The Student Room Group

MSc in Business Studies/Finance-- Warwick/Edinburgh/LSE/IC/Cass???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ory

Start getting real - Today, and for the last 3 years, MBA or M Sc in Finance are not degrees that will lead to employment for most of their graduates - unless you count working at McDonalds.

Yeah, cause there won't be any more money, banks will all close down, stocks never issued again, and we will all use McDonalds burgers for currency exchanges :wink:
Reply 21
Original post by janjanmmm
Yeah, cause there won't be any more money, banks will all close down, stocks never issued again, and we will all use McDonalds burgers for currency exchanges :wink:

Investment banks have gone bankrupt. Some were bailed out, some weren't (Lehman). The bubble economy aint coming back for another few decades. What we witnessed was the largest bubble in history and all of those MBA jobs have evaporated. You may not like it but what are you gonna do? Personally employ the tens of thousands of unemployed MBAs waking up each day? Read this.
Reply 22
Original post by Ory
Investment banks have gone bankrupt. Some were bailed out, some weren't (Lehman). The bubble economy aint coming back for another few decades. What we witnessed was the largest bubble in history and all of those MBA jobs have evaporated. You may not like it but what are you gonna do? Personally employ the tens of thousands of unemployed MBAs waking up each day? Read this.

MBA's don't have to work in a banking industry, you know, MBA's are management positions and as long as you have ANY business, MBA's will have jobs. I suggest you learn the subject before you post.

The article you link to refers to the economy as a whole. In a bad economy people with any Masters will be better off than people with BA, and still much better than people with high school.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
All you need is a decent post grad certificate
Like what my professor said, you won't get too much within a year.
Just find a course you feel most comfortable with...
And....that's all
Reply 24
Original post by janjanmmm
MBA's don't have to work in a banking industry, you know, MBA's are management positions and as long as you have ANY business, MBA's will have jobs. I suggest you learn the subject before you post.

The article you link to refers to the economy as a whole. In a bad economy people with any Masters will be better off than people with BA, and still much better than people with high school.

You're kinda missing the point about the article. It's saying that business people want to hire those who can do things relevant to their core business whether that be baking bread or fixing cars or designing buildings. The MBA adds nothing except modern business speak baloney to the employees' ability and takes away time from being able to serve customers and learn how to do that better. Customers don't want smooth talk - they want product - yesterday.

I suggest that you read this article by a man far more successful than most MBA grads who are lining up for work at Home Depot.

In a bad economy a Masters will be as useless as a bachelors. Take doctors and lawyers as an example. They almost all have bachelors degrees (and very exclusive and difficult ones at that) and a masters degree is seen to be a novel but unnecessary qualification that shows they spent time away from practice when they could have been developing core skills in practice. A masters degree for other people, such as english majors or history majors will not help them get a job. McDonald's will happily hire a BA grad as much as an MA grad.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Ory
. McDonald's will happily hire a BA grad as much as an MA grad.

Look at the stats for unemployment per category based on education:

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/unemployment/demographics/

Unemployment for BA grad is three times lower compared to "some highschool" and two times lower compared to "highshool".

You do not have any idea what you are speaking of. If you work at McDonald's, don't assume that everyone is.
Reply 26
Original post by Ory

In a bad economy a Masters will be as useless as a bachelors. Take doctors and lawyers as an example. They almost all have bachelors degrees (and very exclusive and difficult ones at that) and a masters degree is seen to be a novel but unnecessary qualification that shows they spent time away from practice when they could have been developing core skills in practice. A masters degree for other people, such as english majors or history majors will not help them get a job. McDonald's will happily hire a BA grad as much as an MA grad.

You clearly don't know much about Medicine/Dentistry or Law. Most top professionals will tend to have multiple postgraduate qualifications. My mother, who I won't reveal, is an extremely successful maxfac surgeon who currently holds a Bms, Bds, Mcs, Ma, PhD 2 fellowships, various other professional qualifications, and has held a chair for the last 10 years or so.

My father too holds significantly fewer qualifications but has 2 MScs, both of which deemed essential to the success of his business, and he now teaches on one of the courses (which is particularly important in generating more business).

Same goes for law, I can think of quite a few family friends who are doing well in law most of which hold LLM qualifications. There are of course exceptions, I can also think of a friend who is a QC who has never stepped foot in a university in his life, but he is an exception not the norm.
Reply 27
mark!
Original post by Ory
I'm not saying it - the internet is.

It would be useful reading for anyone contemplating a finance degree. This isn 2005 - the finance job bonanza is over and it aint coming back. Almost four years after the financial crisis hit London and the world, there are huge parts of Canary Wharf that are still empty. Banks are still firing people, thousands at a time. And yes, I have friends with M Sc, MBA, take your pick, who cannot get work after 3 years - and they have 3-5 years banking experience!

So unless you think that the hundreds of articles at the link, and the tens of thousands of recently laid off bankers are all wrong, what exactly makes you think your moronic ad hominem attack is going to succeed when people simply need to use Google and work out that you are wrong and trying to shout down others you don't agree with because you somehow profit from the university business?

Start getting real - Today, and for the last 3 years, MBA or M Sc in Finance are not degrees that will lead to employment for most of their graduates - unless you count working at McDonalds.

Bull ****.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending