The Student Room Group

Film Reviews Thread

Scroll to see replies

morgangills
Yeah the one Paul Haggis directed, not the Cronenberg one...

Yeah I thought it was excellent, one of the best films I saw at the cinema last year.

Mmm - what was your favourite scene? I loved the last confrontation between the Persian store owner and the locksmith, it really made me wince, even though I THOUGHT i knew how it was going to end, and then it surprised me.

Also - I'm sure this wasn't his aim when making it, but it's a really strong case for banning firearms! I mean, just imagine how most of the scenes would have played out without the guns.
p00p
The Cronenberg one is frickin weird. Car crash victim fetishes, what the hell.

I thought the new one was overly pretentious and seemed to shove the racism issue down my throat. It wasn't subtle enough.

Hated, hated, HATED the Cronenberg one. It was so ridiculously repetitive.

*Car Crashes
*They have sex
*Car Crashes
*They have some more sex
*More crashes
*More sex
*Crashes while having sex

I can see how you'd feel that the Haggis one is pretentious, but i think its issue is sound, and ultimately well presented. And it's quite hard to approach the race issue from anything other than a nihilistic stance without appearing pretentious. I liked American History X and all, but this one made me think more about the issue.
Reply 22
LPK
Saw 2 is brilliant. :biggrin:

I never really liked Underworld. Had a strange story to it. :hmmmm:

Did you see Saw1?

Har de har har, see-saw:rolleyes:
Reply 23
Gravastar
Hey! I don't JUST watch art house films. I liked Saw, I thought it was a good idea. And Underworld was quite snazzy in its visual style. And Final Destination was...well - I can't think of any redeeming features there. I just thought that none of those films have much scope for any kind of insightful criticism - i mean it's just "hey, did you see when that girl got impaled by the pole!", which everyone blatently DID see, unless they went for popcorn at that particular moment.

We're not here to say 'Did you see this part and that part?'

Just here to give opinions on films and whether you think they are worth seeing. It will give people a better idea of what is worth seeing :biggrin:
Reply 24
LPK
We're not here to say 'Did you see this part and that part?'

Just here to give opinions on films and whether you think they are worth seeing. It will give people a better idea of what is worth seeing :biggrin:

So basically the whole purpose of this sub forum in one thread? :tongue:.
Reply 25
p00p
The Cronenberg one is frickin weird. Car crash victim fetishes, what the hell.

I thought the new one was overly pretentious and seemed to shove the racism issue down my throat. It wasn't subtle enough.

Why is it assumed that unless it's subtle it's somehow bad? The whole point was racism, it was a story built around racism, not just any old story with a bit of racism mixed in. When the point of the film is to explore racism in LA i'd have expected it to be obvious. Racism isn't often a very subtle subject.
Reply 26
Pav27
So basically the whole purpose of this sub forum in one thread? :tongue:.

Yes. :wink:
Reply 27
yeah im a member.....goes off to watch a DVD :biggrin:
Memoirs of a Geisha is reall good. it's not a chick flick!!! :mad:
it's a nice visual movie (courtesy of bf) but i think it's more than that...it's really good is all i can say...and how they got everyone from crouching tiger,hidden dragon today to make it was good :smile: familiar faces and all....

can i just say, bride and prejudice was a mock attempt at a bollywood movie and failed! :mad: it shouldn't even be considered bollywood, it's an english movie...although the first dance scene was nice with the bride and groom party....
Shylock
Memoirs of a Geisha is reall good. it's not a chick flick!!! :mad:
it's a nice visual movie (courtesy of bf) but i think it's more than that...it's really good is all i can say...and how they got everyone from crouching tiger,hidden dragon today to make it was good :smile: familiar faces and all....

can i just say, bride and prejudice was a mock attempt at a bollywood movie and failed! :mad: it shouldn't even be considered bollywood, it's an english movie...although the first dance scene was nice with the bride and groom party....

ditto to memoirs of a geisha, but go see BBM, Shylock! :p:
Jack Twist
ditto to memoirs of a geisha, but go see BBM, Shylock! :p:

only after it's out on dvd :p:....the thought of two all-american men together...grrr *shivers*
Reply 31
Has anyone seen The Weather Man yet? Any opinions?
p00p
Has anyone seen The Weather Man yet? Any opinions?

which one is that?
Shylock
only after it's out on dvd :p:....the thought of two all-american men together...grrr *shivers*

^o) whats wrong with two american men?^o)
Reply 34
Shylock
which one is that?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0384680/
i watched the German film "Sophie Scholl" (nominated for oscars as foreign film of the year!) it was really good. definitely worth watching. very thought-provoking.
let me know if anyone wants to know more about it. no point writing a whole 'review' if no-one's interested! lol
linguist786
i watched the German film "Sophie Scholl" (nominated for oscars as foreign film of the year!) it was really good. definitely worth watching. very thought-provoking.
let me know if anyone wants to know more about it. no point writing a whole 'review' if no-one's interested! lol

what's it about??
Reply 37
Shylock
what's it about??

http://imdb.com/title/tt0426578/

Seriously, bookmark imdb.
Reply 38
IMDB is great. :biggrin:
Reply 39
hmm the last film i saw was king kong a few weeks ago:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest