The Student Room Group

Why English players are overrated

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Its not like Messi or Van Persie play that role who have much more goals to game ratio currently and are widely recognised as better than Rooney.

van persie is not better than rooney
he scores more goals but rooney is WAY more important to any team

rooney is an all round player and at times in matches u even see him at a right back position then the next hes midfield then striker again
his long balls and vision is incredible, let alone his speed, strength, determination, free kick and penalty taking and so many other attirubutes

van persie has his goal scoring, free kicks, and agility and a few others but nothig on rooney

just a few seconds of why hes the most unique striker in the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khlpOepEKDw

and messi is on another class please do not compare anybody to him there is no point
Reply 81
Original post by Jim-Jam

Original post by Jim-Jam
Well why would you support a country that you don't come from? Why? It's not real support.

Because you like the team? The players? The manager? The kit? The COUNTRY? It can be real support, it's only football.
Reply 82
Original post by Jim-Jam
Well why would you support a country that you don't come from? Why? It's not real support.

I know, I hate all these anti-England gloryhunters who support Spain and Germany.

These guys are gloryhunters at club level so they are not used to not winning all the time at international level.

So they then deny any attachment to the England team.

Club and country.

Villa and England :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by elijahbrooke
I think English players are the most overrated players in the world. Why? Firstly, prices.

Andy Carroll (who always been useless, but credit Newcastle, they somehow got £35M)or Sergio Aguero (£39M), Villa (£35ish). Who would you rather have in your team?

Lescott (£23M) or Vermaelen (£10M) and Mertesaker (£8-10M)? How is Gary Cahill worth £17M with one year left on contract?? How is Gareth Barry playing for England, and how is Downing worth £20M when he's done sweet FA during his career? Milner (27M) or Van der Vaart (8M)? Even David Bentley (credit to spurs, they do piss away money sometimes) at £20M.

Also, a lack of world class players. People say Rooney is, please, DPMO. What has Rooney actually done when compared to a Messi, or a Ronaldo? During the Champions League Final buildup last year, the papers were rating Messi as 10, while Rooney (who hadn't scored for about a year or summat) was a 9. As good as Xavi. Are you high? At the moment, there are NO world class English players. None. Messi and Ronaldo, Xavi and Iniesta change games consistently. Does Rooney? Fair enough, he's good. But definitely not world class. Not even the best English player atm (that's Parker).

Then we come onto the England team. The most overrated national side in the world. What other "big nation" would play Barry? Downing? Milner? Walcott? Lennon? Average players. No other forwards to support Rooney, (Zamora? Is stuff that bad?) But we were begging Manuel Almunia to play in goal?? Greece have won more trophies than England in the last 40 years. And in major competitons, massive hype, like at the World Cup,how Capello's the best England manager ever, then they go out, and he's suddenly useless. Now, somehow pundits are saying that foreign players are ruining the game, but why waste 50M on 2 average English players when you could rebuild a team with that? When you're seeing players like Hernandez and Andre Santos, the West Brom Nigerian guy, internationals, coming in for less than 10M, how much would they be worth if they were English? Just think. Who was the last England international who moved to any club for less than 10M? Who was the last big English player to move abroad? Beckham and Owen. European clubs now know that English players are overpaid, overpriced and overrated.

So that's my rant. Do you agree?

I couldn't have summed this up any better than you have, i absolutely agree with almost everything you have stated. Players, the likes of Rooney are highly over rated, the England team are nothing short of rubbish (sadly), we never win any cups, but yet we're over rated, how does that work?
Reply 84
Original post by JagSan
Because you like the team? The players? The manager? The kit? The COUNTRY? It can be real support, it's only football.

That's garbage.

I'm English, I'm proud to support England. If I didn't live hundreds of miles away I'd be at Wembley and travel the World to support them!

Where has this patriotism gone?!

Completely agree TRS-T. It's an increasing thing too. Or just anti England fans who are obsessed with their foreign players in their English teams so they just don't bother. :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2074231/Englands-future-international-talent-running-dry.html?ITO=1490

Not good that. Only 38% of players starting this weekend were English! You wouldn't find this in any other top nation that people bang on about, so maybe it is why England aren't so great?!
Reply 85
Original post by Jim-Jam
That's garbage.

I'm English, I'm proud to support England. If I didn't live hundreds of miles away I'd be at Wembley and travel the World to support them!

Where has this patriotism gone?!

Completely agree TRS-T. It's an increasing thing too. Or just anti England fans who are obsessed with their foreign players in their English teams so they just don't bother. :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2074231/Englands-future-international-talent-running-dry.html?ITO=1490

Not good that. Only 38% of players starting this weekend were English! You wouldn't find this in any other top nation that people bang on about, so maybe it is why England aren't so great?!

NOT EVERYONE IS PATRIOTIC. And it's football, people often like a team for THE TEAM, and not always 'cos of the country they happened to be born in.

And not everyone supports Spain and Germany. And if they did, not all of them will be gloryhunters.

And maybe only 38% of English players were played is 'cos the English players aren't as good! In the Premier League(and general club football), it's a business. You buy and play players 'cos of their ability, not 'cos of their nationality! And maybe it just so happens to be that the English players don't have the best ability.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by JagSan
NOT EVERYONE IS PATRIOTIC. And it's football, people often like a team for THE TEAM, and not always 'cos of the country they happened to be born in.

And not everyone supports Spain and Germany. And if they did, not all of them will be gloryhunters.

And maybe only 38% of English players were played is 'cos the English players aren't as good! In the Premier League(and general club football), it's a business. You buy and play players 'cos of their ability, not 'cos of their nationality! And maybe it just so happens to be that the English players don't have the best ability.

So you support a club judged on the players they have then do you?

They're not as good because people don't care or want to bother. We should seek to make our own players improve etc and it'd be an even better league.
Reply 87
Original post by Jim-Jam

Original post by Jim-Jam
So you support a club judged on the players they have then do you?

They're not as good because people don't care or want to bother. We should seek to make our own players improve etc and it'd be an even better league.

I was talking about international football. If you like a country, you can support it. If you like the English/French/Ghanian players, and that's why you support them, that's fine. You don't have to support a country 'cos you were born there, and it's 'your' country.

And maybe they're not good 'cos people don't care, but then maybe people don't care 'cos they're not good. Vicious cycle?
Reply 88
Original post by JagSan

And maybe they're not good 'cos people don't care, but then maybe people don't care 'cos they're not good. Vicious cycle?

So what? We give up? Accept defeat? Try to get rid of all Englishmen in the game? Is that what Spain did when they were gash? We got close, we'll try again, no?
Reply 89
Original post by Jim-Jam

Original post by Jim-Jam
So what? We give up? Accept defeat? Try to get rid of all Englishmen in the game? Is that what Spain did when they were gash? We got close, we'll try again, no?

I never said that, you're putting words in my mouth.
Some English players are overrated, paying 35 million for Andy Carroll was an absolute joke.

But some players such as Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, A.Cole are not overrated, they just don't perform as well for their country as they do for their club.
Reply 91
Original post by JagSan
I was talking about international football. If you like a country, you can support it. If you like the English/French/Ghanian players, and that's why you support them, that's fine. You don't have to support a country 'cos you were born there, and it's 'your' country.

That's just gloryhunting.

You dont hear about people who disown England and support San Marino or Bukino Faso or Oman.

It's always Spain or Holland or Brazil.

If you're from England, support England.

Anything else is just wrong.
Original post by Marco Ben

rooney is an all round player and at times in matches u even see him at a right back position then the next hes midfield then striker again
his long balls and vision is incredible, let alone his speed, strength, determination, free kick and penalty taking and so many other attirubutes

van persie has his goal scoring, free kicks, and agility and a few others but nothig on rooney

and messi is on another class please do not compare anybody to him there is no point

Well you obviously don't watch football as you completely missed the point. It is clear you are a Man utd supporter or want a bit of Rooney in you, whatever. If you actually watched Arsenal or Barcelona as you clearly don't, you will see how integral both players are to their respected team. Everything you said about Rooney is reflective in both Messi and Van Persie.

I can compare Messi to whoever I want to. He is the best player in the world and Van Persie is the only player in the premier league that comes close to him in the premier league. As both are the best strikers in their respected league, why can't I draw comparisons to render your argument useless?
Reply 93
Original post by TRS-T

Original post by TRS-T
That's just gloryhunting.

You dont hear about people who disown England and support San Marino or Bukino Faso or Oman.

It's always Spain or Holland or Brazil.

If you're from England, support England.

Anything else is just wrong.

No it isn't wrong at all, you make it sound like it's some sort of crime. Like I've said before, IT'S ONLY A SPORT!

And not everyone who supports those teams are glory-supporters. I've been a fan of Holland since I can remember, think I started around the late 90s. My friend is a fan of France, even through their horrible spell in the 2010 World Cup. Casual fans may be glory-hunters, but they're completely different to more passionate fans.
Reply 94
Well you obviously don't watch football as you completely missed the point. It is clear you are a Man utd supporter or want a bit of Rooney in you, whatever. If you actually watched Arsenal or Barcelona as you clearly don't, you will see how integral both players are to their respected team. Everything you said about Rooney is reflective in both Messi and Van Persie.

I can compare Messi to whoever I want to. He is the best player in the world and Van Persie is the only player in the premier league that comes close to him in the premier league. As both are the best strikers in their respected league, why can't I draw comparisons to render your argument useless?

Im a fan of football not man utd
LOL i watch barcelona EVERY weekend and I am a huge admirer of their style of play which Cruyff invented. It is NOT the same style of play Arsenal play with so please do not go into topics you dont know about. There are also many players in the premier league better than Van Persie. ROONEY, Silva, Y.Toure and some others but Van Persie is the best striker in the league I cant take that from him.

The fact that that you said that Rooney's attributes are in Van Persie and Messi just prove you're a typical Match of the Day don that never watches the full games and you have only ever seen Messi on youtube and maybe a semi final champions league night on ITV.

How can you say " can compare Messi to whoever I want to. He is the best player in the world" whats the point of comparing him then? if hes always going to win...idiot...
Im a fan of football not man utd
LOL i watch barcelona EVERY weekend and I am a huge admirer of their style of play which Cruyff invented. It is NOT the same style of play Arsenal play with so please do not go into topics you dont know about. There are also many players in the premier league better than Van Persie. ROONEY, Silva, Y.Toure and some others but Van Persie is the best striker in the league I cant take that from him.

The fact that that you said that Rooney's attributes are in Van Persie and Messi just prove you're a typical Match of the Day don that never watches the full games and you have only ever seen Messi on youtube and maybe a semi final champions league night on ITV.

How can you say " can compare Messi to whoever I want to. He is the best player in the world" whats the point of comparing him then? if hes always going to win...idiot...

I never said Arsenal played the same football as them. You should look up the straw man fallacy or possibly the red herring fallacy. It is obvious you have realised your wrong in what you have said and now are changing the subject of the argument to try and prove you are right.

I am no fool and do not watch videos on youtube to judge players. If that was the case, you could make everyone look like Messi. It is obvious you dont watch Arsenal or Barcelona play as you missed out that both Van Persie and Messi play a CF role and hence are always in around the midfield or even near the defense to pick up the ball and start an attack.

I am sorry to say but Rooney is an overrated player. He is a very good player but he is not great.
Reply 96
I never said Arsenal played the same football as them. You should look up the straw man fallacy or possibly the red herring fallacy. It is obvious you have realised your wrong in what you have said and now are changing the subject of the argument to try and prove you are right.

I am no fool and do not watch videos on youtube to judge players. If that was the case, you could make everyone look like Messi. It is obvious you dont watch Arsenal or Barcelona play as you missed out that both Van Persie and Messi play a CF role and hence are always in around the midfield or even near the defense to pick up the ball and start an attack.

I am sorry to say but Rooney is an overrated player. He is a very good player but he is not great.

YOU look up red herring fallacy because i never said u said that arsenal play like barcelona did i? it was simply a statement i made i didnt quote u when i said it so stop assuming things and double check on red herring fallacy mate.
rooney IS the most complete player in the premier league and one of the best in the world and most pundits agree on this. Youre an anti man utd fan which doesnt allow u to see and acknowledge this.
and no van persie is never around the defence to pick up the ball and messi rarely is
but rooney always in even in the champions league final vs chelsea
just look at the back he switched the play and put it perfectly for ronaldo to cross it and this was years ago
his vision and accuracy is incredible
now tell me when van persie has ever done that or messi
Dont get me wrong i think messi is better than rooney by far in ability but this is mainly targetted at van persie
England are and always have been a WASTE OF SPACE in international tournaments. I don't know who to resent more, the players or most of their big-headed **** fans?

This is the stupidest post I have ever seen.
Reply 99
Rooney deserves his credit he is absolutelt out of this world
THE MOST unique striker in the world
He can play so deep yet still score and assist goals
there is no player in the world that can bring to a team what rooney does

of course he doesnt get much recognition here because most rival teams of man utd hate him but around the world from neutral point of views he is seen as one of the top 5 players in the world

Im neutral (Celtic supporter) and i dont see him as one of the top 10 players in the world

Quick Reply

Latest