Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

chonic fatigue syndrome

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My first thought is underactive thyroid- big symptoms are tiredness, poor concentration, and feeling colder than you should. Not everyone experiences weight gain that's difficult to shift- the key symptom people associate with it. Certainly I didn't and still don't- I'm actually underweight. But all of my blood tests still show it. While I was being diagnosed and before it, I was falling asleep in every single lecture I had, no matter how interesting it was or how much sleep I had gotten the night before. Even when I was awake I couldn't process what the lecturer was saying. Also, very cold and tired- however, these symptoms aren't exclusive to underative thyroid.

Anyway as mentioned, far too vague to speculate. Much more likely to be a deficiency or a thyroid issue than CFS. Get blood tests done- checking for defiencies, thyroid, liver, kidney etc. etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    sorry slightly off topic
    Is this also known as ME?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Last year I was talking to someone about CFS and in jest (not knowing how serious it can be) I refered to it as 'Chronic Man Up Syndrome'.

Chuckling to myself, he then told me that his brother had CFS, got kicked out of school and has barely left the house in the last 3 years...

I am such a tit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire7714)
    sorry slightly off topic
    Yes.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    The word 'ME' is gibberish.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    I get a lot of brain fog too, but I don't know if that's the illness or I just hate doing my work :p:
    Or the pain medication.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Or the pain medication.
    I've had the brain fog a lot longer than I've taken medication =]
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claire7714)
    sorry slightly off topic
    when the expansion of ME is gibberish as Digitalis points out , promoting the ME name is something done by the 'truthers' who insist there is is no somatic or psychological component to the syndrome.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the term ME is promoted because chronic fatigue doesn't really do it justice. 'Oh sure I'm exhausted all the time too, what's all the fuss for?' etc.

I highly doubt you have CFS, as a young carer to a parent with the disorder and suffers from another rare chronic illness, if I'm honest your symptoms sound like they're from something else. CFS is horrible, one day my mum can be with manageable pain and can get on with her daily routine, the next any position causes her immense pain and even sleeping isn't possible. She takes very strong pain killers and sometimes they don't even make any difference to her suffering.

Of course go get checked by your GP, although from my parent's experience getting a diagnosis is a very lengthy process and can cause a lot of heart ache (like being sacked from a career she loved). IMO you wouldn't be going to college? if you had CFS. Also, many cases I believe are triggered from serious illnesses I.e. Septicemia.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Of course go get checked by your GP, although from my parent's experience getting a diagnosis is a very lengthy process and can cause a lot of heart ache (like being sacked from a career she loved). IMO you wouldn't be going to college? if you had CFS. Also, many cases I believe are triggered from serious illnesses I.e. Septicemia.
    She could be going to college. I still go, even though it's only part time at the minute, and my symptoms can get very bad! Not everyone experiences it like they have the worst symptoms all of the time, it can fluctuate. Also, sometimes cases just come up on their own without a trigger, although for me I developed mine after I had swine flu. But it isn't only developed after serious illnesses!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishrosedarlingg)
    I'm not actually, I just know more about CFS than anything else which has been mentioned, I am just eager to find a diagnosis so I can change how I feel at the moment
    Getting a diagnosis of CFS won't change anything- in reality there are very little treatment for it. It's just a fancy way of saying the patient is exhausted all the time, and that all other diagnosis have been excluded.

As everyone has said, go the doctor. They will start the process of ruling out other common diseases/deficiencies that cause your symptoms.

You can try and help yourself by being as healthy as possible. Eat well- have healthy snacks every 3-4 hours, try not to use caffeine/sugar to perk yourself up, exercise every day (even if it's just a brisk walk), do things you enjoy.........
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishrosedarlingg)
    I have the worst possible memory, I mess up at work all the time, get constantly accused of being blonde and 'ditzy' and can barely remember what I've eaten for tea the night before

My muscles constantly ache, especially if I have been stood up most of the day, and I am always tired. I've started having a really weird body clock where I wake up at 7 every morning no matter how tired I am. Also, even if I have had lots of sleep, in some lessons my eyes start to droop as if I am going to fall asleep... I've noticed a few teachers look at me funny

Is this a sign of chronic fatigue syndrome?
    Its a sign that you are a teenager.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alanine)
    Getting a diagnosis of CFS won't change anything- in reality there are very little treatment for it. It's just a fancy way of saying the patient is exhausted all the time, and that all other diagnosis have been excluded.

As everyone has said, go the doctor. They will start the process of ruling out other common diseases/deficiencies that cause your symptoms.

You can try and help yourself by being as healthy as possible. Eat well- have healthy snacks every 3-4 hours, try not to use caffeine/sugar to perk yourself up, exercise every day (even if it's just a brisk walk), do things you enjoy.........
    Good feedback, I crashed out after work had gotten too much. I have felt tired daily, regardless of any sleep I do get, I mean you have gotten know from my other posts that I have tried pretty much everything. Today and yesterday started getting nosebleeds to boost my aligments of complaints, not fair!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    It sounds to me like fibramyalga (I think thats how its spelt) all the symptoms you mention are the same as my cousins, and thats what she has.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromy...roduction.aspx
    hope that link helps
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get 'sam-e' tablets which you can buy online, they help with the tiredness, brain function and muscle aches
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondyx)
    You can get 'sam-e' tablets which you can buy online, they help with the tiredness, brain function and muscle aches
    I wouldn't recommend self prescribing any pills from over the internet, you have absolutely no idea of the contents of the pills. Please, go see your GP rather than buying online.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maes Seren)
    I wouldn't recommend self prescribing any pills from over the internet, you have absolutely no idea of the contents of the pills. Please, go see your GP rather than buying online.
    You don't need a presciption for them, they are over the counter.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 20, 2011
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.