The Student Room Group

Film Reviews Thread

Scroll to see replies

Shylock
i read the review of Syriana and how he got a spinal wound blah blah blah..sounded good so maybe you could tell us when you see it :smile:

Will do. :smile:
Reply 141
that seven swords or something like that, film looks interesting:smile:
don't know what you're on about
going to see big mommas house two tomorrow my friend really wants to see it, was wondering if anyone seen it, how good is it, give a scale from one to ten, plz, dont want to go to no snoozing movie!
Reply 144
vin
that seven swords or something like that, film looks interesting:smile:

I was really really bored after just the first 20 minutes.
Reply 145
Xxx Mini xxX
going to see big mommas house two tomorrow my friend really wants to see it, was wondering if anyone seen it, how good is it, give a scale from one to ten, plz, dont want to go to no snoozing movie!

1/10
Yup Requiem for the win. That climatic scene is one the hardest things I've ever had to watch (ASSSS TO ASSSS).

It helps that Clint Mansell from Pop Will Eat Itself did the soundtrack though...

I'm gonna go watch Capote tomorrow so I shall post back with my view soon...
morgangills
Yup Requiem for the win. That climatic scene is one the hardest things I've ever had to watch (ASSSS TO ASSSS).

It helps that Clint Mansell from Pop Will Eat Itself did the soundtrack though...

I'm gonna go watch Capote tomorrow so I shall post back with my view soon...

Ya mean. Requiem for a Dream - please get the name right, it is one of the best sounding titles of all films. Just listen to it. Requiem for a Dream... I f***ing love it.
It's odd, at first it languished at the bottom of my DVD pile. And then with each viewing it climbed slowly, now it sits at number 22... Just beneath Apocalypse Now Redux... It may move again, up the ladder... but I don't know, all I do know is it is a class movie.
Reply 148
p00p
I was really really bored after just the first 20 minutes.

oh:frown:
i couldn't watch The Last Samuri...i don't know why lol..but i'm gonna see fight club again soon :biggrin:
Shylock
i couldn't watch The Last Samuri...i don't know why lol..but i'm gonna see fight club again soon :biggrin:

I applaud your excellent taste. Fight Club is a brilliant film.
creamcrackered
I applaud your excellent taste. Fight Club is a brilliant film.

why thank you :smile: :girl: i don't know but the last samurai didn't appeal to me :frown:
Reply 152
I saw full metal jacket yesturday.:smile: it wasnt bad, had some really good scenes in it:smile:
creamcrackered
Anyone seen them two new Clooney flicks?

Syriana
Good night and Good Luck...

I'm planning on seeing both of 'em. I thought I'd ask someone if their any good before I do.
I saw Good Night, and Good Luck in the US in November. Up there with the best films I've seen at the cinema in the last year or so (along with Crash, Million Dollar Baby, Hidden etc).
creamcrackered
Ya mean. Requiem for a Dream - please get the name right, it is one of the best sounding titles of all films. Just listen to it. Requiem for a Dream... I f***ing love it.
It's odd, at first it languished at the bottom of my DVD pile. And then with each viewing it climbed slowly, now it sits at number 22... Just beneath Apocalypse Now Redux... It may move again, up the ladder... but I don't know, all I do know is it is a class movie.
Yeah I know what the full title is...I own it both the film and the soundtrack...and I've seen it quite a few times.

I was merely shortening it to save time.
Capote - 8/10

Bit disappointing really, I was expecting a masterpiece, up there with some of the excellent drama coming out of the US at the moment. Phillip Seymour Hoffman's performance moves it up from average to an 8 though. Oscar worthy even if the film isn't. His performance is worth the admission alone, so overall worth a watch.
morgangills
Yeah I know what the full title is...I own it both the film and the soundtrack...and I've seen it quite a few times.

I was merely shortening it to save time.

Yep the soundtrack really puts the film into perspective. Makes it all the more shocking and saddening at the end. It's dead good.
Love the film. I believe it is the best example of real film making this side of the millennium...

There are some decent films in this decade:

Million Dollar Baby
Crash
Mystic River
Gladiatior
Adaptation
The Pianist
Training Day
Star Wars: ROTS
LOTR
Gangs of New York
Memento
The Aviator
Hotel Rwanda
A History of Violence
and
of course
Munich.

These are all classic. And there are more.
But none stand out like Requiem for a Dream
Best films of the 2000s:
Hidden
City of God
Shaun of the Dead
My Architect
Garden State
Dead Man's Shoes
A Very Long Engagement
Hotel Rwanda
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Capturing the Friedmans
Carandiru
School of Rock
The Station Agent
Oldboy
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Touching the Void
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara
Spellbound
Downfall
28 Days Later...
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
My Sassy Girl
Amélie
Land of the Dead
Palindromes
The Descent
Elling
Million Dollar Baby
Y tu mamá también
Ichi The Killer
The Royal Tenenbaums
No Man's Land
Mulholland Dr.
Battle Royale
Good Night, and Good Luck
High Fidelity
Requiem for a Dream
morgangills
Best films of the 2000s:
Hidden
City of God
Shaun of the Dead
My Architect
Garden State
Dead Man's Shoes
A Very Long Engagement
Hotel Rwanda
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Capturing the Friedmans
Carandiru
School of Rock
The Station Agent
Oldboy
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance
Sympathy for Mr Vengeance
Touching the Void
The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara
Spellbound
Downfall
28 Days Later...
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
My Sassy Girl
Amélie
Land of the Dead
Palindromes
The Descent
Elling
Million Dollar Baby
Y tu mamá también
Ichi The Killer
The Royal Tenenbaums
No Man's Land
Mulholland Dr.
Battle Royale
Good Night, and Good Luck
High Fidelity
Requiem for a Dream

Main films I like from your list, that I haven't said already are...
Mulholland Drive
The Royal Tenebaums
No Man's Land
Spirited Away
Land of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
School of Rock
Capturing the Friedmans
A Very Long Engagement
Garden State
City of God

Oh and now I have seen it...

Syriana... it is really good...

Who thinks 2006 will be a good year? I certainly think it will be.

Mostly in anticipation of:

Grind House
and
The Fountain
Reply 159
Would u guys say that the matrix has a strong religious theme to it. I think that Neo is some kind of avatar or incarnation of God. Also the way in which the world is an illusion and how we are trapped in it is a strong theme in the philosophy of Eastern religions such as Hinduism and Buddhism.

Quick Reply

Latest