The Student Room Group

Worried I got flashed

Rush hour this morning, I was going to get petrol. I was in a bit of a slow moving queue, probably doing about 7 or 8 mph coming up to the traffic lights. They were green when the car in front went through, and at this moment the speed of the queue increased - the car in front accelerated, and I accelerated too. Just as I started accelerating (at this point, the car in front was just going through the lights), the lights turned to amber. I made my decision that it was safer to go through than stop (I'm usually very cautious about doing this). Because of this, I was accelerating as I went through the lights. As I went through, the light was definitely still amber, and another car came through behind me. I'm not sure, but another car may well have come through behind him. But as I drove on, I saw the traffic enforcement camera flash twice in very quick succession in my rearview mirror. I was about 18-20 metres further on at this point. Was it likely flashing me, or do they do two very quick flashes for each time they snap someone (which would mean it only got the car behind)? It would seem very unfair if I got a ticket for it, especially as the light went amber straight in the middle of a queue of accelerating traffic going through at a reasonable speed, as I had literally no time to make a decision, or check my rearview to see if I could stop without the car behind going into the back of me.

HELP! I'm so worried, as whilst I'm not bothered about the money, I've only had my licence 10 weeks, and I wouldn't feel comfortable driving for the next two years knowing I'm only miliseconds away from losing my licence.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
This happened to my cousin; basically, if they are unable to determine which car caused the camera to flash then they won't take any action. However, if it is blatantly obvious which car triggered the camera (i.e. they guy behind you) then there shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't worry about it too much :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Apa
This happened to my cousin; basically, if they are unable to determine which car caused the camera to flash then they won't take any action. However, if it is blatantly obvious which car triggered the camera (i.e. they guy behind you) then there shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't worry about it too much :smile:

It flashed twice very quickly though, so wouldn't this indicate that it took two photos? I'm just very worried, as I have no idea of the appeals process, and I feel that if I have been flashed that I was not at fault.
Reply 3
Yeah it flashes twice at a specific interval after the lights have gone red so they'll know who to blame, and they take two pictures so they can judge speed (for example if it's triggered by someone who stops just over the white line, then they'll know they didn't end up going through). I'd say you're okay.
Reply 4
I wonder if I'm the only one who clicked on this topic in the 'latest discussions' bit on the left because I thought it was someone wondering if they'd been flashed physically (by an odd man in a long coat, you know what I mean)
Reply 5
Original post by LostRiots
I wonder if I'm the only one who clicked on this topic in the 'latest discussions' bit on the left because I thought it was someone wondering if they'd been flashed physically (by an odd man in a long coat, you know what I mean)

No :rolleyes: I was going to try to think of a sly, witty bit of banter as a comeback.
Reply 6
I was under the impression it took two photos in an attempt to get a clear photo of whichever car it was that actually triggered the camera.
Original post by Apa

I agree.
If it was still on amber when you went through the lights, and other cars went through the lights after you before it went red, then id say you are fine. It would only be if you went through when it was red that id be worried. Ive done the same as you a couple of times and its come to nothing.
You'll be alright mate, if a car went through the lights behind you in all likelihood it's going to be that car getting the flash, 2 flashes for 1 car as I understand it. If you did get a ticket you'll just have to make an appeal and say you thought it would be safer to go than to stop.

I'm always worrying about getting points on my licence myself, I've been driving for a year and a half, don't want any points (or a fine really) before I've been driving for two years, I would commit if I lost my licence.
Reply 9
yeah you'll be fine - im saying this because of the one or more cars that went after you (and a camera flashes twice {any youtube video will show} - it'll be ok!
Original post by LostRiots

its on the right.
Original post by zedeneye1
its on the right.

When you click on "my TSR" it's on the left.
Original post by Ice Constricter
When you click on "my TSR" it's on the left.

oh.....:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending