The Student Room Group

Film Reviews Thread

Scroll to see replies

unfinished sympathy
i had to do a piece on Romeo and Juliet (this film) for my GCSE coursework, i got an A* tbh i thought it was crap, and Danes cant act. But i love the beginning, with the gang war and the news report... two households both alike in dignity... etc. I watched that over and over again.. love it :biggrin:

Yep, the opening was so different and breathtaking! And agreed about Danes, actually. She nearly brought the film down for me; not Julietesque in the slightest. But Leo was some fine. :biggrin:
Epitomessence
Yep, the opening was so different and breathtaking! And agreed about Danes, actually. She nearly brought the film down for me; not Julietesque in the slightest. But Leo was some fine. :biggrin:

somebody understands :smile:

she was sooo boring! and shewas in Little women as well, i do not understand why she has become even remotely famous! She spoilt it for me as well, i mean Juliet was supposed to blonde and beautiful!! She was as you say totally unjulietesque as you could possibly be, maybe they couldnt afford anyone else :p: seeing as the sets and scenes must have been very expensive!
Watching Sixth Sense later on tonight :smile:

Might if i can be bothered post a review lol :p: :smile:
lil_groovy_dude
Watching Sixth Sense later on tonight :smile:

Might if i can be bothered post a review lol :p: :smile:

havent youwatched it yet?? its good, i think youll enjoy it :smile:

has anyone done a review of hard candyy??
Reply 484
Apparently not! :frown: I thought someone had, otherwise I would've done one. You could go for Empire's Review (only a small one, unfortunately) or Total Film's (Which is the full magazine review). And there's always Rotten Tomatoes :biggrin:
Jayk Bakner
Apparently not! :frown: I thought someone had, otherwise I would've done one. You could go for Empire's Review (only a small one, unfortunately) or Total Film's (Which is the full magazine review). And there's always Rotten Tomatoes :biggrin:

thanks Jayk :smile: i really want to watch it!
Reply 486
No problem :biggrin:
Jayk Bakner
No problem :biggrin:
:smile: have you seen it? you know how much i like your criticisms (if thats the right word :p:)
Reply 488
Indeed I have seen it.

Since there isn't a review of it, I'll cook up one for the main page! Not now though...I'm actually knackered :biggrin: Plus, it may not quite be up to scratch, as I haven't seen it since it was released :s: Anyways, I'll give it a shot.
Jayk Bakner
Indeed I have seen it.

Since there isn't a review of it, I'll cook up one for the main page! Not now though...I'm actually knackered :biggrin: Plus, it may not quite be up to scratch, as I haven't seen it since it was released :s: Anyways, I'll give it a shot.

ok :smile: if youre off to bed, then sleep well :smile: x
Reply 490
Here it is!

Name of Film: Hard Candy (2006, David Slade)

Let's get one thing out of the way immediately; Hard Candy is a very difficult film to recommend. It explores a sensitive subject - namely internet paedophiles - and then flips it entirely on it's head. The main story is that Jeff - a suave, sophisticated 32-year-old photographer - meets Hayley - a young, not-as-innocent-as-she-looks 14-year-old - in a internet chat room. They seem to hit it off, arrange to meet, and then go back to Jeff's house. Then things take a turn for the worse...for Jeff.

It's an intense ride, to be sure. The dark, gritty atmosphere created by Jo Willems' camera creates a highly claustrophobic feel, and the way the camera moves appears to reflect Hayleys mood - frantic when she's tearing through Jeff's house; smooth and calm when she's unloading her sarcastic wit onto him - adds a certain depth to the atmosphere. And it's all towards an end; to create an uncertainty in the viewer's mind. Who's really in the wrong?

David Slade's direction is brilliant too, showing almost nothing, yet implying everything that Hayley is doing to Jeff. And although you realise why he did this when the credits roll, you can't help but wince whilst it's happening. Also, a rather inspired choice is that there is barely any music throughout the film, so all we have to go on is the two core characters reactions to what is happening.

And the central performances are brilliant - which is no mean feat considering first that they're onscreen for pretty much the entire movie, and second, there's the intensity of the film. Ellen Page is particularly brilliant as Hayley, to start she exudes a totally believable innocence, and the transformation from sweet teenager to vindictive bitch is scarily convincing. Not to take anything away from Patrick Wilson; he too makes his character almost real, to the point that you could understand why teenage girls might be attracted to him, and when Hayley begins her grisly work on him, his raw terror almost makes you feel sorry for this man who you're fairly certain - though there is some ambiguity - is a nasty piece of work.

