Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
x

Unlock these great extras with your FREE membership

• One-on-one advice about results day and Clearing
  • Free access to our personal statement wizard
  • Customise TSR to suit how you want to use it

Film Reviews Thread

Announcements Posted on
Find your uni forum to get talking to other applicants, existing students and your future course-mates 27-07-2015
Win top prizes in our mega results day giveaway... 24-07-2015
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe Strummer)
    I'd be delighted to! My only issue is with accessing the films you've listed. I'm afraid I'd have to buy the films on DVD as none of them are available on Netflix or NowTV.
    Perhaps there are other films you've watched this year that you'd be able to review?
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armadillo)
    Perhaps there are other films you've watched this year that you'd be able to review?
    I may be planning on watching Hercules sometime soon so I'll have to get back to you. When do you want it doing?
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Hi Joe, these are some great reviews!
    Would you like to review a film that has come out this year for a TSR article?

Here are some example films to review:

Inside Llewyn Davis
    Dallas Buyers Club
    Grand Budapest hotel
    22 Jump Street
    Noah
    If you still need reviews, I'd be happy to write some Out of those you mentioned, I've only seen 22 Jump Street but I've also seen a handful of others which have released since the start of 2014. Would be happy to write some quick reviews in the future if you need. For now, here are my thoughts on 22 Jump Street:

Spoiler:
    Show

A massively enjoyable film that kept me entertained throughout. The comic timing between Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill is excellent (and has become a major selling point for the film) while the supporting performances from Ice Cube, Nick Offerman, Amber Stevens and Wyatt Russell keep the film lively and full of energy. The self-deprecating, ad-libbed style of humour that makes Hollywood comedies (particularly gems like Superbad, Dumb & Dumber, This Is The End, Wedding Crashers, the Hangover films, We're The Millers) so popular is utilised wonderfully in this film, and the buddy cop dynamic works so well between the leads that it truly reflects the style and glamour of action-comedies which I love so much (examples like Beverly Hills Cop, Rush Hour, Ride Along). Sadly it's not quite as good as the first installment which worked better as it was an entirely fresh concept, whereas this film recycles the old cliche that sequels tend to do the same as their predecessors (and although that's supposed to be a running gag, it gets tired after a while). Even though the film is filled with huge action sequences (particularly in the opening scenes) and hilarious jokes, I felt it suffered the fate that every good comedy tries to avoid: showing off all the best jokes in the trailer with little left over in the film to surprise the audience. Maybe that's down to my mistake of watching the trailers so many times because I was so excited about this film, but although it was highly enjoyable, there were a few stretches of the film that just weren't as engaging as the first time round and I felt it to be a bit underwhelming given all the hype and massive box-office numbers this film enjoyed. Overall a film that works much better as a comedy than an action film and, despite its flaws, didn't fail to keep me entertained. Completely worth 2 hours of your time, if you're willing to ignore the shortfalls (which sadly many sequels inevitably suffer - this is no different) and just sit back to have a good time. Highly recommended to watch at the cinema, although it would probably have the same impact (just like the first one did) if you watched it at home on DVD/On Demand. 8/10 from me.

(Also I'm a massive fan of Bollywood films and I watch them regularly so if you have a world cinema section or similar that you need reviews/articles for, I'd be happy to share my thoughts for those too).
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe Strummer)
    I may be planning on watching Hercules sometime soon so I'll have to get back to you. When do you want it doing?
    That would be awesome! Could you write a few hundred words on Hercules before weds?

(Original post by asif007)
    If you still need reviews, I'd be happy to write some Out of those you mentioned, I've only seen 22 Jump Street but I've also seen a handful of others which have released since the start of 2014. Would be happy to write some quick reviews in the future if you need. For now, here are my thoughts on 22 Jump Street:

Spoiler:
    Show

A massively enjoyable film that kept me entertained throughout. The comic timing between Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill is excellent (and has become a major selling point for the film) while the supporting performances from Ice Cube, Nick Offerman, Amber Stevens and Wyatt Russell keep the film lively and full of energy. The self-deprecating, ad-libbed style of humour that makes Hollywood comedies (particularly gems like Superbad, Dumb & Dumber, This Is The End, Wedding Crashers, the Hangover films, We're The Millers) so popular is utilised wonderfully in this film, and the buddy cop dynamic works so well between the leads that it truly reflects the style and glamour of action-comedies which I love so much (examples like Beverly Hills Cop, Rush Hour, Ride Along). Sadly it's not quite as good as the first installment which worked better as it was an entirely fresh concept, whereas this film recycles the old cliche that sequels tend to do the same as their predecessors (and although that's supposed to be a running gag, it gets tired after a while). Even though the film is filled with huge action sequences (particularly in the opening scenes) and hilarious jokes, I felt it suffered the fate that every good comedy tries to avoid: showing off all the best jokes in the trailer with little left over in the film to surprise the audience. Maybe that's down to my mistake of watching the trailers so many times because I was so excited about this film, but although it was highly enjoyable, there were a few stretches of the film that just weren't as engaging as the first time round and I felt it to be a bit underwhelming given all the hype and massive box-office numbers this film enjoyed. Overall a film that works much better as a comedy than an action film and, despite its flaws, didn't fail to keep me entertained. Completely worth 2 hours of your time, if you're willing to ignore the shortfalls (which sadly many sequels inevitably suffer - this is no different) and just sit back to have a good time. Highly recommended to watch at the cinema, although it would probably have the same impact (just like the first one did) if you watched it at home on DVD/On Demand. 8/10 from me.

(Also I'm a massive fan of Bollywood films and I watch them regularly so if you have a world cinema section or similar that you need reviews/articles for, I'd be happy to share my thoughts for those too).
    cheers for the review! that's great to see!
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    That would be awesome! Could you write a few hundred words on Hercules before weds?
    Sorry! Looks like won't be able to hit the cinema for a while - thanks for asking though!
  6. Offline

ReputationRep:
    So I realise this thread died 4 months ago but can an amateur film critic put in his reviews here? :P currently I'm just ranting to myself on my own thread
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    So I realise this thread died 4 months ago but can an amateur film critic put in his reviews here? :P currently I'm just ranting to myself on my own thread
    Seeing as you asked, here's a review of a film I went to see in the cinema yesterday. I also have a backlog of thoughts to write down for a selection of about 30 films I watched at home over the last few months. Let me know if you want any reviews of those too. These are just informal opinions, nothing to be taken too seriously, lol.

Kingsman: The Secret Service

In 2 words: ******* awesome! This is an unbelievable film and SO entertaining that it will keep you glued to the screen. If you're a fan of crude comedy, gratuitous violence and brutal stunts, you will love this film just as much as I did. It's extremely stylish, intelligent and imaginative that it really leaves nothing to be desired for in terms of creating a near-perfect spy-thriller film (other examples of which are nicely referenced throughout the film). It's miles better than Stormbreaker (a comparable story about a teenage boy being recruited to a spy agency) and doesn't take itself too seriously which makes it a lot of fun to enjoy on the big screen. Taron Egerton delivers a breakthrough performance as Eggsy while Colin Firth is excellent as usual. There are some brilliant supporting roles played by Mark Strong, Michael Caine, Mark Hamill and Samantha Womack while Samuel L Jackson has a lot of fun playing the caricaturish villain although I thought he could have added a bit more screen presence by taking a more menacing spin on the character. The film starts a little slowly while it builds the tension and establishes each character's backstory but after the first 30 minutes it rockets along at a brutal pace until the incredible ending. Some of the most insane fight sequences ever captured on film are the high points of this cinematic masterstroke, including the battle inside a church which was just unbelievable. I was very happy to see that the film maintains a quintessentially British style of humour despite being a huge Hollywood blockbuster, and I'm glad they didn't compromise on keeping the film true to Great Britain (probably out of reference to the James Bond films). Overall a film that has earned itself some excellent reviews and created its own place in the crowded market for Hollywood blockbusters. Smart decision to release it in January when it could easily have competed with the bigger superhero movies arriving this summer. I thoroughly loved this movie and look forward to seeing it again soon. Nothing less than 9.5/10 from me.

Spoiler:
    Show

Note to self: let's hope this review gets a little bit more appreciation than someone who needs reviews written for them but can only say "that's great to see" when I share one of mine. So dismissive and quite rude.

8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)
    Seeing as you asked, here's a review of a film I went to see in the cinema yesterday. I also have a backlog of thoughts to write down for a selection of about 30 films I watched at home over the last few months. Let me know if you want any reviews of those too. These are just informal opinions, nothing to be taken too seriously, lol.

Kingsman: The Secret Service

In 2 words: ******* awesome! This is an unbelievable film and SO entertaining that it will keep you glued to the screen. If you're a fan of crude comedy, gratuitous violence and brutal stunts, you will love this film just as much as I did. It's extremely stylish, intelligent and imaginative that it really leaves nothing to be desired for in terms of creating a near-perfect spy-thriller film (other examples of which are nicely referenced throughout the film). It's miles better than Stormbreaker (a comparable story about a teenage boy being recruited to a spy agency) and doesn't take itself too seriously which makes it a lot of fun to enjoy on the big screen. Taron Egerton delivers a breakthrough performance as Eggsy while Colin Firth is excellent as usual. There are some brilliant supporting roles played by Mark Strong, Michael Caine, Mark Hamill and Samantha Womack while Samuel L Jackson has a lot of fun playing the caricaturish villain although I thought he could have added a bit more screen presence by taking a more menacing spin on the character. The film starts a little slowly while it builds the tension and establishes each character's backstory but after the first 30 minutes it rockets along at a brutal pace until the incredible ending. Some of the most insane fight sequences ever captured on film are the high points of this cinematic masterstroke, including the battle inside a church which was just unbelievable. I was very happy to see that the film maintains a quintessentially British style of humour despite being a huge Hollywood blockbuster, and I'm glad they didn't compromise on keeping the film true to Great Britain (probably out of reference to the James Bond films). Overall a film that has earned itself some excellent reviews and created its own place in the crowded market for Hollywood blockbusters. Smart decision to release it in January when it could easily have competed with the bigger superhero movies arriving this summer. I thoroughly loved this movie and look forward to seeing it again soon. Nothing less than 9.5/10 from me.

Spoiler:
    Show

Note to self: let's hope this review gets a little bit more appreciation than someone who needs reviews written for them but can only say "that's great to see" when I share one of mine. So dismissive and quite rude.

Very nice in depth review. I'd never heard of the film before now but am tempted to go see it based on how good you make it sound.

Also, I love Michael Caine and Samuel Jackson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Very nice in depth review. I'd never heard of the film before now but am tempted to go see it based on how good you make it sound.

Also, I love Michael Caine and Samuel Jackson.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! Yes it really is an amazing film, totally worth the price of your cinema ticket and a brilliant use of 2 hours. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

I love Michael Caine and Sam L Jackson too. They are both fantastic actors who have great range and can boast of several dramatic films to their credit. Both have got incredible screen presence and can adapt to the demands of any role, regardless of whether it's a leading role or supporting. I hear there is already talk of a sequel to Kingsman which I couldn't be more excited for!
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Kung Fu Panda always be the best..!!
  11. Online

ReputationRep:
    Birdman 7.5/10

It was a very witty film, with a surprising, but fulfilling ending. It didn't take long for the film to get funny, with laughs within the first 5 minutes. In addition, the actors/actresses were brilliant, especially Michael Keaton and Emma Stone

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 27, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Would you consider Clearing if you missed your offer?
Results and Clearing

Results are coming...

No sweat. Here's all you need to make sure you're ready

new on tsr

What's your life ambition?

Graduating, travelling, owning a business?

Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
x

Think you'll be in clearing or adjustment?

Hear direct from unis that want to talk to you

Get email alerts for university course places that match your subjects and grades. Just let us know what you're studying.

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.