The Student Room Group

Cass Business London Postgraduate Applications 2012/13

Scroll to see replies

got an offer for banking and int finance. required first class though :frown:
Just got rejected and I haven't even sent my references which are an important part of my application. This seems very unprofessional from Cass.
Reply 22
Original post by Blaasofapute
Just got rejected and I haven't even sent my references which are an important part of my application. This seems very unprofessional from Cass.

Given that you meet the basic requirements that seems very unprofessional indeed.
For which master did you apply?
MSc Investment Management

Yes, I meet basic requirements, e.g I have a 2:1 equivalent.

I contacted them and I quote " The Course Directors tend to make decisions based on transcripts. References are only required to confirm the information already available in the transcript and CV. As a result sometimes they make a decision before the rest of an applicants’ documents have come in."

I will of course appeal this decision as my references are a vital part of my application. I was quite shocked when I got their email.
Hey folks! I´m wondering about my chances of getting accepted into a top UK school! I´m graduating from Lund University in Sweden with a bachelors with good grades overall! I will do the GMAT and apply for LBS and CASS i will also apply to Imperial and Warwick. What do you think my chances are of getting accepted into any of these schools? Does anyone know how to write proper personal statements? How much importance should be put on my personal statement?

I will be happy for all help!

Regards
Reply 25
Hi All,

Just wondering what grade range anyone accepted into Cass is at? I have a 2.1 but at the lower end of the scale (3.27) and I want to apply to Msc Management but am worried about my chances. Does anyone have any insight on what weight they put on grades versus GMAT? i haven't done it yet but was considering doing it before submitting my application in the hopes that a good score will boost my chances.

Thanks!
Reply 26
Original post by Alella
Hi All,

Just wondering what grade range anyone accepted into Cass is at? I have a 2.1 but at the lower end of the scale (3.27) and I want to apply to Msc Management but am worried about my chances. Does anyone have any insight on what weight they put on grades versus GMAT? i haven't done it yet but was considering doing it before submitting my application in the hopes that a good score will boost my chances.

Thanks!

i'm 90% sure you'd get an offer really. the gmat requirement's 600 i think?
Reply 27
Original post by Alella
Hi All,

Thanks!

I think you will get an offer with a good gmat score. Their min is 600 so it is not that hard to get. I think you have good chances. Good luck and maybe we'll be classmates from September :smile:
Reply 28
Offer for Msc Finance. 2.1, 600 GMAT (didnt know Cass required GMAT until after I applied), and two references (my referees have not sent their references by post yet). They got back to me a week after I applied :s-smilie:
Reply 29
Hello there!I have applied for the MSc in Quantitative Finance and I am waiting for their response!
Reply 30
Original post by dimitris1
Hello there!I have applied for the MSc in Quantitative Finance and I am waiting for their response!

Good luck man!
(Kali epituxia :wink: )
Reply 31
Original post by Requiem87

Original post by Requiem87
Good luck man!
(Kali epituxia :wink: )

na sai kala! kai se sena!!!apo panteio eisai?
got an conditional offer of first for MSc financial mathematics, without my references.
Reply 33
Original post by Blaasofapute

Same thing happened to me, but I do not have a 2:1 although my GMAT is 690 along with other, what I consider, above-average EC's, leadership roles, etc.

I applied to both the MSc.Finance and MSc.Investment Management programs.
I heard good things about Cass, even saw Sue from their Business School post here once encouraging someone with a mediocre profile to apply. I thought if they are going out of their way like that to listen to what students are saying on the internet about their programs and even interact with them in a limited fashion, then that's a school I want to be a part of.

I can't even describe how surprised I was to get an email from the MSc.Investment Management office stating that my application was rejected something like 4 days after I submitted it online! My referees were still filling out their letters! I knew my grades would draw scrutiny, but if you're not going to take other aspects of someone's candidacy into consideration, then why require a GMAT score and letters of reference?

Aside from some general education classes (upper-level English, Geography,etc), I scored fairly well in my Economics and Finance courses. My GMAT score is well above their minimum and I have gotten feedback on other parts of my applications as being above-average to great. I thought the way my application was handled was an outlier and I still had hope for the MSc.Finance application as it seemed that these are handled by a different group, to which Sue belongs to.

I emailed her last week to inquire about the status of my application and was surprised to hear the very next day that "my application was considered again for admission into the MSc.Finance programme but I didn't get in". Oddly, this was my first time applying for both degree and why did I have to inquire about what's going on with my application? As soon as a decision is made don't schools email candidates or post their decisions by mail? The first rejected was explicitly for the Investment Management one and came from a different email address/office.

I'm very surprised to see that I'm not the only one who had this experience. This has definitely changed my opinion of Cass and their admission process. My letters were from the Chair of the Economics department and another Finance professor, both holding Phd's and both referees taught me in 3-4 courses each including my Senior Seminar project so they were both very familiar with my profile, apptitude and potential/ability to handle a graduate school curriculum.

Do you know what it's like to convince refereese to write that many LOR's and what kind of a reputation you have to have to have them personalize each one and go to bat for you?
What a waste of time for all parties involved!

Good luck to other applicants/admits, I'm sure their Business School itself is worthy of attending but that is the most unprofessional/misleading admission process I have ever been a part of and I consider myself somewhat experienced in that department, having applied to over 20 Master's programs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by realdeal87
Same thing happened to me, but I do not have a 2:1 although my GMAT is 690 along with other, what I consider, above-average EC's, leadership roles, etc.

I applied to both the MSc.Finance and MSc.Investment Management programs.
I heard good things about Cass, even saw Sue from their Business School post here once encouraging someone with a mediocre profile to apply. I thought if they are going out of their way like that to listen to what students are saying on the internet about their programs and even interact with them in a limited fashion, then that's a school I want to be a part of.

I can't even describe how surprised I was to get an email from the MSc.Investment Management office stating that my application was rejected something like 4 days after I submitted it online! My referees were still filling out their letters! I knew my grades would draw scrutiny, but if you're not going to take other aspects of someone's candidacy into consideration, then why require a GMAT score and letters of reference?

Aside from some general education classes (upper-level English, Geography,etc), I scored fairly well in my Economics and Finance courses. My GMAT score is well above their minimum and I have gotten feedback on other parts of my applications as being above-average to great. I thought the way my application was handled was an outlier and I still had hope for the MSc.Finance application as it seemed that these are handled by a different group, to which Sue belongs to.

I emailed her last week to inquire about the status of my application and was surprised to hear the very next day that "my application was considered again for admission into the MSc.Finance programme but I didn't get in". Oddly, this was my first time applying for both degree and why did I have to inquire about what's going on with my application? As soon as a decision is made don't schools email candidates or post their decisions by mail? The first rejected was explicitly for the Investment Management one and came from a different email address/office.

I'm very surprised to see that I'm not the only one who had this experience. This has definitely changed my opinion of Cass and their admission process. My letters were from the Chair of the Economics department and another Finance professor, both holding Phd's and both referees taught me in 3-4 courses each including my Senior Seminar project so they were both very familiar with my profile, apptitude and potential/ability to handle a graduate school curriculum.

Do you know what it's like to convince refereese to write that many LOR's and what kind of a reputation you have to have to have them personalize each one and go to bat for you?
What a waste of time for all parties involved!

Good luck to other applicants/admits, I'm sure their Business School itself is worthy of attending but that is the most unprofessional/misleading admission process I have ever been a part of and I consider myself somewhat experienced in that department, having applied to over 20 Master's programs.

Sorry for that. Could you please tell me where are you studying and what? Also what is your average at the moment?
Original post by DanielJH
Offer for Msc Finance. 2.1, 600 GMAT (didnt know Cass required GMAT until after I applied), and two references (my referees have not sent their references by post yet). They got back to me a week after I applied :s-smilie:

i applied to that programme too. any chance you can share your profile?
Reply 36
Zippoo,

I graduated already, my grades are below the equivolent of a 2:1 so I'm not making a fuss about this, but for everyone out there who was rejected having met the minimums, I'd be furious if that decision was made without my LOR's having been sent in. That's a slap in the face.

I'm just taken aback to see that this is actually a habit and not an isolated case. If you just want to verify information on the CV, why is it that people get rejected or admitted without the reference letters being there in the first place to do just that! Not only are these not used in their proper context, they are not used at all.

This was one of the schools I was most excited to apply to, I spent hours and hours of my time studying every single aspect of their programs. I took two days off from work to drive 6 hours one way to my alma mater when my referees we're taking their time with these letters to speak to them in person and show them how much this means to me so that they can be sent right away. I know Sue is registered here on TSR (can't recall which thread I saw her in) as well as an "Official Cass Representative" and I know they frequent these forums. There is atleast 4 people in this thread alone that have been either rejected or admitted without LOR's having arrived...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by realdeal87
Zippoo,

I graduated already, my grades are below the equivolent of a 2:1 so I'm not making a fuss about this, but for everyone out there who was rejected having met the minimums, I'd be furious if that decision was made without my LOR's having been sent in. That's a slap in the face.

I'm just taken aback to see that this is actually a habit and not an isolated case. If you just want to verify information on the CV, why is it that people get rejected or admitted without the reference letters being there in the first place to do just that! Not only are these not used in their proper context, they are not used at all.

This was one of the schools I was most excited to apply to, I spent hours and hours of my time studying every single aspect of their programs. I took two days off from work to drive 6 hours one way to my alma mater when my referees we're taking their time with these letters to speak to them in person and show them how much this means to me so that they can be sent right away. I know Sue is registered here on TSR (can't recall which thread I saw her in) as well as an "Official Cass Representative" and I know they frequent these forums. There is atleast 4 people in this thread alone that have been either rejected or admitted without LOR's having arrived...

Could you please tell me your profile? :smile:

I agree with you btw and this is not fair at all. There are some students who got 2.2 but are really good and they want to try for something better.. You have done GMAT which means that you want to do something more, 'to correct' your 'bad' performance from your first degree..

From what I understand from other members of this forum is that cass takes a look on our applications. If you do not have 2.1 then the procedure cannot continue. It wants 2.1 and it is very strict on that. I know guys who got high 2.2 from cass and they didn't get a place for msc. and this is very strange because I know that other universities accept their students with 2.2.

My advice is to send an email or arrange a meeting .. People at cass are really nice. Especially people from admission offices. Speak with them and show them to understand that you really want that place and you are willing to give your best..

Good luck!!
Reply 38
Original post by rollarcoaster
i applied to that programme too. any chance you can share your profile?

3rd year economics student at Warwick
got 2.1 in 2nd year
Finance-related internships in 1st and 2nd year (equity research and asset management)

I probably won't go to Cass because of the GMAT they require and also coz I got an offer from warwick.
Reply 39
I got an offer for MSc in International Accounting and Finance after I got rejected in MSc in Fin.Maths. Good Luck to all..

Quick Reply

Latest