I have to say, whilst I can't say that I truly enjoyed it, it had my eyes glued to the screen. It's an engrossing experience, and whilst you may not come out inspired or enlightened, you will come out saying 'Yikes!', and that's probably what the filmmakers were aiming for. And guys, be prepared to wince way more than the girls!

Rating Out of 10: 7
unfinished sympathy
havent youwatched it yet?? its good, i think youll enjoy it :smile:

has anyone done a review of hard candyy??

OK I'm watching it tomorrow night lol :biggrin:
Film: Grosse Point Blank

Stars: John Cusack, Minnie Driver, Dan Aykroyd

Liked:
Funny plot - AKA a union for hitmen :laugh:
Funny gags throughout and quotes... "Popcorn!" :p:
Beaterific stuff
Mr Cusack on form
Not boring
Original

Disliked:
I dunno, sorta great all the way.
Story, acting, shot well...
Meh... Isn't as watchable as some other films I guess, and the DVD release is a bit vanilla...

Rating:
8/10
Reply 493
creamcrackered
Film: Grosse Point Blank

OMG!! Love love love love love that film! :biggrin: One of my top 5 favourite movies (points if you get the John Cusack movie reference :wink: :biggrin:)

My fave quote is: 'I can never go home Oakman! But I guess you can shop there!'

Cracks me up every time.
Reply 494
I watched hero yesturday and it really was nice to look at

Name of the Film:
Hero
What you liked about the film:
It looked really good, scenery, the way the colours changed during each version of events, also how in one scene the autumn leves were used and their colours changed. The huge amount of troops on screen at once, there was an interesting story although it could have been better. Not bad use of cgi, whilst it wasnt perfect it still looked better than in house of flying daggers. Oh and the ending wasnt bad either.

What you disliked about the film:
some of the weird flying round during fights seemed a bit stupid, and that part where their stopping arrows just looked silly

Rating out of 10: 7
Reply 495
I watched the wicker man remake today.....it sucks:hmpf:
Reply 496
vin
I watched the wicker man remake today.....it sucks:hmpf:

Haha! So bad, you not even going to give it a negative review, eh? :biggrin:

That just firms my position of not going to see it; I loved the original, and that's now 6 people - plus 2 reviews - that say the remake is utter garbage! (There's also the fact that it's a 12a, which always puts me off films rated it) Thanks :biggrin:
Jayk Bakner

That just firms my position of not going to see it; I loved the original, and that's now 6 people - plus 2 reviews - that say the remake is utter garbage! (There's also the fact that it's a 12a, which always puts me off films rated it) Thanks :biggrin:

I don't want to watch it. The trailer looked bad enough. I mean really there's only so much you can do with the frigging wicker man. It's a big wood thing ya burn people in. We Brits already torched Edward Woodward and it was great. So sod you Nic Cage, please forgive us if we cheer if such a fate should ever really happen to you. You prat... Oooh that felt good... lol...

And I can't think of ya JC reference.

I see love. And think "Must Love Dogs"

I obviously ain't a JC buff. But if I guess on films with general cute love themes I'd say.
Americas Sweethearts
Serendipity
or something, dunno. Do tell what you had in mind... :smile:

Maybe somehing more oddball life The Grifters... Not sure. Give up...

All I know is GPB is amazingly funny. And he's a great actor.

---

"Popcorn..." is the best, slays me...

"Thanks for the pen..."

"I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork..."

"I sell couch insurance..."

lol

Absolute brilliance...

Not in my top 5 of all time films. But defo top 5 comedy...

--- I don't like anyone who says GPB is complete poe... - reference of my own smarty pants... but ya probably know it :p:
Reply 498
Haha, those're great quotes :biggrin: It's brilliantly funny that he kills people with totally random objects. I cracked up when he smashed the TV over Grocer's head. :biggrin:

creamcrackered
And I can't think of ya JC reference.

I see love. And think "Must Love Dogs"

Nope. There reference was....

*drumroll*

'One of my top 5 favourite movies'. From High Fidelity. If you haven't seen it, do! It's brilliant :biggrin:
Reply 499
Jayk Bakner

well to be honest i just couldnt be bothered:s:,

but yes it was a word that will be censored if i say it here. I watched the original recently too, and is waaaaay better:eviltongu

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending