The Student Room Group

Prestigious University

Are University of Southampton, Sheffield and Loughborough considered prestigious? They dont necessarily have to be in terms of overall but lets say in terms of Engineering or to be more specific Aerospace Engineering.
Everyone on here seems to have some weird psychosis about prestige. I f you like those unis best then pick them. If you pick a uni based on "prestige" you'll probably regret it.
Reply 2
Original post by conversationmaster
Everyone on here seems to have some weird psychosis about prestige. I f you like those unis best then pick them. If you pick a uni based on "prestige" you'll probably regret it.

I already picked them and believe me I analyzed my every choice thoroughly. I know for sure that they are very good but i was just wondering if they could be classified in the 'prestigious' category.
Original post by verello12

I already picked them and believe me I analyzed my every choice thoroughly. I know for sure that they are very good but i was just wondering if they could be classified in the 'prestigious' category.

What one did you pick?
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure everyone has a different definition of prestigious. They are good uni's with accredited courses, go to whichever you like best and lets you in.

All this talk of prestige is completely superficial, engineering degrees are considered by employers to be much of a muchness. Pick the uni with teh course you think you will like best and do best in.

I'm not sure what the prestigious category is. They're all russell group universities and I a quick check on the guardian uni guide will show you that their engineering employment rates (graduates employed after 6 months) are around 80%. There is really nothing to worry about.
They seems "prestigious" to me and seemingly to employers as well.
Reply 6
Original post by Keckers
I'm pretty sure everyone has a different definition of prestigious. They are good uni's with accredited courses, go to whichever you like best and lets you in.

All this talk of prestige is completely superficial, engineering degrees are considered by employers to be much of a muchness. Pick the uni with teh course you think you will like best and do best in.

What do you mean by that? Genuine question.
Reply 7
Original post by gummers
What do you mean by that? Genuine question.

Any engineering degree from an accredited institution is going to give you the same grounding in mathematics and engineering concepts. Employers generally don't see an engineering degree from say, Loughborough as any different than one from Nottingham. The skills (which is what employers look for in graduates) you learn during an engineering degree are the same wherever you study it.
Reply 8
yes they are, all Russel group unis and most 1994 group unis are pretty prestigious.
Are University of Southampton, Sheffield and Loughborough considered prestigious? They dont necessarily have to be in terms of overall but lets say in terms of Engineering or to be more specific Aerospace Engineering.

Southampton is 'worse' than Sheffield is 'worse' than Loughborough in terms of 'prestige' whatever you actually want to call it.
Reply 10
Original post by siwelmail
Southampton is 'worse' than Sheffield is 'worse' than Loughborough in terms of 'prestige' whatever you actually want to call it.

I dont agree
I dont agree

That's good to hear, no seriously, just state your preference?

(I'm in year 13 applying for mechanical engineering but none of those 3 I will be applying to)
Reply 12

You have it backwards there, Southampton > Sheffield > Loughborough

It's not hugely important in engineering though
Reply 13
That's good to hear, no seriously, just state your preference?

(I'm in year 13 applying for mechanical engineering but none of those 3 I will be applying to)

Since your applying to mechanical engineering I imagine that you wont be applying to those unis
Reply 14
Original post by .Theory

Yea, which makes those 3 unis fairly equal in terms of Aerospace Engineering coursers. They all specialize in engineering tho especially aerospace
Original post by .Theory

Personal opinion but yes for Engineering they don't care where you did it
Since your applying to mechanical engineering I imagine that you wont be applying to those unis

Which is exactly what I said, but in proper English. Your point?
Reply 17
Which is exactly what I said, but in proper English. Your point?

You made it sound like the unis I applied weren't good enough for you. So its not what you said at all, you simply assumed I knew what you were talking about. Being ignorant is not gonna get you anywhere in life kid. That's my point.

Quick Reply

Latest