The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Is UEA an ugly university?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JosephHoneywood
I know this is like a 4 week late reply haha.
But I'm applying for Psychology and it just seemed fantastic there!
I'm really torn between Manchester and UEA. :frown:

I had a very similar problem and then I write down pros and cons for each university and it became pretty clear.. So question is what is important to you in terms of both study and social facilities?

I chose UEA and cannot wait for September!
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Original post by stud(ious)
I had a very similar problem and then I write down pros and cons for each university and it became pretty clear.. So question is what is important to you in terms of both study and social facilities?

I chose UEA and cannot wait for September!

Well I ended up firming Manchester and making UEA my insurance...

I'm going to ring UCAS tomorrow and swap it around. I can't get over how much I liked the campus, and that sports centre!? Madness.
Reply 42
Original post by JosephHoneywood
Well I ended up firming Manchester and making UEA my insurance...

I'm going to ring UCAS tomorrow and swap it around. I can't get over how much I liked the campus, and that sports centre!? Madness.

Yes, aside from my course the sports centre was a major attraction... my mate did same as you and just told UCAS to swap them round as he made a mistake. Good luck and hope to see you in sep!
Reply 43
Original post by GaryPowers
Seriously, anyone that thinks UEA is an ugly University should get their eyes tested. UEA is one of the loveliest Universities I've ever been to. It has a good share of both city life and countryside. I've been here long enough to know that it is nowhere near "ugly". If you want ugly, go to Essex. Sorry if you're reading this and you're from Essex, but I personally thought their campus didn't look as vibrant as ours at UEA. (Nothing to do with Derby Day competitions) No offence implied.

None taken - It's a ****hole. Never been to UEA so I can't comment on that, though.
Reply 44
I can tell you that UEA is rated very highly for Eye Candy on What Uni!

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/reviews/uni/University-Of-East-Anglia-eye-candy-reviews/5637/10/1/highest_rated/reviewcategory.html

And the campus isn't bad either, some really beautiful green areas as well as The Broad, the campus lake!
Original post by poppy15
I can tell you that UEA is rated very highly for Eye Candy on What Uni!

http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/reviews/uni/University-Of-East-Anglia-eye-candy-reviews/5637/10/1/highest_rated/reviewcategory.html

And the campus isn't bad either, some really beautiful green areas as well as The Broad, the campus lake!

Really? :holmes: I am loving this piece of information. I mean, not that I'm shallow or anything. I didn't apply for UEA because Matt Smith went there, or anything like that...:wink:

I actually didn't, although it didn't hurt.
UEA is absolutely stunning and really peaceful, if you like concrete, trees, grass, rabbits. It's a lovely place to be - you'll develop a community feel here after a while and won't want to leave. I was initially disappointed because my idea of uni was like the American TV shows - classic stone architecture with huge lawns. But UEA's different. Our motto is "do different" so it's a really cool and trendy place - way cooler than any London uni, even Goldsmiths, which was situated in a really rough urban area.

Unfortunately, people here are racist - especially locals. White people wouldn't know, because they are the majority and will tell you there's no racism just because they've never experienced racism themselves.

As a British person of brown colour who was proud of my middle-eastern roots (though not muslim so I could drink and go out to parties and the LCR) - I didn't fit in anywhere because I was a little quiet and reserved but I noticed even the most boring and antisocial white British people were part of large groups and having the time of their lives. But if you're loud and social and a guy, I'm sure you'll be fine no matter what colour or background you've got.

I eventually found my kind of people on my course - creative writing classes, Afro-Caribbean Soc are soooo friendly and sociable, Erasmus Soc, Capoeira and Permaculture are all very chilled out and accepting of eccentric and alternative people.
Original post by VirtuousCycle
UEA is absolutely stunning and really peaceful, if you like concrete, trees, grass, rabbits. It's a lovely place to be - you'll develop a community feel here after a while and won't want to leave. I was initially disappointed because my idea of uni was like the American TV shows - classic stone architecture with huge lawns. But UEA's different. Our motto is "do different" so it's a really cool and trendy place - way cooler than any London uni, even Goldsmiths, which was situated in a really rough urban area.

Unfortunately, people here are racist - especially locals. White people wouldn't know, because they are the majority and will tell you there's no racism just because they've never experienced racism themselves.

As a British person of brown colour who was proud of my middle-eastern roots (though not muslim so I could drink and go out to parties and the LCR) - I didn't fit in anywhere because I was a little quiet and reserved but I noticed even the most boring and antisocial white British people were part of large groups and having the time of their lives. But if you're loud and social and a guy, I'm sure you'll be fine no matter what colour or background you've got.

I eventually found my kind of people on my course - creative writing classes, Afro-Caribbean Soc are soooo friendly and sociable, Erasmus Soc, Capoeira and Permaculture are all very chilled out and accepting of eccentric and alternative people.

While I don't know your particular circumstances, I think you might be a little quick to assume that people are being racist. It can take people time to find a group they fit in with at uni, I was a bit lost myself for a while and deciding that everyone else is racist is not the way forward, as you cut yourself off from people who would be happy to include you. I ended up being friends almost exclusively with people on my course and in the societies I joined, so your experience is not unique, but jumping to assumed racism helps nobody, and will only push other people to self-isolate as well.
But I know racism when I see it. It feels cold. When someone sees you but looks through you. It's about excluding someone for no reason at all. And I came across half a dozen people in that in Norwich.

The other type of racism is, when you accept someone as being equal to you, in theory, but you wouldn't think of including them in your friendship group because you think they don't drink and party because they might be muslim, or assuming that they don't speak English, or thinking that they're an international student and will only stay for a year so there's no point in becoming friends.

There are different layers of racism, the most subtle of which isn't at all visible to the majority group, who think that there's nothing wrong.

On the other hand, I went to visit my friend at Goldsmith's uni in London and she was similar to me, but having so much fun and meeting lots of people.

I only started to have a proper university experience in my second year because I was getting tired of not being included, so I decided to stop being sensitive when people were rude to me and just meet people, chit chat with anyone and everyone. I avoided the kinds of people I didn't want to hang out with and went for the people who I did want to hang out with.

It all worked out well but only because I decided to ignore rude people. On my graduation day, my family, who thought that I was making it all up and finding excuses to not be outgoing, were shocked at how racist people were in Norwich - a barmaid didn't serve my sister even though she was clearly first in line, looked through her and then asked the next person what they wanted.

I ended up feeling hurt that they didn't like my beloved Norwich and were in no mood to walk around the city so that I could show them my favourite places because they wanted to get out asap lol.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by VirtuousCycle
I only started to have a proper university experience in my second year because I was getting tired of not being included, so I decided to stop being sensitive when people were rude to me and just meet people, chit chat with anyone and everyone. I avoided the kinds of people I didn't want to hang out with and went for the people who I did want to hang out with.

I think this applies to everyone, no matter the colour of your skin. At university you need to make an effort to interact with people, and you have to expect there will be people that you just don't get on with. I have seen a number of international (and local) students who have isolated themselves because they don't make any effort with others, not because people are being racist towards them. I have gained some good friends during my 4 years at UEA of many different races and none have mentioned any problems with racism.

I'm not saying that racisim doesn't exist at UEA or in Norwich, but I don't believe it exists to the extent that you think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending