The Student Room Group

Girls - How practical do you find skirts.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IntelligenceArtifi
I'm short too and I don't have a problem. A lot of the things I wear though might be intended for children. Sometimes I wear skirts that brush the floor a bit lol. Of course that gets them dirty too.

Yeah, probably if I looked around a bit I'd find some decent ones, but children's stuff really wouldn't fit me and there's not so much choice in the petite sections usually... I have the same problem with jeans, but they're easier to take up :smile: I may add some long skirts the big list of stuff I want to make myself when I get round to buying fabric though.. :biggrin:
Original post by DontJudge
You can't bend down in them, so annoying!

oh i get it.. you negged me because you got negged quite a few times.. oh dear
Reply 42
Original post by Pixiefairy

I didn't neg you, lol.
I couldn't give two shts about neg, would it really made a difference to the red gems i have.

And calm down man, why are apne fighting.

Or maybe it a misclick.
(edited 12 years ago)
I didn't neg you, lol.
I couldn't give two shts about neg, would it really made a difference to the red gems i have.

And calm down man, why are apne fighting.

i love your red gems.. just think of them as rubys lol
Original post by master roflcopter
Yeah, probably if I looked around a bit I'd find some decent ones, but children's stuff really wouldn't fit me and there's not so much choice in the petite sections usually... I have the same problem with jeans, but they're easier to take up :smile: I may add some long skirts the big list of stuff I want to make myself when I get round to buying fabric though.. :biggrin:

Well I'm not that short maybe the height of a 14 year old. Myself I don't really like jeans. Despite the problems I still wear skirts 99% of the times. but then again I'm very girly and prefer looks over practicality.

I gave rep to make up:wink:
Reply 45
i love your red gems.. just think of them as rubys lol

Don't worry i do, emeralds suck, come to the dark side :colone:
Original post by angelbones
Except that you're never wearing underwear that nice when it happens!

imagine if it was your one pair of underwear which happened to have a hole in it! :eek:
Don't worry i do, emeralds suck, come to the dark side :colone:

LOL :K: sounds devious.. i like it :ninja:
Original post by IntelligenceArtifi
Well I'm not that short maybe the height of a 14 year old. Myself I don't really like jeans. Despite the problems I still wear skirts 99% of the times. but then again I'm very girly and prefer looks over practicality.

I gave rep to make up:wink:

awwww :h:
I love skirts, i wear them all the time. While they are impractical compared to jeans, i dont find them that much of a pain. They encourage you to be more lady like :P. Plus i always love twirl like im a three old in them sometimes :biggrin: just dont try it when your drunk :biggrin:
Reply 50
I never sdeem to have a problem with them. Admittedly I don't wear long skirts (they do sound a pain) but I don't have the same problems for short skirts (means somewhere between mid-thigh and knee, not proper minis). All my skirts are skirt heavy - enough so that wind doesn't blow them about anyway. Really doesn't bother me to wear one, and they are just to easy to wear!
Reply 51
Always wear them to work, never have a problem with them really, and they are more feminine.
(edited 12 years ago)
I never realised people had so much trouble with skirts...

As for practicality it depends entirely on what kind of skirt it is and what you want to go do whilst wearing it...
Original post by takethyfacehence
I never realised people had so much trouble with skirts...

As for practicality it depends entirely on what kind of skirt it is and what you want to go do whilst wearing it...

Haha, I tend to prefer all the impractical ones in terms of looks.
Reply 54
I much prefer them to jeans! I always wear shorter tighter ones as they suit my figure more, anything floaty makes my arse looks the size of an elephant. I don't really do anything during the day which makes it impractical, I only climb stairs and maybe walk over a table to get to the other side in the common room...
It's taken me a long time to realise that thermal leggings/thick tights are just as warm as most trousers, but have the advantage of not wicking up muddy water from puddles. I'll add a pair of Uniqlo knitted shorts in if it's particularly cold. The one thing is the lack of sensible pockets, but if I tuck my top into the skirt and upturn it, I have a fairly serviceable pseudo-pocket for my MP3 player and wallet.
Reply 56
The most impractical thing about skirts is the lack of pockets and them blowing up in the wind! Although I do have this one skirt (it's a smart one, used to wear it for school) and it always, always, ALWAYS rides up when i walk...it'll start just above my knees but will end up halfway round my thighs and yesterday.... God, I unzipped my coat as I was getting hot, realised i couldn't really feel my skirt, looked down.... and it had ridden all the way up and was just about to expose me :eek3: effing thing.
It's also kind of annoying when you want to wear a skirt but it's cold, because tights don't always cut the mustard and leggings don't always look right :frown:
I usually wear short to mid length skirts so I don't know the hassle of wearing longer ones...

Original post by screenager2004
To be fair you get a lot more freedom, they can be really good if you've got shorts on underneath. But otherwise they're just stupid.

LET'S DESIGN CLOTHING WHERE YOUR UNDERWEAR IS ALL EXPOSED, THAT'S A GOOD IDEA!

All skirts should come with a matching pair of comfy short-shorts so you can't ever expose yourself :yep:
I force myself to believe that so that I keep wearing skirts but deep down I know that they involve a lot of sacrifices concerning practicality. Especially long skirts.
I've got a few maxis and they cause me no end of bother. Apparently I don't walk in a feminine way - my stride are too long 'cos I keep tripping up in my skirts as I can't stretch my legs enough lol.
Shorter skirts - I love, but I hate my top and skirt seaparating and showing skin at the stomach, and I wish they were weighed down as the wind is always catching them!

So: I love them, but generally impractical.
Reply 59
I wear skirts and dresses most of the time, I don't find them impractical! I like the feel of them, far more comfy. I rarely wear jeans, I'll wear a denim skirt instead.

Quick Reply

Latest