The Student Room Group

Which uni is easier to get into?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatBeatonBoy
They did say that they SHOULD be able to give me a conditional of ABB (which I think I could get), but I won't know until they start giving out offers :biggrin:

Thats pretty good then. I hope my coditional is just like BB or something because I really can't be bothered working that hard this year considering the HUGE ammount of revision I did last year! I'm only doing 3 highers this year so hopefully I can concentrate hard on them to get good results although I think the best I can get at Philosophy is like a C :/
Reply 21
Original post by RoryRorrzShikari
I have just sent off my UCAS application yesterday applying for geography at Aberdeen, Stirling and Dundee universities. They all ask for 4Bs at higher but which one would be regarded as the 'easiest' one to get into. Aberdeen is my first choice because I live pretty nearby but I think this might be the most prestigious out of them all?

No uni is easy to get into. The entry requirement just means you have access to the admissions, this does not necessarily mean you will get an offer. Have a strong persona statement will push you above other weaker applicants.
Reply 22
I have just sent off my UCAS application yesterday applying for geography at Aberdeen, Stirling and Dundee universities. They all ask for 4Bs at higher but which one would be regarded as the 'easiest' one to get into. Aberdeen is my first choice because I live pretty nearby but I think this might be the most prestigious out of them all?

Although Aberdeen say that they want 4Bs, last year they gave offers based on AABB. Spoke to an admissions guy at the open day and he said that they wait until all the applications are in and then decide what the minimum entry requirements will be for that year. Dundee also do something similar and they now want ABBB.
Original post by Smack
You're probably better off moving away, to be honest.

The only reason to go to Aberdeen if you are a local student is if you 1) really, really like the university; 2) may run into financial difficulties during your studies that would not make it possible for you to afford accommodation so would have to live at home again; or 3) if you want to work in the oil industry.

4. You don't want to get into unnecessary debt.

My brother applied to five unis last year for geo, including those three (Aber, Dun, Stirling) and he got a conditional for Aberdeen and Dundee, but not Stirling.

The truth is last year most unis got swamped with applications (especially Stirling), so it depends on how many applications they get in that year - therefore you can't predict such things. This year the UCAS figures indicate there has been a drop overall to scottish unis so I think you've got a good chance of getting an offer from all three. :smile:
Original post by ZombieCharge
4. You don't want to get into unnecessary debt.

But for what use is money if not to spend on enhancing one's life?

I've done both halls and home. I could never recommend living at home whilst at university. It defeats the whole purpose.
My brother applied to five unis last year for geo, including those three (Aber, Dun, Stirling) and he got a conditional for Aberdeen and Dundee, but not Stirling.

The truth is last year most unis got swamped with applications (especially Stirling), so it depends on how many applications they get in that year - therefore you can't predict such things. This year the UCAS figures indicate there has been a drop overall to scottish unis so I think you've got a good chance of getting an offer from all three. :smile:

Thats a bit of a relief then :smile: I thought it would have been even more competetive because of all the uni cuts etc
Original post by Smack
But for what use is money if not to spend on enhancing one's life?

I've done both halls and home. I could never recommend living at home whilst at university. It defeats the whole purpose.

The purpose of university is education, to gain a qualification from it.

The experience is part of that, but it doesn't define it. I don't ever feel I've missed anything by staying home, in fact most of my friends live at home as well and I can't see the difference in the social lives between people who've stayed at home or halls. I also don't feel it is necessary to get into debt when you have an option not to. Maybe you didn't like living at home during university, but it doesn't means others won't.
The purpose of university is education, to gain a qualification from it.

The experience is part of that, but it doesn't define it. I don't ever feel I've missed anything by staying home, in fact most of my friends live at home as well and I can't see the difference in the social lives between people who've stayed at home or halls. I also don't feel it is necessary to get into debt when you have an option not to. Maybe you didn't like living at home during university, but it doesn't means others won't.

