The Student Room Group

Why English players are overrated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Tucking Fypo
I do agree with you...sort of. There's a premium on English players but I don't think it's because of their level of quality, it's just down to the nationality.

That's basically what I've been trying to say.

Original post by The Dynamic Uno
Best English player at the moment Scott Parker? Genuinely laughed out loud. Hard.

Off the top of my head, I genuinely can't think of a single English player who's playing better than him.
Original post by elijahbrooke
Go on then. And by the way, Mertesaker's won about 70 caps....

And he's been terrible at the back for Arsenal, therefore right now, not a good buy. What's your point? It has to be a bargain at the time, Villa buying Sol Campbell for £10m for example and him performing poorly couldn't be justified as a good deal by how many caps he has (73)...

Ok. You're serious. Let's go.

Taibi (5m) vs Hart (600,000).
Reyes (17m) vs. Bale (10m)
Aquilani (20m) vs. Parker (5.5m)
Santa Cruz (17m) vs. Darren Bent (16.5m in the same transfer window as Santa Cruz)
Mutu (15.8m) vs. Michael Owen (8m, in 2004, Mutu moved in 2003).
Veron (28.1m) vs. Lampard (11m)
Shevchenko (30m) vs Rooney (25.6m)
Torres (50m) vs. Anybody.
Chygrynskiy (20m) vs. Cahill (4.5m)

Difficult because up front has been a weak spot for English players. You also have Marlet (17m), Rebrov (11.5m) , Luque (11.5m). All I've done is find a cheap player and compare him with an expensive one. Not difficult is it. It's obvious why English players are a bit more expensive, and you haven't really proven anything.
Reply 62
Fair enough, quite a lot of those players were flops. Mind you;

Reyes got homesick (allegedly).
Bale isn't English.:rolleyes:
Aquilani and Santa Cruz were always injured and never played, while Parker was brought ridiculously cheap.
Mutu was on drugs. So he was sacked.
Shevchenko was an Avramovich signing apparently....
But yeah, Torres and Veron were/are useless.

Like I've said many times, I cannot think of a single nation that has more overrated players than England. Those are just foreign players, not a list of overrated players from one specific country.
(edited 12 years ago)
They're not overrated anymore by anyone with any common sence.

I think a major reason as to why most English players play in the PL is because its viewed as one of the top leagues in the world. Playing anywhere else (other than for the likes of Real/Barca) would be a downgrade, and could hamper their chances of getting into the National side. The PL also pays extortionate prices (only matched by the very best of the best European leagues), so either play for Fiorentina/Sevilla/Stuttgart on £10/15.000 a week, or Newcastle/Stoke/Tottenham on £25.000 a week. Take your pick.

The acadamy system is also a complete mess, thanks to the PL and the new rulings will only make that worse.

As most English players play in the PL, we have to factor in the fact that the PL has probably got the most varied amount of playing styles/formations in comparison to any other league. Total football, counter-attack, playing from the back, possession keeping, target man...all can be seen in the PL. Whereas if you watch Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga, Erdeviser, most teams play in practically the same way.

This is a major strength of the PL as a league, but when it comes to jelling a national team together, with all the players suited to completely differing styles/formations, its a major hinderance. Players from Arsenal all want Total football, Chelsea players play from the back...

Compared to the Bundesliga, where most play the same formation and are incredibly disciplined. Serie A, most of which play on the counter attack. La Liga, where emphasis is on possession/passing. Their acadamies have a similar ethos to each other, so can usually jell very quickly with players from other teams.

Rant over. I'm not getting involved in the Rooney debate.
Original post by elijahbrooke

Off the top of my head, I genuinely can't think of a single English player who's playing better than him.

I can't even be bothered. You're too far gone.
Reply 65
Original post by The Dynamic Uno
I can't even be bothered. You're too far gone.

?? Then who's the best English player atm?
Reply 66
Original post by Alpharius
They're not overrated anymore by anyone with any common sence.

I think a major reason as to why most English players play in the PL is because its viewed as one of the top leagues in the world. Playing anywhere else (other than for the likes of Real/Barca) would be a downgrade, and could hamper their chances of getting into the National side. The PL also pays extortionate prices (only matched by the very best of the best European leagues), so either play for Fiorentina/Sevilla/Stuttgart on £10/15.000 a week, or Newcastle/Stoke/Tottenham on £25.000 a week. Take your pick.

The acadamy system is also a complete mess, thanks to the PL and the new rulings will only make that worse.

As most English players play in the PL, we have to factor in the fact that the PL has probably got the most varied amount of playing styles/formations in comparison to any other league. Total football, counter-attack, playing from the back, possession keeping, target man...all can be seen in the PL. Whereas if you watch Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga, Erdeviser, most teams play in practically the same way.

This is a major strength of the PL as a league, but when it comes to jelling a national team together, with all the players suited to completely differing styles/formations, its a major hinderance. Players from Arsenal all want Total football, Chelsea players play from the back...

