The Student Room Group

Cost of University

Hey,

I'm hoping to go to Glasgow Uni in a couple of years (I'm in 5th year currently), and I started thinking about how much it was actually going to cost. From what I gather around £26,000 would cover things for 3 years, and £27,000-£30,000 would allow for a very comfortable lifestyle.

I looked at what job income I can get and I estimated that I could cover the costs of up to £30,000, so from working I could cover the cost of Uni alone.

But I was wondering what other options there are. Obviously I might get help from my parents in terms of some money each week, and I can always put some savings towards it.

But what options are there like loansand bursaries and how do they work.
Whether you get a loan and/or bursary depends on your household income.

Look at the tables here, and you can get a rough idea of what you'd receive from SAAS:
http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/support_packages.htm
Reply 2
Original post by ZombieCharge
Whether you get a loan and/or bursary depends on your household income.

Look at the tables here, and you can get a rough idea of what you'd receive from SAAS:
http://www.saas.gov.uk/student_support/support_packages.htm

Let's say I didn't take out a loan and managed to earn around £30,000 over 3 years. Subtract the cost of accomdation, lets say £12,000. That leaves around £18,000. How good is that compared to the average amount?
Original post by JaggySnake95
Let's say I didn't take out a loan and managed to earn around £30,000 over 3 years. Subtract the cost of accomdation, lets say £12,000. That leaves around £18,000. How good is that compared to the average amount?

How are you getting £30,000 from?

Accommodation (Catered) = £5,000
Other = £2,000
Total = £7,000

So, I think you'd only need about £21,000 for three years to live comfortably but if you want to be very comfy (able to go out all the time and not worry about money at all) then maybe add another £1-2,000 per year. Just my opinion, but I think you should work out in detail what you're likely to spend your money on.

Quick Reply

Latest