Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Decent nights out in Cam

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So over my first Michaelmas, I've tried Cindies, Life, Rev's, Lola and Fez. I especially dislike Cindies - I didn't like S Club 7 when I was 10, nor do I now. The others aren't quite so bad but all are pretty cheesy and none are really my thing. I'm not trying to suggest that I'm too cool for cheese (I'm really not cool), I just don't enjoy that sort of music no matter how drunk I am.

I'm wondering if there's anywhere good for drum and bass or anywhere with decent live bands? I'm not bothered what day of the week as I don't have a "regular fixture" which I especially enjoy so I'm pretty flexible. I've not managed to make it to Clare Cellars either, is it likely to be more my thing?

Cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Unhelpful comment of the week, but still: Whattt? They actually played S Club? I wish they'd ramp up the cheese factor when *I* go.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS7)
    So over my first Michaelmas, I've tried Cindies, Life, Rev's, Lola and Fez. I especially dislike Cindies - I didn't like S Club 7 when I was 10, nor do I now. The others aren't quite so bad but all are pretty cheesy and none are really my thing. I'm not trying to suggest that I'm too cool for cheese (I'm really not cool), I just don't enjoy that sort of music no matter how drunk I am.

I'm wondering if there's anywhere good for drum and bass or anywhere with decent live bands? I'm not bothered what day of the week as I don't have a "regular fixture" which I especially enjoy so I'm pretty flexible. I've not managed to make it to Clare Cellars either, is it likely to be more my thing?

Cheers
    Clare Cellars is really lovely. You should go as soon as you can.

Have you been to Kambar? People who hate the regular clubs often like it.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NS7)

Cheers
    I haven't been to Cindies since midway through first year and I actually like cheese. It's dire by pretty much anyone's standards, particularly if you go sober on a Thursday like I did once in first year. However, we now just go to Spoons on a Friday, which I don't think will be any better for you! Emma Ents certainly used to be very drum and bassish and we occasionally have good live bands, so maybe you should look at that?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Clare Ents (Fridays) is always a good night, I've ended up going every week this term though I guess it's easier for me than most. I've yet to try Kambar but we're definitely planning on it next term, I'm getting equally sick of Cindies and Life.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    I haven't been to Cindies since midway through first year and I actually like cheese. It's dire by pretty much anyone's standards, particularly if you go sober on a Thursday like I did once in first year. However, we now just go to Spoons on a Friday, which I don't think will be any better for you! Emma Ents certainly used to be very drum and bassish and we occasionally have good live bands, so maybe you should look at that?
    Danger Spoons :eek:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Topaz_eyes)
    Danger Spoons :eek:
    Yeah, we live on the edge...

Actually, the only danger in danger spoons is hearing loss :p: I'm always deaf for days after i go.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Yeah, we live on the edge...

Actually, the only danger in danger spoons is hearing loss :p: I'm always deaf for days after i go.

Haha, I'm playing dangerous by posting that to a mod.

• 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't cover clubs, but you may find this useful:

http://www.cambridge-pubs.co.uk/

Of the pubs that are still open, I've done the green, the navy, most of the pink and yellow, and a few off the red and cyan.

Can anyone beat 67 pubs?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Someone has obviously never starred in Cindies Stories.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kambar is shut There are now no longer any decent nights out in Cambridge. Fact.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Kambar is shut There are now no longer any decent nights out in Cambridge. Fact.
    Yay Kambar. Let's all wear thick-rimmed glasses, knitted jumpers and grow our hair in an erratic fashion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There isn't one.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Doesn't cover clubs, but you may find this useful:

http://www.cambridge-pubs.co.uk/

Of the pubs that are still open, I've done the green, the navy, most of the pink and yellow, and a few off the red and cyan.

Can anyone beat 67 pubs?
    Man, I've only been to about 20 of those...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Man, I've only been to about 20 of those...

And worked in 1 of them.

But it's a bit out-of-date; I went to the Penny Ferry about 4 years ago before it closed, The Graduate is now the Tivoli, various other ones have closed, renamed, or moved, etc.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

And worked in 1 of them.

But it's a bit out-of-date; I went to the Penny Ferry about 4 years ago before it closed, The Graduate is now the Tivoli, various other ones have closed, renamed, or moved, etc.
    We should do a new updated version.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

And worked in 1 of them.

Do you know when the Penny Ferry changed name from the Pike & Eel?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexG55)
    Do you know when the Penny Ferry changed name from the Pike & Eel?

But then, it's still the P&E, in the same way that First Post corner is no longer by the first post, the Bus Shelter no longer exists, and no-one can see where Morley's Holt is- although it's plainly visible from the towpath- oops, I mean Halingway!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 16, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.