Compared to the Bundesliga, where most play the same formation and are incredibly disciplined. Serie A, most of which play on the counter attack. La Liga, where emphasis is on possession/passing. Their acadamies have a similar ethos to each other, so can usually jell very quickly with players from other teams.

Rant over. I'm not getting involved in the Rooney debate.

:borat:
Reply 67
Original post by little_wizard123
And he's been terrible at the back for Arsenal, therefore right now, not a good buy.

That couldn't be further from the truth.
Original post by Overmars
That couldn't be further from the truth.

Well, just going from what I've seen and what other people have said (a lot of people have thought he's had a poor start, I saw Paul Ince moaning about him on Football Focus today). A lot more solid when Vermaelen is playing.
Reply 69
Original post by little_wizard123
Well, just going from what I've seen and what other people have said (a lot of people have thought he's had a poor start, I saw Paul Ince moaning about him on Football Focus today). A lot more solid when Vermaelen is playing.

Granted, he hasn't played as well as he could, but you don't get 79 caps for Germany if you're a poor player. If you're a football manager and have this shortlist:

1) Cahill, 17M for a player with a year left on contract, just starting to force his way into the England side at 26.

2) Jagielka, £13M for a player whose approaching 30, and also only has a handful of England caps.

3) Mertesaker, £8M for a player who's been a regular in the German national side since 2004, has played in World Cups and is still only 26.

Option 3 looks a right steal on paper.
Reply 70
Original post by Beckford MMCMXCIX
If a world class player is someone who is one of the best 2 or 3 players in his position in the world then Rooney is not world class.

Who amoungst these are not world class based on the criteria above?

Iniesta
David Silva
Wesley Sneijder
Kaka
Ozel
Fábregas

Matt Le tissier was a talented guy, such a shame England never made use of him. I know Rooney is an easy target but if he is not worldclass then I don't know who is in the England team.
Reply 71
Rooney deserves his credit he is absolutelt out of this world
THE MOST unique striker in the world
He can play so deep yet still score and assist goals
there is no player in the world that can bring to a team what rooney does

of course he doesnt get much recognition here because most rival teams of man utd hate him but around the world from neutral point of views he is seen as one of the top 5 players in the world
Reply 72
english players are worth more because its easier for them to gel into other english clubs because of their style of play and there is no language and communication barriers

if an english player got sold to another club in europe it would be no where near as much

they just have more value here
Original post by Dutchman81
I'm sure Wenger said that Rooney was the best young talent he had seen in all the years he has been in England.

The prof does have a sense of humour you know.
Reply 74
Original post by MTR_10

Original post by MTR_10
Scott Parker (£6m) or Juan Sebastian Veron (£28m)?
The fact that English teams are consistently competing for the Champions League trophy; the fact that English teams can attract some of the best European talent and the fact that the English league is one of the best in the world lead to a sense of delusion about the England national team.

ENGLISH teams have foreign players...
Reply 75
Original post by Jim-Jam

Original post by Jim-Jam
Here we go. Add another to the 'I'm English but for some reason HATE English players, the league, national team'.

For a start, Messi and Rooney are the same when it comes to national teams. Neither has done **** all in big tournaments/matches! FACT.

What you're using there is what the current manager picks. Would you have classed Owen of 6, 7 years ago as world class? Probably not. Would you have classed ANY past English players as class? And I don't understand this 'Overrated' thing anyway, of course they're going to be bigged up but it's always in crap such as the Sun anyway, so why take it as fact that everybody believes we have the best players in the world?

English players don't move abroad because there are hardly any English players. People like you who are obsessed with foreign players as they're 'new' and 'exciting'. Therefore there's none of our's good enough to move abroad.

Yeah neg it, you're all tapped, don't like it, move to Spain and support them. Gloryhunters. Same thing.

So you have to move to the country that you support IN FOOTBALL? Come on, that seems a bit childish.
Reply 76
Yeah they are overrated and there are people that thinks that England have a world class player.
Why they are overrated?
Thats because they are England, they will always be overrated even if Germany and other countries beat them 4 - 0
Original post by Marco Ben
Rooney deserves his credit he is absolutelt out of this world
THE MOST unique striker in the world
He can play so deep yet still score and assist goals
there is no player in the world that can bring to a team what rooney does

of course he doesnt get much recognition here because most rival teams of man utd hate him but around the world from neutral point of views he is seen as one of the top 5 players in the world

Its not like Messi or Van Persie play that role who have much more goals to game ratio currently and are widely recognised as better than Rooney.
Reply 78
Original post by internet tough guy
The prof does have a sense of humour you know.

Come on, thats harsh! Mind you he does like to give Łukasz Fabiański a game now and again. :colone:
Reply 79
Original post by JagSan
So you have to move to the country that you support IN FOOTBALL? Come on, that seems a bit childish.

Well why would you support a country that you don't come from? Why? It's not real support.

Quick Reply

Latest