again when I got home... I got the lines mixed up on UCAS...and had actually just read the 'Conditional' from the offer I already had to Manchester! And now I'd be so gutted if I get rejected from Westmin as I know it's my first choice and I really want to go there!!
The whole thing was done in like an hour and a half...

first they take you into a room and tell you about the course....it's getting reevaluated anyway guys so it's changing....then they said there was no real point in giving a tour as half the place is closed down because they're refurbishing, and if you're getting the tube you walk past all the halls of residence anyway to get to the entrance of the uni...then the numeracy test...now I'm quite good at maths... but to call it a test is an insult to tests... although I know some people found it quite difficult... but it's more of a test to see if you can type 27 x 45 into your calculator...just learn ratios, percentages, and know the most BASIC functions of a calculator and you'll be fine if you're getting all worried about it.
Then the group discussion, that only lasted like I dunno 10 minutes, not that scary...then they split you up into groups and (there's two lecturer's talking to you) half go with one lecturer and half the other, and you all get interviewed individually.
I got the slightly sharper lecturer and ****ed up slightly on a basic but fundamental question, but I don't want to get my hopes up because apart from that...I think, it went quite well?

But I should hear pretty soon what's what, a lot of the time people get the result on the same day, and the lecturer said that they tell admissions who they want as soon as the interviews that day is over...

But I was such an idiot ahaha...checked my UCAS on an iphone...saw 'Conditional' went mental and decided yep, it's my first choice! WOO (I'd said I'd never let myself choose the order until I actually got my offers so that I didn't get my hopes up)...but then I checked again when I got home... I got the lines mixed up on UCAS...and had actually just read the 'Conditional' from the offer I already had to Manchester! And now I'd be so gutted if I get rejected from Westmin as I know it's my first choice and I really want to go there!!

Im sure you'll get in good luck. When did you send your UCAS? Is sent mine on 8the 8th Dec and i got 2 e-mails from westmin a week later, informing me that they have my application, but i havent heard a peep from them since. Getting worried. Just last week i found out i have an interview at LCF for Fashion management on the 3rd of Feb, quite a surprise tbqh. What did you wear to your interview? Were you nervous? xx
Reply 17
Original post by BambieWambie
Im sure you'll get in good luck. When did you send your UCAS? Is sent mine on 8the 8th Dec and i got 2 e-mails from westmin a week later, informing me that they have my application, but i havent heard a peep from them since. Getting worried. Just last week i found out i have an interview at LCF for Fashion management on the 3rd of Feb, quite a surprise tbqh. What did you wear to your interview? Were you nervous? xx

Ive got an interview at LCF for that course on the 3rd of Feb too! Do we have any idea what time it will finish because we have to get there at half 9... just wondering on booking my train home etc!
And I sent mine off on the 15th of Dec and they are still getting through the applications from what I can gather... (been emailing someone at admissions!) I havent heard anything back either so I wouldnt worry!
Original post by AnnieJJ
Ive got an interview at LCF for that course on the 3rd of Feb too! Do we have any idea what time it will finish because we have to get there at half 9... just wondering on booking my train home etc!
And I sent mine off on the 15th of Dec and they are still getting through the applications from what I can gather... (been emailing someone at admissions!) I havent heard anything back either so I wouldnt worry!

In the e-mail it said until the afternoon,maybe up until 2-4, thats if you pass the maths test. My predicted grades are awful, i was gobsmacked when i saw my UCAS last friday. Do you know what we should wear? and where abouts are you travelling from?
Reply 19
East Yorkshire! Coming down on the weds and traveling back up on the Friday! See my predicted grades are really good, whether I'll get there or not is a different story!

Where are you from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending