The Student Room Group

Imperial College Msc Finance 2012-2013

anyone here also got conditional offer too?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Emo_Rhino
anyone here also got conditional offer too?

you got an offer? congrats!
Reply 2
yea... but still waiting for LSE too. Still undecided btw the 2, though currently i am more inclined towards imperial because of their quantitative aspect...
Reply 3
yes i would pick imperial's programme as well. there's a strong technical aspect to the curriculum at imperial. of course lse's programme is also very comprehensive and it probably is considered to be on par with IC's programme. may i know why your offer is conditional? is it because of english language requirements?
Reply 4
Original post by beadyeye
yes i would pick imperial's programme as well. there's a strong technical aspect to the curriculum at imperial. of course lse's programme is also very comprehensive and it probably is considered to be on par with IC's programme. may i know why your offer is conditional? is it because of english language requirements?

they wanted to see my original degree transcript so that one should be no problem :smile:
Reply 5
Nice one. Can you give me some tips regarding the personal statement and stuff like that? How long did Imperial take to get back to you? What work experience do you have + what's your background education and grades?

I'm going to apply pretty soon.

Between LSE and Imperial, you should definitely pick LSE for the better job prospects. I agree that the Imperial programme will develop your quantitative skills far better than LSE, but Imperial is not a finance/economics type university, their MSc Finance almost seems like a money making scheme for their scientists. LSE, on the other hand, is a social sciences university with an outstanding reputation in the industry and MSc Finance at LSE will open more doors. Also, internationally, Imperial is almost unknown in the finance industry, where as LSE has a strong reputation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Swayum
Nice one. Can you give me some tips regarding the personal statement and stuff like that? How long did Imperial take to get back to you? What work experience do you have + what's your background education and grades?

I'm going to apply pretty soon.

Between LSE and Imperial, you should definitely pick LSE for the better job prospects. I agree that the Imperial programme will develop your quantitative skills far better than LSE, but Imperial is not a finance/economics type university, their MSc Finance almost seems like a money making scheme for their scientists. LSE, on the other hand, is a social sciences university with an outstanding reputation in the industry and MSc Finance at LSE will open more doors. Also, internationally, Imperial is almost unknown in the finance industry, where as LSE has a strong reputation.

I have 2:1, undergrad was in Finance.

yes you are right. I think LSE Msc Finance is much harder to enter. I read that reputation + employment opportunities = LSE, quant content wise = Imperial. I really want to go Sales and Trading so I like the Imperial content but then again, I will wait till I get my answer from the LSE confirmation.

Worst case scenario, LSE rejects me and I accept Imperial. Not exactly marvellous but its still ok by my books....
Reply 7
oh yea. tips wise, your personal statement has to stand out that you really want to enter the finance industry. It helps if you had taken concrete steps in entering the finance industry like internships at financial institutions or passed the CFA.

yes you are right. I think LSE Msc Finance is much harder to enter. I read that reputation + employment opportunities = LSE, quant content wise = Imperial. I really want to go Sales and Trading so I like the Imperial content but then again, I will wait till I get my answer from the LSE confirmation.

Worst case scenario, LSE rejects me and I accept Imperial. Not exactly marvellous but its still ok by my books....

As an Imperial undergrad intending to do a MSc Finance in two years, I would just like to add that Imperial's course is regarded to be slightly over priced (having spoken to students of the course) but the mathematical rigour of the syllabus beats that of just about every other MSc Finance course in the country. In fact I think you'll find the level of maths a shock coming from a Finance undergrad, I've heard that even Imperial's scientists/engineers find the maths challenging.

A real bonus of the Imperial course is that it incorporates the CFA exam which can be a real plus if it's something you value (some do, some don't). They also have programming (both optional) which apparently has proved very favourable by hedge funds looking for algo traders. I would say this course is one of if not the top feeder to hedge funds in this country.

I would agree with Swayum, if you want to get into S&T then LSE will naturally open more doors and on an international level the LSE brand will be more recognized (Imperial is almost unheard of in the states).

To be honest though they're both top courses and the differences are marginal and I guess it just comes down to personal choice. I know plenty who have rejected the LSE course for Imperial because they don't find it rigorous enough.
Reply 9

Actually, I disagree. Generally, more people are placed in to sales and trading at Imperial than LSE, generally, because you need to be quantitative enough to understand and to be able to trade derivative products, and quantitative skills are also highly valued by traders....

Sure, LSE is more well known, only if you want to get into Corporate finance (IBD).

Generally, it all depends on the target schools for each firm. I would say that Nomura, JP Morgan, Citigroup and especially Morgan Stanley target Imperial grads for Trading roles, while Deutsche Bank and RBS targets LSE/Oxbridge grads. Goldman Sachs mostly hire Oxbridge grads.... For most events that I've been too, most traders come from Imperial. Sorry to say, I've never seen a trader from LSE....I advise against going to LSE if you want to go into trading, since their course is nowhere near quantitative enough to allow you to understand and trade derivatives. Sure brand name is important, but what good does it do if both are target schools and both schools will get you interviews? It will come down to how many alumni are in each bank and your interview skills. If you want proof, go to one of the presentation days held by each bank and ask where the traders come from.....
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
You having a larf ? Derivatives are not hard. if you understand basic statistics then you can understand Black-Scholes and strip away the mystique. If you can also add up and take-away then it is a bonus...

The complex part is estimating the future volatility, and combining positions by throwing some funky shapes or return profiles base on movement in the underlying. Tracking and rehedging which forms the majority of derivs activities is relatively straightforward.

To say a course is "no where near quantitative enough" is scaremongering.

Both universities are excellent.

TBD

Original post by chrispaul
A.I advise against going to LSE if you want to go into trading, since their course is nowhere near quantitative enough to allow you to understand and trade derivatives
Reply 11
Original post by TBD
You having a larf ? Derivatives are not hard. if you understand basic statistics then you can understand Black-Scholes and strip away the mystique. If you can also add up and take-away then it is a bonus...

The complex part is estimating the future volatility, and combining positions by throwing some funky shapes or return profiles base on movement in the underlying. Tracking and rehedging which forms the majority of derivs activities is relatively straightforward.

To say a course is "no where near quantitative enough" is scaremongering.

Both universities are excellent.

TBD

If you want to get into 'prop trading' or trade for a hedge fund, then they do favour people who have a good technical/mathematical bg. *For some funds, you definitely need more than a basic understanding of statistics!

you are right that market making requires a only simple understanding of statistics. But that's not the point. The point here is that employers generally will hire somebody with good quantitative skills in a trading position over someone with poor quantitative skills. They value somebody who is good numerically and can make quick decisions. Going through and passing the course at Imperial, you will have shown these qualities, and it is more attractive to employers.

The content you learn at LSE is so easy that its laughable. The reputation of the course is such that it only relies on the brand name of the University, and you wont learn much.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by chrispaul
Generally, more people are placed in to sales and trading at Imperial than LSE, generally, because you need to be quantitative enough to understand and to be able to trade derivative products, and quantitative skills are also highly valued by traders....

That's rubbish. First of all, very few traders use any real maths - nobody sits there differentiating the Black Scholes formula, you have a spreadsheet that works out the numbers for you (I've sat on an equity derivatives desk for 3 weeks). Second of all, simply because of the number of people at LSE that apply for S&T jobs, LSE must place more than any other UK university I'm sure.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Thanks all for your inputs.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/msc-finance

I just checked the numbers. The class of 2011 had 211 students! Thats alot. Seems to me like it is quite easy to get into Imperial.

As such, I may have to think twice first before accepting the offer.
Reply 14
Original post by Swayum
That's rubbish. First of all, very few traders use any real maths - nobody sits there differentiating the Black Scholes formula, you have a spreadsheet that works out the numbers for you (I've sat on an equity derivatives desk for 3 weeks). Second of all, simply because of the number of people at LSE that apply for S&T jobs, LSE must place more than any other UK university I'm sure.

As I said before, I agree with your point, only in market making/institutional trading roles, where you sat (and I think in this case, you sat on the equity/equity derivatives desk?). I'm talking about prop trading, and even algorithmic trading, where you effectively trade with the banks own money. Obviously the requirements are different for market making /institutional trading roles because you are mainly trading for institutional clients, as opposed to trading for the bank.

With regards to your point about the number of LSE students applying for S&T jobs, I highly doubt somebody with a degree in Geography/Law/Public policy/History blah blah... at LSE will get a trading role. (Some of them didnt even take A Level math, so I highly doubt their ability to do basic differentiation.) You can draw on effectively the whole school at Imperial, because its a top engineering/science school at heart , and its safe to say that most people will be good with numbers. Obviously, you don't have to be a math whiz with numbers in a market making role, as you just earn a fee based on the spread, but as I said before, I'm sure Emo_rhino meant prop trading. Also, let me stress that one of the reasons why you got the opportunity for a role in trading was partly because of your maths degree (as it states in your profile). As I said, traders (or mainly HR, who screen your apps) prefer math /numerate degrees...

Also, I highly doubt they will give you anything complex to do and that you understood the whole derivatives business inside out just by sitting on the derivatives desk for only three weeks. Its likely they gave you the simplest no-brainer job. For more complex stuff like credit derivatives/fixed income, you definitely need to know advanced math. A lot of people on these desks have PhDs in quantitative subjects, so you def. need to be good with numbers
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
This is correct. Most people that trade or work in sales use the tools rather than develop them. Obviously there are some algortihmic developers and rocket scientists, but not as manay as you would imagine.

Most investment banks (especially in the current cautious climate) cover all their positions (with a countertrade) and make their money from spread and commissions.

I think you will find the reputation of the university - to find common ground with the interviewer - will prove more persuasive than your knowledge of exotics.

It is like many things you learn at university - the amount of real knowledge you actualy use in a real job is far lower than you would expect (or the universities would have you believe!) Expect to get a grounding in the finance and its context (especially the terminology) and a toolbox of analysis techniques, and you won't go far wrong.

Let's be honest: most jobs in the financial world are doing , not empirical research.

TBD

Original post by Swayum
Reply 16
Thanks all for your inputs.

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/msc-finance

I just checked the numbers. The class of 2011 had 211 students! Thats alot. Seems to me like it is quite easy to get into Imperial.

As such, I may have to think twice first before accepting the offer.

When you have 211 imperial msc finance alumni filling a large percentage of finance roles out there, then it cant be too bad for your career right? You've got a massive network to draw upon! I'm guessing Imperial is quite smart and they're playing the numbers game. A lot of the times, the brand name gets you the interview, and its all fair game once you are in the interview and all depends on your preparation and luck (how much the interview likes you)...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Having worked in an IB, i can confirm what Swayum and TBD say is spot on. I'd agree that LSE has a slight brand name edge over Imperial (a lot more outside the UK though) but you are hardly going to go wrong with the Imperial name behind you.

I would caution however thinking you are going to get into a largely quants-based role with a finance degree, no matter where it's from. If you want to focus on quants, fin maths, applied maths, physics etc are the degrees you need. If you want to focus on trading, whether prop or market making, finance is fine. From wherever.

Also another caution if you have your heart set on prop trading....that market is shrinking. It's a big casualty of the crisis and whether or not you think it is justified it has taken a lot of blame, hence prop desks being shrunk almost everywhere. And the huge GS loss just made on its prop desk isn't going to help matters!
Just curious, how does Warwick's MSc Finance rank then? I applied to a couple of programmes, including WBS, so am just wondering if WBS is worth the money if it's the only offer I get at the end of the process.
Reply 19
Original post by incipientclarity
Just curious, how does Warwick's MSc Finance rank then? I applied to a couple of programmes, including WBS, so am just wondering if WBS is worth the money if it's the only offer I get at the end of the process.

FT ranks it # 5 in the World, right behind Oxford:

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolrankings/masters-in-finance-pre-experience-2011

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending