The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 1
i don't know anything about drama as a subject in the uni as i do straight english. for joint honours, i know that you take two modules in english - literature foundation and independent study. the first of which (in the first year this is) involves looking at general issues to do with literature like textual editions, various theories, certain movements and then you look at about 5-6 actual texts. independent study involves, in the first semester, group work which ends up in a presentation. in the second semester it's individual work, but you have to stick to the same theme you were working on in the first semester. for example, my "theme" this year is "literature and the city". the presentation was something to do with "destruction in the city as a theme within and force upon literature" (you're free to make your own titles up and everything). this term, i'm going to be doing my individual project (basically research and essay) on something like "fantasy and realism in london's renaissance drama" - i.e. looking at how much or how little the average everyday life of a theatre goer was portrayed.

i have a feeling that you won't really do any language modules if you're doing joint honours. that said, there's always scope for paying close attention to language in literature analysis. feel free to ask if you have anymore questions.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
thanks for the info! It all seems a little confusing to me at the moment - wish i hadn't taken a gap year now, think i've forgotten everything! The other day i told someone that to purge someone meant to burn them with a stick and that it had derived from purgery!! Then i realised later that i was thinking of purgatory, and the word didn't mean that at all. oh dear!

It says on the uni website that if you're in joint honours you can only take one pathway, so i'd have to entirely concentrate on either lit or lang...hmm...still undecided, but thanks!
Reply 3
i'd imagine that the literature side of things might complement drama better. we've looked at quite a few plays; some beckett, shakespeare, jonson and even the odd medieval morality play.

Latest

Trending

Trending