Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Taiwanese Society!

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone!

Noticed there wasn't a taiwanese society on TSR so I have decided to start one

I've just started studying dentistry at University of Dundee, nice to meet u all!

Where and what do you study?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some will say there is already a Chinese society.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I)
    Some will say there is already a Chinese society.
    Some will say you don't know the history of China and Taiwan.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    I study Law at the University of Birmingham.
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Im not Taiwanese, but...
    Welcome! xD :woo:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Some will say you don't know the history of China and Taiwan.
    Some would say I know it better than you.

I used to live in Taiwan?

Have you?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I)
    Some would say I know it better than you.

I used to live in Taiwan?

Have you?
    Yes.

Why are you equating Taiwan to China?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Why are you equating Taiwan to China?
    Because if there is a taiwanese society, there should be surrey society, essex society etc.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I)
    Because if there is a taiwanese society, there should be surrey society, essex society etc.
    Taiwan and China are two different countries.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Taiwan and China are two different countries.
    I was waiting for you to bite.

Taiwan is not recognised as a country by the U.N and the vast majority of other nations and trading blocks.

You study law, yet come out with that statement, shocking.

Ask the UK, US, Chinese, Russian, French (you see where im going with this) governments if they regard Taiwan as a country, they will say no (as they don't).

What I have stated are facts. No matter if you THINK it shoiuld be classed as a country, the truth is, according to the international community, it is not a country.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.I)
    I was waiting for you to bite.

Taiwan is not recognised as a country by the U.N and the vast majority of other nations and trading blocks.

You study law, yet come out with that statement, shocking.

Ask the UK, US, Chinese, Russian, French (you see where im going with this) governments if they regard Taiwan as a country, they will say no (as they don't).

What I have stated are facts. No matter if you THINK it shoiuld be classed as a country, the truth is, according to the international community, it is not a country.
    A flag, national anthem, trade policies, government, previous US support that only switched to China because of increased development etc all state otherwise.

Trade blocks aren't because of non-recognition of Taiwan as a country, but as appeasement to China.

Tell 'em why you foamin' breh, tell 'em.

You fell for the mousetrap.

And I also don't care that much for China nor Taiwan. You mad bro?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A flag, national anthem, trade policies, government, previous US support that only switched to China because of increased development etc all state otherwise.

Trade blocks aren't because of non-recognition of Taiwan as a country, but as appeasement to China.

Tell 'em why you foamin' breh, tell 'em.

You fell for the mousetrap.

And I also don't care that much for China nor Taiwan. You mad bro?
    But that doesnt make it a country.

You just said reasons why they could want to be classed as a country.

I know its due to appeasement of China, but the fact still remains, it is not a country.

I dont even care that much either (although im pro china, i dont really care much about this issue).

Just wanted an arguement.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angie715)
    Hello Everyone!

Noticed there wasn't a taiwanese society on TSR so I have decided to start one

I've just started studying dentistry at University of Dundee, nice to meet u all!

Where and what do you study?
    chap, it is really controversial to start a thread like this. It is bound to cause major arguments, which was clearly by the comments made. I am a mainland chinese, but i respect your identity, which as u suggest is taiwanese. There shouldnt be that much issues relating whether or not taiwan is part of china. I reckon u people will gain more benefit having a friendly relationship with china. But once again i respect ur personal choice
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This group was just so that people from taiwan can have a place to meet and make friends, much like that of a Hong Kong social group or american social group...

Taiwan has its own government and currency and is independent from China in all aspects except its name in the books. As a taiwanese I do see ourselves different from China and we have different social culture from them, but people always want to specifically categorize us and argue into whether or not we are part of china or not, lets just drop all the fuss and change the focus.

What did you guys like best about Taiwan when you were there?
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angie715)
    This group was just so that people from taiwan can have a place to meet and make friends, much like that of a Hong Kong social group or american social group...

Taiwan has its own government and currency and is independent from China in all aspects except its name in the books. As a taiwanese I do see ourselves different from China and we have different social culture from them, but people always want to specifically categorize us and argue into whether or not we are part of china or not, lets just drop all the fuss and change the focus.

What did you guys like best about Taiwan when you were there?
    Night markets :love:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.