The Student Room Group

Old Lady On Bus - I Didn't Give Up My Seat

Scroll to see replies

wow she sounds so arrogant, i probably would have moved but given her evils LOL.
Reply 41
Original post by Kiss
Haha! Good for her! What did the old woman do after?

Not sure! She obeyed the woman of course, as she was probably deemed "older, therefore respectable", then I got served and left!
Old people warrant unconditional respect. But I am extremely sceptical as to why pregnant women always demand their various concessions, considering they made a lifestyle choice.
well, by the sounds of it, there were plenty of other seats on the bus! does it really bother you that much if an elderly person, who deserves some degree of respect, wants to sit there? Why be so awkward and stubborn? Is it really worth irritating people for your own comfort?
I'm not trying to criticise, I'm just trying to say that the situation could have been handeled better. This woman sounds very arrogant, but was it worth being rude back?
Original post by Kiss
Yesterday I was sitting on the bottom deck - quite quiet, not very busy - and I was asked by an old lady if I she could have my seat. I wasn't sitting next to anyone, I was next to the window and I was about 2 rows away from the elderly designated spot.
I asked her why and she told me because 'she liked the window seat' - :s-smilie: :s-smilie: There was at least 6 empty spaces which she could have gone to and 2 of those had a window view. And when I refused to give up my seat she started prattling on about how she's earned more right to a seat than I have etc. She eventually shuffled over to one of the other window seats, but she started moaning about me when I was within earshot.

I'm a little stunned at how ungreatful she was and her reasoning for wanting a window seat is just ridiculous. She was just plain rude.

Another incident which annoyed me was when I had been waiting for a bus for about 10 minutes and a group of elderly people arrived about 3 minutes before the bus arrived - they noticed I had been waiting first, but when the bus appeared they all moved forward infront of me and got on first, without even asking me if they could get on first.

It's that deserving/expectant attitude that some old people have which really annoys me a lot. I'd happily give up my place in line or my seat if I was asked nicely and if they gave me a decent reasoning for doing so. But it's that 'we're old, we deserve everything' attitude which annoys me so much.

Have you ever had a similar experience/known of something similar??

This sort of situation I've known occur a lot. I do agree that we should respect our elders, and of course if it had been in another situation, its manners to give up your seat. It seems here however, that this woman was just trying to assert her authority over you. This happens with a lot of the elderly I'm afraid. They think all of us under 50, are ungrateful, selfish, chavs etc etc, when that's hardly the case. She was merely trying to prove a point, and to be honest you were right to act the way you did.

A somewhat similar situation I was on an extremely crowded train. Most seats were booked, but there was a fair few that were available. The rest of us just had to stand. There was so many of us standing that there was a lot of pushing and shoving and it really wasn't comfortable. I saw from the other end of the compartment there was a heavily pregnant woman being knocked about, and did anyone offer her a seat? Of course not! No one was physically handicapped from what I could see, and the majority sitting were easily over 50. Now I known we are selfish and many of those had payed for a pre-booked seat, yet I know there were others who weren't...why couldn't they have given up their seat?!? Instead of any sympathy from these people, this poor girl was getting tutted because she was younger mother!!! Outrageous...
Reply 45
Can't stand arrogant old coffin dodgers, I don't give a **** how much longer they've been here than I have, that doesn't entitle them to be a prick to me. If they want my respect they earn it, simple as that. Of course if there's no seats left at all and they obviously need it I'll give it up gladly, but not if there's other seats around and they want my seat just because.
One time I had an old woman come up to me and my friends and say 'which one of you is going to give up your seat' I would have done this anyway, but the attitude made me feel a bit murderous. Some times old people should just hurry up and die.
The worst I had was an old man glaring at me - presumably for not giving him my seat or whatever - and I would have gladly done so but I was at the widow with two girls on the seat beside me so I couldn't move without disrupting them! He just kept raising his eyebrows at me. And as far as I was aware there was nothing offensive about my hair or school uniform or glasses.
Reply 48
Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak
This sort of situation I've known occur a lot. I do agree that we should respect our elders, and of course if it had been in another situation, its manners to give up your seat. It seems here however, that this woman was just trying to assert her authority over you. This happens with a lot of the elderly I'm afraid. They think all of us under 50, are ungrateful, selfish, chavs etc etc, when that's hardly the case. She was merely trying to prove a point, and to be honest you were right to act the way you did.

A somewhat similar situation I was on an extremely crowded train. Most seats were booked, but there was a fair few that were available. The rest of us just had to stand. There was so many of us standing that there was a lot of pushing and shoving and it really wasn't comfortable. I saw from the other end of the compartment there was a heavily pregnant woman being knocked about, and did anyone offer her a seat? Of course not! No one was physically handicapped from what I could see, and the majority sitting were easily over 50. Now I known we are selfish and many of those had payed for a pre-booked seat, yet I know there were others who weren't...why couldn't they have given up their seat?!? Instead of any sympathy from these people, this poor girl was getting tutted because she was younger mother!!! Outrageous...

Tutted? They actually tutted at her?
Reply 49
Original post by Kiss

That's old people for you, their way or you're the devil.
Reply 50
You did the right thing, it was rude of her to expect you to move if there were other seats. She can't just expect respect like that, and neither can other old people.

Supermarkets are the worst, they can and will reach through you to get to that cottage cheese.
Original post by k9markiii
Free bus passes annoy me. Why should students have to pay over £200 for a bus pass when everyone over 60 gets one for free.

Largely because it promotes mobility amongst a group of people who notoriously find it hard, plus it's a bit of a back-door subsidy to many bus routes.

While I would like to see it means-tested, I hardly see why university students need them. More and more students are becoming just as expecting of money as people on here are complaining about the elderly for being. "Where's my free bus pass, where's my discount, why should I have to pay for my education" etc. etc.
Reply 52
I was on a bus and there was this old women who told me to turn my ipod down. She was about 4 rows in front on the opposite side, and she could probably only just about hear it. I only had standard in-ear headphones as well. She got out of her seat, and started tapping me on the arm, didn't she :rolleyes:. I told her to turn her hearing aid down, then told her to f-off. Then I put the loudest track on, sat back, relaxed and enjoyed the other wise pleasant bus ride home :redface:.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by RTAN451
One time I had an old woman come up to me and my friends and say 'which one of you is going to give up your seat' I would have done this anyway, but the attitude made me feel a bit murderous. Some times old people should just hurry up and die.

Wasn't expecting that last bit. Nice touch, son :yep:
Original post by Hazular
...Your legs work fine, I just saw you give Usain Bolt a run for his money, go sit in the empty spaces behind me.

LOL'd :biggrin:
Original post by Kiss
Another incident which annoyed me was when I had been waiting for a bus for about 10 minutes and a group of elderly people arrived about 3 minutes before the bus arrived - they noticed I had been waiting first, but when the bus appeared they all moved forward infront of me and got on first, without even asking me if they could get on first.

This is a genuine question; is there some kind of etiquette I wasn't aware of that states the order people should get on the bus is dictated by who arrived at the bus stop first? Never come across this in my life, it's always just whoever's closest to the door gets that on first.
I was on a bus after having a shoulder operation and some fat old crone tapped me on it to get me to move, even though I wasn't in a priority seat and there were others free. I was furious - I was in a sling and had a huge dressing on my shoulder which you couldn't have missed. Some people are just ridiculous.
Original post by Kiss

A man I'd say in his late fifties did. He made no secret that he was disgusted by such a young person having a child.
Original post by burning-ape
This is a genuine question; is there some kind of etiquette I wasn't aware of that states the order people should get on the bus is dictated by who arrived at the bus stop first? Never come across this in my life, it's always just whoever's closest to the door gets that on first.

Well yes... It's called a queue...

No doubt it seemed random to you, but the rest of the people there were secretly fuming that you violated the unwritten and unspoken rule of waiting for the bus!
Reply 59
Original post by Hazular
I had something like this happen once. I was on a packed bus (it's a uni city, all the buses are packed) and I saw this reasonably fit, healthy pensioner run for the bus. Yeah, run. At full pelt with her bags.
I, too, was probably 2-3 rows back from the 'pensioner seats' but they were already full of pensioners. So this woman gets on the bus, flashes her bus pass and comes and glares at me expectantly because I'm the youngest person near her precious pensioner seat. I'm sorry love, but you are fitter than I am, I certainly could not run at that speed so don't give me that look because I'm going to be slightly closer to the front of the bus.
Your legs work fine, I just saw you give Usain Bolt a run for his money, go sit in the empty spaces behind me.

It well annoyed me. -.-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending