The Student Room Group

Give me some examples of debatable or controversial issues in criminal law

I cant think of a topic for the independent research project. However, I want it to be related to criminal law. Any ideas?

Reply 1
The law of murder is in a mess and it's all down to the mandatory life sentence ?
Think there was a news item about this today and, if I remember correctly, it echoes a comment made by one of the Law Lords after the last reform.
Suggest a trawl of the Law Commission's website for issues currently under review, or recent reviews. If you've any interest in migration law/forced marriage see recent decision of Supreme Court in Quila. Decided on ECHR issues but leads into wider discussion of what UK should do in terms of prevention. Forcing someone into marriage is not a criminal offence in England or Wales ( although various criminal offences may be involved in it ). Law in Scotland is about to change to introduce a specific criminal offence. Should England and Wales do likewise ? Just a couple of quick suggestions.
Reply 2
Original post by cliffg
The law of murder is in a mess and it's all down to the mandatory life sentence ?
Think there was a news item about this today and, if I remember correctly, it echoes a comment made by one of the Law Lords after the last reform.
Suggest a trawl of the Law Commission's website for issues currently under review, or recent reviews. If you've any interest in migration law/forced marriage see recent decision of Supreme Court in Quila. Decided on ECHR issues but leads into wider discussion of what UK should do in terms of prevention. Forcing someone into marriage is not a criminal offence in England or Wales ( although various criminal offences may be involved in it ). Law in Scotland is about to change to introduce a specific criminal offence. Should England and Wales do likewise ? Just a couple of quick suggestions.

Can you please elaborate on the issue regarding murder?
Reply 4
joint enterprise law
Reply 7
Original post by Jawad22
Thanks

If going down homicide reform, take a look at:

Terence Morris and Sir Louis Blom-Cooper's Fine lines and distinctions: Murder, manslaughter and the unlawful taking of human life (Waterside Press 2011). You can read portions of it online at Google books. It has received very good press. It gives good discussion of the development of homicide and how, after recent reforms (such as through the Coroners and Justice Act) we're still in a mess. I've found it a cracking read.
Reply 8
article 8
Reply 9
Original post by Jawad22
I cant think of a topic for the independent research project. However, I want it to be related to criminal law. Any ideas?

There's another one for you the news this am - the age of criminal responsibility.
Reply 10
Laws surrounding Squatting? INteresting angle of 'Human Rights' vs Civil RIghts, and infact a conflict of Human Rights interests etc.
Reply 11
Consent in relation to sexual offences is a little messed up in my opinion also. They seem to get really confused when it comes down to submission and drunken consent.
Illegality of euthanasia. Should be legal obviously.
Reply 13
Take a look at R v Jones (Gemma)... Ommisions and duty of care.... Juxtapose and contrast this with the ruling in R v Kennedy et al...

Quick Reply

Latest