The Student Room Group

Increasing Tension Between the UK and Argentina over the Falkland Islands

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cid
Also Gurkhas are mixed in with regular forces now too, several units have Gurkha companys and squadrons. But they are not super soldiers, they are good and very adaptable soldiers that thrive in any environment, but they are still human.

Blasphemy!
Reply 921
Wasn't most of the fun in having Gurkhas there not their abilities, but that the Argentinian soldiers thought they were insane cannibals?
Original post by L i b
Wasn't most of the fun in having Gurkhas there not their abilities, but that the Argentinian soldiers thought they were insane cannibals?

It's like a zerg rush when we use them.
Original post by cid

Also Gurkhas are mixed in with regular forces now too, several units have Gurkha companys and squadrons. But they are not super soldiers, they are good and very adaptable soldiers that thrive in any environment, but they are still human.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13619825

he ran out of bullets, so he beat a taliban soldier with his tripod and threw landmines at them. Pretty sure that's a one man army, right there.
Original post by hungryaardvark

he ran out of bullets, so he beat a taliban soldier with his tripod and threw landmines at them. Pretty sure that's a one man army, right there.

Exactly.

My grandad fought alongside them in Burma and he said that one day they were firing some big artillery type thing and because it was all swampy the base plate was moving too much when it was fired. They lined up to stand on the base plate to keep it steady, every time it was fired it would break their legs.
Hardcore.
Reply 925
Argentina needs to get to f***, whiney pussies.
Original post by redferry
Exactly.

My grandad fought alongside them in Burma and he said that one day they were firing some big artillery type thing and because it was all swampy the base plate was moving too much when it was fired. They lined up to stand on the base plate to keep it steady, every time it was fired it would break their legs.
Hardcore.

Friend of mine had an uncle who was in argentina. he was watching this battle where a gurkha group was charging an argentinian bunker, rifles blazing. at about 20 feet from the door, they dropped their rifles, drew their kukris and attacked. despite the fact that the argentinians outnumbered them 3:2, AND despite the fact that there was a heavy machine gun inside, the gurkhas took the bunker with no friendly casualties.

the really brilliant thing was that this bloke related what he'd seen to his superior officer. the officer asked 'tell me, at what distance did they drop their guns?' . He replied that it was about 20 feet, to which the officer replied 'good, we've been trying to stop them doing that at 120 for a while'.

supersoldiers.

EDIT: just found this little gem. ABC news..
"One particular diary entry talks about how an Indian army doctor once went up to a British officer and told him that a wounded Gurkha would surely die unless he displayed some "will to live."

The officer, the story goes, stormed into the hospital room and barked the order: "Live!" The wounded Gurkha obeyed."
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hungryaardvark

He got the 2nd highest award, it makes you wonder what you have to do to get the top award.
Reply 928
If Sean Penn really believes what he says, then where is his case for the US keeping Alaska, Hawaii, Peurto Rico, Guam and Samoa?

The man is the definition of "tool".
Original post by cdvdtz
If Sean Penn really believes what he says, then where is his case for the US keeping Alaska, Hawaii, Peurto Rico, Guam and Samoa?

The man is the definition of "tool".

USA bought Alaska fair and square.
Reply 930
Original post by ras90

While I don't think Alaska was gained illegally, and I think the US has every right to maintain Alaska (my parents actually considered moving there at one point :confused:), I still think 'buying' a country is imperialistic. Besides, what would be to stop the british claiming they still own india because they 'purchased' it by building infrastructure?

mostly, I just hate Sean Penn - he continually goes on about how evil bush and the US are in general and tbh, he and Michael Moore should just go marry and live in iran together since they hate the USA so much.
Original post by DYKWIA
While I don't think Alaska was gained illegally, and I think the US has every right to maintain Alaska (my parents actually considered moving there at one point :confused:), I still think 'buying' a country is imperialistic. Besides, what would be to stop the british claiming they still own india because they 'purchased' it by building infrastructure?

mostly, I just hate Sean Penn - he continually goes on about how evil bush and the US are in general and tbh, he and Michael Moore should just go marry and live in iran together since they hate the USA so much.

Alaska wasn't a country though.
Reply 932
Original post by ras90
Alaska wasn't a country though.

I just said i think the US has every right to alaska, but 'buying' vast regions of territory is not really an excuse IMO.
And now the Argies have said they will purposely delay all ships with British flags or other flags of convenience on British ships. Once again they are showing just what a pathetic country they are. They are like children throwing a tantrum and the world needs to see what an immature little brat of a country Argentina is.
Seems as though Argentina is just grabbing any opportunity that arises to keep bashing Britain. In this case, a moronic American actor who knows nothing about and has no connection to the Falklands.
Reply 935
Did anyone else catch the major protests on the Falklands; at the school and the 4x4 parade. I would be interested to see Kirchner's response to that - self determination in action right there.
Original post by ras90

there were indigenous people living there who funnily enough were not consulted - think that's pretty much imperialism
Original post by DYKWIA
Are you talking about Sean Penn? Yeah, hollywood actors are known for their intelligence. He's an idiot. He's pro-gay marriage, he's anti-war, even suggesting that Bush should have been impeached. His head is in the clouds. Ignore him. He's not even that good an actor.

What's wrong with being pro gay marriage?
Original post by circling the drain
there were indigenous people living there who funnily enough were not consulted - think that's pretty much imperialism

Not to mention the holocaust of Native Americans which was disguised as the 'manifest destiny'. At least the British Empire didn't holocaust the **** out of the natives when it took over land.

Original post by thunder_chunky
What's wrong with being pro gay marriage?

Take no notice, he's a homophobe. He thinks it's weird to be gay despite the fact the womb naturally feminises fetuses randomly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 939
Argentina increasingly reminds me of Gollum.

"The Falklands are ours....my preciousssssssss"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending