Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Imperial College Msc Finance 2012-2013

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janjanmmm)
    FT ranks it # 5 in the World, right behind Oxford:

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoo...xperience-2011
    Don't go by this ranking, it's clearly not an accurate reflection of reality. For one, where is Princeton on the list? Even ignoring omissions, it's just... wrong.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see. Read elsewhere that FT's rankings are not quite reliable (or not seen as being very credible). But I'm still interested to know how a MSc Finance from WBS appears to recruiters. I'm very keen on getting a position in IB or SF.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion it would be on par with Imperial, however I would very much prefer to spend an year in London than in Coventry/Warwick/Lemington Spa.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm planning on applying for this course in the next couple of weeks could anyone possibly tell me if If I have any shot at all in getting in? Profile about my studies are in my sig i'm on a track 1st currently on a high 2.1 though due to personal affairs during my 2nd year of uni so my grade dropped, degree is heavily maths based with only a few modules on the bio side. I personally don't have a lot of finance experience first hand I have applied for internships which I'm still waiting on got a one AC so far in jan to go to and I'm actually currently working for a prop trading firm which I've been working with for some time now and paid off this years tuition fees thanks to them ideally though I would like to get into M&A specifically healthcare so I'm not to sure whether I should mention these two conflicting areas on my personal statement...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevlar)
    Hi guys, I'm planning on applying for this course in the next couple of weeks could anyone possibly tell me if If I have any shot at all in getting in? Profile about my studies are in my sig i'm on a track 1st currently on a high 2.1 though due to personal affairs during my 2nd year of uni so my grade dropped, degree is heavily maths based with only a few modules on the bio side. I personally don't have a lot of finance experience first hand I have applied for internships which I'm still waiting on got a one AC so far in jan to go to and I'm actually currently working for a prop trading firm which I've been working with for some time now and paid off this years tuition fees thanks to them ideally though I would like to get into M&A specifically healthcare so I'm not to sure whether I should mention these two conflicting areas on my personal statement...
    i think u have a decent shot (assuming you come from a good uni). Elaborate more on your prop trading skills.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Don't go by this ranking, it's clearly not an accurate reflection of reality. For one, where is Princeton on the list? Even ignoring omissions, it's just... wrong.
    I would rate Princeton or MIT Msc Finance above Imperial or even LSE. Actually given the choice I would prefer to go America but the costs are much higher.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emo_Rhino)
    I would rate Princeton or MIT Msc Finance above Imperial or even LSE. Actually given the choice I would prefer to go America but the costs are much higher.
    And I think both those are probably even more competitive to get into than the UK ones.
    And I understand that while Princeton doesn't technically require work experience for admission, in practice it's exceedingly rare to get accepted without it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sj27)
    And I think both those are probably even more competitive to get into than the UK ones.
    And I understand that while Princeton doesn't technically require work experience for admission, in practice it's exceedingly rare to get accepted without it.
    I have a friend who went into Princeton Msc Finance without work experience, but he had a First Class Honours from LSE. V smart guy. But yea, Princeton and MIT are much much harder to get in.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think u have a decent shot (assuming you come from a good uni). Elaborate more on your prop trading skills.
    Uni I go to Queen Mary doing BEng in (Bio)Medical Engineering I know it isn't the best but also it isn't the worst :< Regards to the prop training I was introduced to it over summer by a friend began learning on a demo account proved myself to this company and they set me up with a live account starting with £1k in beginning of november so far at £1.6k and being paid on comission
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I just accepted the offer. Anyone else accepted too?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, next year I will be studying Bsc Physics at UCL given i get a high 2.1/first, would i have chances of getting into any of these courses? thank you!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alvaro1994)
    Hey guys, next year I will be studying Bsc Physics at UCL given i get a high 2.1/first, would i have chances of getting into any of these courses? thank you!
    To increase your chances, get a banking internship + be focused on what you want in the financial industry. Study to pass CFA Level 1 too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    To increase your chances, get a banking internship + be focused on what you want in the financial industry. Study to pass CFA Level 1 too.
    ok, just out of curiosity, what and where did you study?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A QUESTION OUT OF NOWHERE...

Why does everyone prefer Msc in Accounting or Msc Finance ?

I havent seen anyone applying for Msc Management or Msc Marketing .. Is there no Management or Marketing worth in UK?

Any specific reason?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Do you know how strict is the admission comittee for the Imperial MSc Finance regarding your Maths ability?

I studied a BA in Accounting, this will probably not be considered as quantitative enough right?

Can you overcome this with a good gmat score (700+) ?

Cheers
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherrrry)
    A QUESTION OUT OF NOWHERE...

Why does everyone prefer Msc in Accounting or Msc Finance ?

I havent seen anyone applying for Msc Management or Msc Marketing .. Is there no Management or Marketing worth in UK?

Any specific reason?
    Accounting and Finance give you specific knowledge and skills that require education.

Management is a very vague degree, good managers are born and trained, not educated. Not that education hurts, of course, it increases your chances to get a job, but you still need to prove that you can LEAD people and achieve successful results.
    Marketing is a bit better, but still requires experience and talent.

In short, if you do Accounting and/or Finance successfully, you really increase your chances of getting a job, while with Management and Marketing you only marginally increase your employability, still conditional on many other things such as talent and experience which you may or may not have, regardless.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Would you say LSE Accounting and Finance satisfies the mathematical requirement for MSc Finance. Is it a good degree in preparation for this MSc and what can I do to improve my chances?

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alvaro1994)
    ok, just out of curiosity, what and where did you study?
    One of the target uni in Asia. Major in Finance. PM me if u wanna know more.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by painauchocolat)
    Hi guys,

Do you know how strict is the admission comittee for the Imperial MSc Finance regarding your Maths ability?

I studied a BA in Accounting, this will probably not be considered as quantitative enough right?

Can you overcome this with a good gmat score (700+) ?

Cheers
    http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-...whoshouldapply

there are accountancy students. See the class background.

I won't be too worried about that if you had a second upper. Most importantly, think through your personal statement about what you really want.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha5)
    Would you say LSE Accounting and Finance satisfies the mathematical requirement for MSc Finance. Is it a good degree in preparation for this MSc and what can I do to improve my chances?

Thanks
    see above post. A CFA Level 1 + Finance Internship would also really help. Plus apply early!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 29, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.