The Student Room Group

Increasing Tension Between the UK and Argentina over the Falkland Islands

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dean01234
Come on....

what political credibility does he have? why is he sticking his nose in matters that don't concern him?

Its almost as bad as the biased hypocritical Argentinians complaining.

He has no political credibility whatsoever, he just thinks he does, that's why he goes around South America meeting dictators from Venezuela, Cuba and other communists. It's not uncommon for actors/singers to stick their nose into politics: bit.ly/ADYpFL

Maybe we should ignore him; As his views are as relevant as Kermit the frog going to Casablanca and moaning at the Spanish for not giving back Ceuta to Morocco.

@Tommo3 - Thanks for the link, it's a good read.
Original post by AwsomePossum
i few thousand Para's and Marines surely won't impose on the Argies :wink:

Just air strikes etc.
Original post by MirandaPanda
He may be a tool, but the world at large (i.e. outside the United Kingdom) pretty much agrees with him on how this issue should be solved; heck even our key ally the United States hasn't sided with us on this issue :s-smilie:

The world at large doesn't agree with him. Sean Penn actually beleives Argentina has a greater claim over the islands than the UK. Only South America agrees with that. Everyone else just wants the issue to be resolved ie. for Argentina to stop whining like a bitch.
The fact that the United States has sided with us means nothing, it's hardly suprising, the Obama administration reeks of anglophobia.
Reply 863
Can we just warn Mrs Kirchner to wear a helmet and bomb the Casa Rosada?
Original post by pol pot noodles
The world at large doesn't agree with him. Sean Penn actually beleives Argentina has a greater claim over the islands than the UK. Only South America agrees with that. Everyone else just wants the issue to be resolved ie. for Argentina to stop whining like a bitch.

Do you have to be so churlish when debating (particularly when we both agree on the same thing, namely that the Falklands are British)? The bottom line is this; NO major power in the world supports the UK's claim to the Islands, whereas Argentina has the whole of South America on its side (a powerful ally to have in these emerging times with the likes of Brazil). Most other countries, including the UN as an organisation, want the two countries to negotiate on the issue, not b/c they feel "Argentina is whining like a bitch" (or at least I've not heard anything of the sort having been said by any relevant nation).

The fact that the United States has sided with us means nothing, it's hardly suprising, the Obama administration reeks of anglophobia.

Its not just Obama though, particularly when it comes to foreign policy, who makes such decisions and you should know this; i.e. he is advised by a ton of other people on such matters. Ergo his supposed "anglophobia" is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things as a calculated decision would have been made. Again, the bottom line is this thus, the US administration as a whole has a taken a position not to explicitly back the UK and asked for negotiations instead; and this being our largest and strongest ally in the world (an ally we have contributed resources and soliders to in two wars now and Libya). If even they haven't explicitly backed the UK, there is little chance anyone else will; it by no means "means nothing".
(edited 12 years ago)
Do you have to be so churlish when debating (particularly when we both agree on the same thing, namely that the Falklands are British)? The bottom line is this; NO major power in the world supports the UK's claim to the Islands, whereas Argentina has the whole of South America on its side (a powerful ally to have in these emerging times with the likes of Brazil).

The EU as an organisation supports the UK's claim, infact it's written into the EU constitution. France as an individual nation also supports the UK's claim. You've mistaken the fact that the UK doesn't kick up a big fuss, and do all this grandstanding with retarded hollywood actors, as a sign that the UK is alone. It's not.

Most other countries, including the UN as an organisation, want the two countries to negotiate on the issue, not b/c they feel "Argentina is whining like a bitch" (or at least I've not heard anything of the sort having been said by any relevant nation).

Wanting a resolution to the issue is not the same as supporting Argentina. I want a resolution to the issue. I imagine the Falkland Islanders want a resolution to the issue. We both want Argentina to stop whining like a bitch, which it will if there is a resolution to the issue.

Its not just Obama though, particularly when it comes to foreign policy, who makes such decisions and you should know this; i.e. he is advised by a ton of other people on such matters. Ergo his supposed "anglophobia" is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things as a calculated decision would have been made. Again, the bottom line is this thus, the US administration as a whole has a taken a position not to explicitly back the UK and asked for negotiations instead; and this being our largest and strongest ally in the world (an ally we have contributed resources and soliders to in two wars now and Libya). If even they haven't explicitly backed the UK, there is little chance anyone else will; it by no means "means nothing".

Funny, I distinctly remember typing the word 'Administration' after 'Obama'. Oh wait, I did. I'm not ignorant of American politics; I know the POTUS isn't a dictator who rules on whim.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 866
In a nutshell the Argentinian claim on the Falklands Islands is laughable. The Argentinians bring up the dispute as and when it suits them to do so.

As for Sean Penn. I had to leave my laptop and get a drink of water to make sure I wasn't dehydrated and hallucinating. The fact that an American actor feels he has any say in a matter of no concern to him or even his home country is almost insulting. In retaliation to this douchebag attack I suggest we get a **** British actor to begin a political tirade on everything the US Government does.
The EU as an organisation supports the UK's claim, infact it's written into the EU constitution. France as an individual nation also supports the UK's claim. You've mistaken the fact that the UK doesn't kick up a big fuss, and do all this grandstanding with retarded hollywood actors, as a sign that the UK is alone. It's not.

We have the EU, but none are vocal of key support, aside from France that is; and with China siding with Argentina recently, as well as South America (and the US choosing not to endorse our claim), Argentina pretty much has the major world (and future world) powers on its side (if not remaining neutral).

Its not about grandstanding; the UK genuinely does not have much support aside from the likes of the EU and some Commonwealth nations (the latter of which is to be expected).
Reply 868
We have the EU, but none are vocal of key support, aside from France that is; and with China siding with Argentina recently, as well as South America (and the US choosing not to endorse our claim), Argentina pretty much has the major world (and future world) powers on its side (if not remaining neutral).

Its not about grandstanding; the UK genuinely does not have much support aside from the likes of the EU and some Commonwealth nations (the latter of which is to be expected).

Why are people still talking about these islands? Just let the people there live how they wanna live, and be ruled by who they wanna be ruled by. The truth is the rest of the world doesn't care about these islands. Seriously, it's one of TSR's favorite topics right now...
Reply 869
Original post by DYKWIA
Why are people still talking about these islands? Just let the people there live how they wanna live, and be ruled by who they wanna be ruled by. The truth is the rest of the world doesn't care about these islands. Seriously, it's one of TSR's favorite topics right now...

Look at the Argentine or British news. You'd soon realise.
Tensions are unfortunately rising again because Mrs Kirtchner is playing on nationalist feelings to keep her ratings high. Many Argentines don't fall for her technique though. If you read the Argentine news you'll see at least a handful of stories every day. I was reading through one story the other day where the Falkland Islanders were waving British flags saying they were proud to be British and one of the Argentines said: "We know they're British, Brits living in Argentina. No one ever said the opposite." Made me just want to facepalm.
Reply 870

The UK seems to continue to alienate itself in this time of age. The united states should be aiding us rather than saying nothing. It should uses it influence to help us. I mean if the USA, Canada side with us, then one side will have to give?

So the UK does have support? Because before you were adamant that it didn't.
Again, the US not endorsing our claim is irrelevant. If the Bush administration had taken this line, then yes, that would be a blow, but it can be pretty much taken for granted that the Obama administration is going to go out of it's way to shaft Britain, whether it be by giving France NATO commands ahead of us, giving Russia nuclear secrets regarding Trident, or in this case refering to the Falklands as the 'Malvinas'.
And in what world is it not about grandstanding? Britain has been quitely doing the exact same thing that it's been doing for the last thirty years. It has only ever been able to count on the support of the EU, minus Spain, and the Anglosphere of the Commonwealth. Argentina decides to make some noise, get some pointless resolutions endorsed by the OAS, burn a few British flags, get a moronic imbecile to give his views on the matter, and suddenly people are acting like the equation has changed. It hasn't. Britain still controls the Falklands and the EU and Anglosphere still supports us. When France or Australia endorses the Argentine position, or actors who don't call for journalists who criticise Hugo Chavez to be imprisoned start siding with the Argentines, then I'll be worried. Until then, it's grandstanding, plain and simple.
Reply 872
Original post by Gales
Look at the Argentine or British news. You'd soon realise.
Tensions are unfortunately rising again because Mrs Kirtchner is playing on nationalist feelings to keep her ratings high. Many Argentines don't fall for her technique though. If you read the Argentine news you'll see at least a handful of stories every day. I was reading through one story the other day where the Falkland Islanders were waving British flags saying they were proud to be British and one of the Argentines said: "We know they're British, Brits living in Argentina. No one ever said the opposite." Made me just want to facepalm.

I don't like Imperialism from either country, and tbh when I first heard about the islands I thought it was just british imperialism again, but seriously - the people there were born there, lived there and I don't see why their wishes should be infringed upon by any country. It's clear they wanna remain british. They have as much right to live there as the Argentinians have to live in Argentina or Americans to live in the USA.
Original post by DYKWIA

It's almost as if TSR is a British website and the majority of it's users are British...
Reply 874
Original post by DYKWIA
I don't like Imperialism from either country, and tbh when I first heard about the islands I thought it was just british imperialism again, but seriously - the people there were born there, lived there and I don't see why their wishes should be infringed upon by any country. It's clear they wanna remain british. They have as much right to live there as the Argentinians have to live in Argentina or Americans to live in the USA.

Precisely - in all honesty, if Britain knew it was in the wrong, it wouldn't continuously dispute this. The issue is so tedious and overdone now. You know that I'm not the type of person who would support imperialism, and if it were imperialist, I wouldn't support the UK on the Falklands issue. In fact, it's the Argentines who have an imperialist mentality when it comes to the islands.

When you have public displays like this, how can you even dispute the sovereignty. :s-smilie:
Reply 875
Do you have to be so churlish when debating (particularly when we both agree on the same thing, namely that the Falklands are British)? The bottom line is this; NO major power in the world supports the UK's claim to the Islands, whereas Argentina has the whole of South America on its side (a powerful ally to have in these emerging times with the likes of Brazil). Most other countries, including the UN as an organisation, want the two countries to negotiate on the issue, not b/c they feel "Argentina is whining like a bitch" (or at least I've not heard anything of the sort having been said by any relevant nation).

The context is slightly disingenuous. Not many major powers have given their view on the debate. It doesn't surprise me at all with China's view, though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DYKWIA

The rest of the world may not care, but Britain and Argentina do. Just because it isn't at the top of the USA/UN agenda doesn't mean it isn't an important topic that can be discussed on these forums.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 877
It's almost as if TSR is a British website and the majority of it's users are British...

Why do british people care about them? The rights of those living there should be respected, but why does this get so much news? I found out the USA has a kinda half-state called puerto rico that I didn't even know existed until recently. I never see it in the news. Heck, I doubt I'd notice if Iowa disappeared suddenly.
Reply 878
Original post by DYKWIA
Why do british people care about them? The rights of those living there should be respected, but why does this get so much news? I found out the USA has a kinda half-state called puerto rico that I didn't even know existed until recently. I never see it in the news. Heck, I doubt I'd notice if Iowa disappeared suddenly.

Because Puerto Rico wasn't invaded by its foreign neighbour thirty years ago this April which resulted in an armed conflict. The war between the two countries may not be spoken about in the US, but it is in the UK. Now Argentina is piping up again, trying to undermine the democratic right of British citizens in the Islands. You may not have a problem with that, but we do.
Original post by DYKWIA

...aaaaaannndddd this is why Americans have a reputation for ignorance...

Edit: How can you have only just heard of Puerto Rico??? It's a stock point of reference in American media when commenting on social issues involving Hispanics...
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending