Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Film Reviews Thread

Announcements Posted on
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe Strummer)
    I'd be delighted to! My only issue is with accessing the films you've listed. I'm afraid I'd have to buy the films on DVD as none of them are available on Netflix or NowTV.
    Perhaps there are other films you've watched this year that you'd be able to review?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armadillo)
    Perhaps there are other films you've watched this year that you'd be able to review?
    I may be planning on watching Hercules sometime soon so I'll have to get back to you. When do you want it doing?
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Joe, these are some great reviews!
    Would you like to review a film that has come out this year for a TSR article?

Here are some example films to review:

Inside Llewyn Davis
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Grand Budapest hotel
    22 Jump Street
    Noah
    If you still need reviews, I'd be happy to write some Out of those you mentioned, I've only seen 22 Jump Street but I've also seen a handful of others which have released since the start of 2014. Would be happy to write some quick reviews in the future if you need. For now, here are my thoughts on 22 Jump Street:

Spoiler:
    Show

A massively enjoyable film that kept me entertained throughout. The comic timing between Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill is excellent (and has become a major selling point for the film) while the supporting performances from Ice Cube, Nick Offerman, Amber Stevens and Wyatt Russell keep the film lively and full of energy. The self-deprecating, ad-libbed style of humour that makes Hollywood comedies (particularly gems like Superbad, Dumb & Dumber, This Is The End, Wedding Crashers, the Hangover films, We're The Millers) so popular is utilised wonderfully in this film, and the buddy cop dynamic works so well between the leads that it truly reflects the style and glamour of action-comedies which I love so much (examples like Beverly Hills Cop, Rush Hour, Ride Along). Sadly it's not quite as good as the first installment which worked better as it was an entirely fresh concept, whereas this film recycles the old cliche that sequels tend to do the same as their predecessors (and although that's supposed to be a running gag, it gets tired after a while). Even though the film is filled with huge action sequences (particularly in the opening scenes) and hilarious jokes, I felt it suffered the fate that every good comedy tries to avoid: showing off all the best jokes in the trailer with little left over in the film to surprise the audience. Maybe that's down to my mistake of watching the trailers so many times because I was so excited about this film, but although it was highly enjoyable, there were a few stretches of the film that just weren't as engaging as the first time round and I felt it to be a bit underwhelming given all the hype and massive box-office numbers this film enjoyed. Overall a film that works much better as a comedy than an action film and, despite its flaws, didn't fail to keep me entertained. Completely worth 2 hours of your time, if you're willing to ignore the shortfalls (which sadly many sequels inevitably suffer - this is no different) and just sit back to have a good time. Highly recommended to watch at the cinema, although it would probably have the same impact (just like the first one did) if you watched it at home on DVD/On Demand. 8/10 from me.

(Also I'm a massive fan of Bollywood films and I watch them regularly so if you have a world cinema section or similar that you need reviews/articles for, I'd be happy to share my thoughts for those too).
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe Strummer)
    I may be planning on watching Hercules sometime soon so I'll have to get back to you. When do you want it doing?
    That would be awesome! Could you write a few hundred words on Hercules before weds?

(Original post by asif007)
    If you still need reviews, I'd be happy to write some Out of those you mentioned, I've only seen 22 Jump Street but I've also seen a handful of others which have released since the start of 2014. Would be happy to write some quick reviews in the future if you need. For now, here are my thoughts on 22 Jump Street:

Spoiler:
    Show

A massively enjoyable film that kept me entertained throughout. The comic timing between Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill is excellent (and has become a major selling point for the film) while the supporting performances from Ice Cube, Nick Offerman, Amber Stevens and Wyatt Russell keep the film lively and full of energy. The self-deprecating, ad-libbed style of humour that makes Hollywood comedies (particularly gems like Superbad, Dumb & Dumber, This Is The End, Wedding Crashers, the Hangover films, We're The Millers) so popular is utilised wonderfully in this film, and the buddy cop dynamic works so well between the leads that it truly reflects the style and glamour of action-comedies which I love so much (examples like Beverly Hills Cop, Rush Hour, Ride Along). Sadly it's not quite as good as the first installment which worked better as it was an entirely fresh concept, whereas this film recycles the old cliche that sequels tend to do the same as their predecessors (and although that's supposed to be a running gag, it gets tired after a while). Even though the film is filled with huge action sequences (particularly in the opening scenes) and hilarious jokes, I felt it suffered the fate that every good comedy tries to avoid: showing off all the best jokes in the trailer with little left over in the film to surprise the audience. Maybe that's down to my mistake of watching the trailers so many times because I was so excited about this film, but although it was highly enjoyable, there were a few stretches of the film that just weren't as engaging as the first time round and I felt it to be a bit underwhelming given all the hype and massive box-office numbers this film enjoyed. Overall a film that works much better as a comedy than an action film and, despite its flaws, didn't fail to keep me entertained. Completely worth 2 hours of your time, if you're willing to ignore the shortfalls (which sadly many sequels inevitably suffer - this is no different) and just sit back to have a good time. Highly recommended to watch at the cinema, although it would probably have the same impact (just like the first one did) if you watched it at home on DVD/On Demand. 8/10 from me.

(Also I'm a massive fan of Bollywood films and I watch them regularly so if you have a world cinema section or similar that you need reviews/articles for, I'd be happy to share my thoughts for those too).
    cheers for the review! that's great to see!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That would be awesome! Could you write a few hundred words on Hercules before weds?
    Sorry! Looks like won't be able to hit the cinema for a while - thanks for asking though!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.