The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Does Hull suit me? (applying for Law yeah :D )

I am an international student from Hong Kong.
However I love living in the country side, old and historic buildings are my fav places to study and live.

(I kind of dislike modern buildings which look like this

Clubbing is not my thing. I have been to a pub or disco or wtever but I didnt enjoy it.
My hobbies are reading, going onto the Internet, a bit of shopping and a bit of running.
I hope I can do most of the shopping on site.

Since I am applying for Law, a decent, quiet and large library will be helpful. (The Larkin???)

Im currently living in New Milton, Hampshire so it's not easy to find a suitable time to visit Uni of Hull.

THANKS FOR ANY COMMENTS :smile::smile::smile:
Original post by ray_charlene
However I love living in the country side, old and historic buildings are my fav places to study and live.

Clubbing is not my thing. I have been to a pub or disco or wtever but I didnt enjoy it.
My hobbies are reading, going onto the Internet, a bit of shopping and a bit of running.

Since I am applying for Law, a decent, quiet and large library will be helpful. (The Larkin???)

Im currently living in New Milton, Hampshire so it's not easy to find a suitable time to visit Uni of Hull.

I am not sure that you will like Hull but the university is midway between Hull and Beverley and you you will like Beverley.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
The University isn't in the countryside. Hull is a city. The campus is lovely granted but its not some quiet rural area! I know the picture looks rural and countrysidey and they do make the campus look lovely, but have a look at the uni on google maps! I would suggest you visit it though if you want to go there. Everyone I know loves it, so that would never be a problem, but you really should visit before you commit 3 years of your life to living there!

Library is the Brynmoor Jones Library. Lovely place and well equipped.

Hull's not a very beautiful place. Beverley is reasonably nice, but Hull itself doesn't encompass most of the things you said you like. What are your grades like? Are you a top student in your school etc?
Reply 4
Original post by Jellybean91
The University isn't in the countryside. Hull is a city. The campus is lovely granted but its not some quiet rural area! I know the picture looks rural and countrysidey and they do make the campus look lovely, but have a look at the uni on google maps! I would suggest you visit it though if you want to go there. Everyone I know loves it, so that would never be a problem, but you really should visit before you commit 3 years of your life to living there!

Library is the Brynmoor Jones Library. Lovely place and well equipped.

LOL I just had a look in google map and it's not exactly what I expected :redface:
ohh well... since I have already applied to it and it's one of my two safe choices :rolleyes:
Thank you anyway :smile: :smile: they are indeed very helpful!
how long does it take to travel from the accommodation to a supermarket?
Do you/your friends take university bus/bus/go there on foot?
Reply 5
Original post by hassi94
Hull's not a very beautiful place. Beverley is reasonably nice, but Hull itself doesn't encompass most of the things you said you like. What are your grades like? Are you a top student in your school etc?

my predicted grades are A(achieved) AAC ...
not even close to the bright students (omg they've got like A*A*A*A :eek: :eek: :eek: )

hull requires BBB from us, and I honestly think it's quite hard to get 2As in A2 so...:colondollar:

The top building is Esk, Dewent and Wharfe (cant see them all) It is the Business School. Its where I study. Law is in a different building I think and the buildings all look very different.

Edit: My bad. Its actually the Venn builing. Thats next to the business scholl and looks like it... thats what threw me. still Law is not taught in a building like this. Research building like Larkin for law i think.

Also the Library is call Brynmor Jones.
(edited 12 years ago)
my predicted grades are A(achieved) AAC ...
not even close to the bright students (omg they've got like A*A*A*A :eek: :eek: :eek: )

hull requires BBB from us, and I honestly think it's quite hard to get 2As in A2 so...:colondollar:

That's pretty great tbh, don't sell yourself too short. But okay that's fair enough, I hear Hull is good for Law (my brother studies Mech Eng there though :smile:)

But yeah it is quite industrial in the most of hull, there are nice surrounding countrysides but they are a bit out of the way so don't expect luscious fields in all directions :tongue:
LOL I just had a look in google map and it's not exactly what I expected :redface:
ohh well... since I have already applied to it and it's one of my two safe choices :rolleyes:
Thank you anyway :smile: :smile: they are indeed very helpful!
how long does it take to travel from the accommodation to a supermarket?
Do you/your friends take university bus/bus/go there on foot?

If its any consolation, it really is a lovely city! Everyones really friendly :smile:
It all depends on where you are... normally theres at least a little tesco express/ sainsburys local a 5 min walk away. Most first years live on the lawns, (which is located in a lovely little village, a little more what youd be looking for) its a 15 min walk ish to shops but i never found it a problem. If you live there you have to take the bus to uni, but it really was a fantastic place to live! If you end up in student houses, theyre normally walking distance from the uni and walking distances from loads of shops, pubs, take aways :smile:

Original post by hassi94
That's pretty great tbh, don't sell yourself too short. But okay that's fair enough, I hear Hull is good for Law (my brother studies Mech Eng there though :smile:)

But yeah it is quite industrial in the most of hull, there are nice surrounding countrysides but they are a bit out of the way so don't expect luscious fields in all directions :tongue:

The uni area is anything but industrial!
Original post by Jellybean91

The uni area is anything but industrial!

No not the uni area so much, but the city as a whole I was saying :smile:
Original post by hassi94
No not the uni area so much, but the city as a whole I was saying :smile:

City centre isnt either! And the only places that she'll ever need to go are cottingham, uni and city centre :smile: You have to really look as a student in Hull to find the industrial parts! (and lets face it what city doesn't have them :tongue: oh and if you frequent spiders but I doubt OP will be doing that anyway :wink: ) The only reason I ever found them is because my brother lives in scarborough and I have a nasty habit of getting lost while i'm driving! :wink:

Honestly, I couldnt give Hull high enough praise, I love it there and I really miss it at the moment (year abroad) Go have a look round OP and see for yourself :smile:
Reply 11

If you're thinking of coming to the University of Hull, don't think at all, JUST COME! Believe me when I tell you this, I'm also an international student from Greece and I love it here! The university, the buildings, the helpful staff, the supermarkets being so close, the city centre being so amazing with all its shopping malls and cinemas and you name it ! You'll have a fantastic time if you manage to come here. The university is a respectable one and your degree, especially in Law, will be worth a lot .. My close friend studies Law and we live together on campus, she loves it and enjoys every bit of it .. She tells me it's exactly what she expected from studying Law .. If you have ANY other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. I really am happy to help because I was in your place last year and I hated not knowing anything and, most importantly, not being able to go on open days like all the English students here. But, I'm glad I made the right choice ! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by patrick101
If you're thinking of coming to the University of Hull, don't think at all, JUST COME! Believe me when I tell you this, I'm also an international student from Greece and I love it here! The university, the buildings, the helpful staff, the supermarkets being so close, the city centre being so amazing with all its shopping malls and cinemas and you name it ! You'll have a fantastic time if you manage to come here. The university is a respectable one and your degree, especially in Law, will be worth a lot .. My close friend studies Law and we live together on campus, she loves it and enjoys every bit of it .. She tells me it's exactly what she expected from studying Law .. If you have ANY other questions, please don't hesitate to ask me. I really am happy to help because I was in your place last year and I hated not knowing anything and, most importantly, not being able to go on open days like all the English students here. But, I'm glad I made the right choice ! :biggrin:

What a great post Patrick. Glad you're enjoying Hull so much

You attend Brockenhurst college? If so you can just easily catch a train up to Hull one weekend you have free, even better why not over Christmas holidays?

Trust me though there are better universities comparable to Hull with something you're looking more for.

Quick Reply

Latest