The purpose of university is entirely up to the individual and for many, moving away to a different city away from their parents. As I said, from having done both, I honestly cannot recommend staying at home again. You miss out on so much but it's very difficult for people who have only lived at home to appreciate this.

Hi, I applied for all 3 of these unis last year for Geography. I had ABCC in S5 (English, History, Biology and French) and Dundee gave me an offer for AB, Aberdeen asked for BBBB and I eventually withdrew from Stirling because I'd already decided on Aberdeen as my firm and Dundee as my insurance. I ended up getting AABC in S6 and although that's more UCAS points than BBBB, Aberdeen still rejected me. So from personal experience I'd say Aberdeen was the hardest of the 3 to get in to.
Ive applied for these unis for Geography. I got an A in art and geography and Bs in physics and product design at higher. Aberdeen offered me an unconditional and ive not heard from any others yet.
Original post by Vitamin D
Hi, I applied for all 3 of these unis last year for Geography. I had ABCC in S5 (English, History, Biology and French) and Dundee gave me an offer for AB, Aberdeen asked for BBBB and I eventually withdrew from Stirling because I'd already decided on Aberdeen as my firm and Dundee as my insurance. I ended up getting AABC in S6 and although that's more UCAS points than BBBB, Aberdeen still rejected me. So from personal experience I'd say Aberdeen was the hardest of the 3 to get in to.

Thats kinda worrying. I thought if you fufilled your coditional they automatically had to accept you :O Yeah I did Geography, History, French and English in S5 at higher and I'm doing Biology, Modern Studies and Philosophy this year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thats kinda worrying. I thought if you fufilled your coditional they automatically had to accept you :O Yeah I did Geography, History, French and English in S5 at higher and I'm doing Biology, Modern Studies and Philosophy this year.

Well that was the problem, I technically hadn't met their conditions due to the C :frown:
Original post by Vitamin D
Well that was the problem, I technically hadn't met their conditions due to the C :frown:

Yeah I don't get that :s-smilie: Well Ive got AAAC at my highers so technically someone with like ABBB could get in even though theyve got less than me? and you would have got in with BBBB even though thats worse than AABC?
Yeah I don't get that :s-smilie: Well Ive got AAAC at my highers so technically someone with like ABBB could get in even though theyve got less than me? and you would have got in with BBBB even though thats worse than AABC?

I know, it's pretty dumb. AAAC is great, though. You'll definitely get an offer.
I applied for geography at aberdeen, dundee, strathclyde and stirling last year. With s5 grades of BBCC (****e i know haha) My s6 results were B and B at adv geograhy. Got rejected by them all, thought i would at least get one conditional? Got a place in ucas extra for environmental/energy engineering and now i'm so glad i'm not doing geography!
Original post by chloenestea
I applied for geography at aberdeen, dundee, strathclyde and stirling last year. With s5 grades of BBCC (****e i know haha) My s6 results were B and B at adv geograhy. Got rejected by them all, thought i would at least get one conditional? Got a place in ucas extra for environmental/energy engineering and now i'm so glad i'm not doing geography!

Did you not try and re-apply after S6 with your ah geography? Not that it paticularly would matter the course your doing does sound pretty good.
Did you not try and re-apply after S6 with your ah geography? Not that it paticularly would matter the course your doing does sound pretty good.

Nah kinda realised half way through six year that I didn't really want to do geography that much. Only really picked it cause it was my favourite subject. And i HATED advanced higher haha.
Original post by chloenestea
Nah kinda realised half way through six year that I didn't really want to do geography that much. Only really picked it cause it was my favourite subject. And i HATED advanced higher haha.

Yeah two of my friends are doing advanced higher and hate it. Apparently the fieldwork is a killer D:
Yeah two of my friends are doing advanced higher and hate it. Apparently the fieldwork is a killer D:

sure is, i made most of it up haha

Quick Reply

Latest