The Student Room Group

AS Level AQA Chemistry, ISA Help !!

Hey guys, I really need some help for Chemistry ISA. I am generally bad at ISA for some reason? In GCSE Chemistry, I got an A, few marks off an A*. A grade in every modules and 100% in the last module but both my GCSE ISA are B, which pull the grade down to an A? I am doing AS Chemistry and I am not letting this happening to me again. So, anyone here who is good in ISA that can give me a few tips?? I can handle the experiment but ISA paper always fail me. So how can I get good at ISA papers?? Any tips of securing full marks for experiment?? cuz i dropped 2 marks in my practise ISA experiment. Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Learn your key words, and learn how to use them correctly :smile:

Know the practical you did to the best of your ability, think of possible questions that could come up :smile:
Reply 2
ooo okay thank you :smile: is that all i can do to prepare myself for the ISA??
Reply 3
Original post by ryanboi

Original post by ryanboi
ooo okay thank you :smile: is that all i can do to prepare myself for the ISA??

Also make sure you know all of your AS calculations, so Pv=nRT, concentration, moles, volume, mass, Mr, percentage error ect

...and obviously if it's a titration ISA then titration calculations too!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Which ISA topic is it?
Just a reminder to all: Content specific discussion of all practical exams is prohibited. Keep discussion general. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=130&a=467
Reply 6
Original post by Revd. Mike
Just a reminder to all: Content specific discussion of all practical exams is prohibited. Keep discussion general. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=130&a=467

Yes we know! You're always doing this :wink:
Original post by Part A

Original post by Part A
Yes we know! You're always doing this :wink:

You say that, and yet people keep breaking this rule and I keep having to dish out warnings :tongue:

Just doing my job :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by Part A
Which ISA topic is it?

Is a Titration ISA
Reply 9
wait is this a professional job :wink:

Just doing my job
Gaaah!:afraid: I've got an ISA tomorrow! A Metal Carbonate Titration? :confused: Any tips?

I've ALWAYS lost marks in an ISA... It brought my entire grade down last year. :argh: I honestly don't know how else to revise for this. I can do titration calculations. I can do the Pv=nRT, conc.mol.vol, mol.mass.mr, and all that... But I'm not so sure on the graphs/observations... I'm freaking out.. :cry2::s-smilie:
..,I'm new here, so yes, the smilies' list has cheered me up but...AHH!! Only 9more hours before I have to go to bed and face another exam!! D:

Please help?!
Original post by CollateralElement
Gaaah!:afraid: I've got an ISA tomorrow! A Metal Carbonate Titration? :confused: Any tips?

I've ALWAYS lost marks in an ISA... It brought my entire grade down last year. :argh: I honestly don't know how else to revise for this. I can do titration calculations. I can do the Pv=nRT, conc.mol.vol, mol.mass.mr, and all that... But I'm not so sure on the graphs/observations... I'm freaking out.. :cry2::s-smilie:
..,I'm new here, so yes, the smilies' list has cheered me up but...AHH!! Only 9more hours before I have to go to bed and face another exam!! D:

Please help?!

Metal carbonate?

So you'll need to know stoichiometric ratios for balanced equations

Know n = m / Mr and n = cv formulae

Test for CO2 will most likely come up.
Original post by thegodofgod
Metal carbonate?

So you'll need to know stoichiometric ratios for balanced equations

Know n = m / Mr and n = cv formulae

Test for CO2 will most likely come up.

Reply 13
any tips? PLEASE haha
:biggrin: Uhhhhhh... Hmm... Not really anything apart from what's above. The ISA isn't too hard this year, as I've heard. They can't pull up the grades any higher than last year so you're all lucky :tongue: Just learn all the calculations - Basic ones. And read the question at least 3 times before answering it. This was the main area where I lost marks. I missed key phrases and provided invalid answers for what I - assumed - they were asking for = My epic face-palm when I received my paper back.

Besides, if you screw this up, there's always another one.

Let me know how it goes for you :smile:
Good Luck!!
- s.
(edited 12 years ago)
TIPS PLEASEEEEEEEEE how to get 12 marks on the practical isa for titrations!?

- Dont leave the funnel on top of the burette
- Try to get concordinate results and take an average with 2 of your average titre values
- All values should be to 2 decimal places
- Make sure the table is correct

Anything else?
(edited 12 years ago)
We were advised to keep our results within 1 unit of each other, and to repeat the experiment at least 3 times. We were also told to lay our working out neatly, and to double and triple check everything.
Reply 17
Original post by CollateralElement
:biggrin: Uhhhhhh... Hmm... Not really anything apart from what's above. The ISA isn't too hard this year, as I've heard. They can't pull up the grades any higher than last year so you're all lucky :tongue: Just learn all the calculations - Basic ones. And read the question at least 3 times before answering it. This was the main area where I lost marks. I missed key phrases and provided invalid answers for what I - assumed - they were asking for = My epic face-palm when I received my paper back.

Besides, if you screw this up, there's always another one.

Let me know how it goes for you :smile:
Good Luck!!
- s.

Not hard, sitting this years ISA was like playing trivial pursuit on current news after living on an isolated island for a year. The questions have barely any relevence to any topics covered in the specification. It was really that bad, saying that my centre doesnt cheat like most so no wonder a D was the highest grade of the group . . . :mad:
Youch!! I totally know what you mean! I felt like I was doing nothing relevant apart from answering general knowledge questions. I know they're meant to join up the questions they're asking to the practical but... really? Towards the end, all I was doing was applying common sense. I don't think many of us did as well at all but, I'm glad there's another chance xD

The mark scheme was ridiculous last year and since our centre doesn't cheat either, we were stuck with the unfairness of it all.

They can't pull up the grade boundaries any further. So... fingers crossed my mark isn't too bad xD I haven't allowed my teacher to tell me my mark yet. I'm terrified.

Preparing for Unit 6 ISA now. Hopefully that goes a bit better.
Reply 19
ISA on coloured ions and tests. Anyone dine this yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending