The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Dphil and PhD in English (Oxbridge)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
thanks and good luck to you too! No Cambridge for me, it didn't seem like quite the right place for what I want to do. Nice place though :smile:
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by Shakesper
Well, you don't have a rejection either. You never know--you may get something yet. So glad you have the other offer! That's great news. Where?

I've been preparing for quite some time for Gates. They offer an agenda for the interview that gives you a window into the broader categories. Of course, I won't know exactly what they will ask until I'm in the room, but I'm trying to anticipate the overarching questions in advance. I hope you are right about their selection, because I've got quirky down. :smile:

Thanks for the congrats! I'll keep you posted on the outcome. All best!

I got an offer from Warwick and in my interview with the potential supervisors they seemed very enthusiastic about my proposal, which is great because they both seem perfect for my interests which I guess are rather theoretical and a bit odd (I'm wanting to look at Renaissance/early modern literary theorizing from a Deleuzian perspective.) But like you said - I haven't had a rejection from Cambridge yet.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of agenda did the Gates board set for the interview? If you haven't already I'd suggest looking at the profiles of the previous Gates scholarship recipients on the website - it helped to give me a bit of an idea of the kind of candidate they're looking for, though I'm sure you've already got it covered. I think I also remember reading something on there about how they like 'unconventional' candidates - ie people who 'think outside the box' (or some other cliche). I wonder if they'll ask how you think an English PhD can change the world... I remember writing something shamelessly corny in my Gates application :wink:
Reply 42
Original post by cinosia

Congratulations Shakesper on your Cambridge admit :smile:

Thanks! All the best to you!
Reply 43
Original post by Theridamas
I got an offer from Warwick and in my interview with the potential supervisors they seemed very enthusiastic about my proposal, which is great because they both seem perfect for my interests which I guess are rather theoretical and a bit odd (I'm wanting to look at Renaissance/early modern literary theorizing from a Deleuzian perspective.) But like you said - I haven't had a rejection from Cambridge yet.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of agenda did the Gates board set for the interview? If you haven't already I'd suggest looking at the profiles of the previous Gates scholarship recipients on the website - it helped to give me a bit of an idea of the kind of candidate they're looking for, though I'm sure you've already got it covered. I think I also remember reading something on there about how they like 'unconventional' candidates - ie people who 'think outside the box' (or some other cliche). I wonder if they'll ask how you think an English PhD can change the world... I remember writing something shamelessly corny in my Gates application :wink:

Great news about Warwick! They have some good Shakespeare folk there, though that's not your emphasis. Thanks for the Gates tips. I'll keep you posted.
Reply 44
Rejected by Gates. I'm hopeful that another fully funded scholarship will come along. If not, no Cambridge for me.
Reply 45
Rejected by Gates. I'm hopeful that another fully funded scholarship will come along. If not, no Cambridge for me.

Sorry to hear that. I hope some other funding comes along - good luck :smile:.

That's no good! Though I'm sure if you stood out enough for them to offer you a Gates interview so early on then you'll stand a great chance with the other scholarships. Was it a tough interview?

And have you applied to other universities also?

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by cyberpoet
Sorry to hear that. I hope some other funding comes along - good luck :smile:.

Thanks, Cyberpoet!
Reply 48
Original post by Theridamas
That's no good! Though I'm sure if you stood out enough for them to offer you a Gates interview so early on then you'll stand a great chance with the other scholarships. Was it a tough interview?

And have you applied to other universities also?

Good luck! :smile:

Here's to hoping! Yes, I felt like it was. Others, I've heard, did not think so. I have applied to Oxford, Birmingham and Columbia. Offers from Cambridge and Birmingham so far. No funding yet.

Thanks, Theridamas!
Reply 49
Apologies if this is a silly question but can you still get a Gates scholarship for Oxford?
Reply 50
Original post by cyberpoet
Apologies if this is a silly question but can you still get a Gates scholarship for Oxford?

Um, silly question. :smile: It's the Gates Cambridge Scholarship. No worries, though.
Reply 51
Um, silly question. :smile: It's the Gates Cambridge Scholarship. No worries, though.

:giggle:
Reply 52
Alright, now it's time to hear from Oxford. Not long now! If anyone hears anything, keep us all posted. Best wishes!
Reply 53
Alright, now it's time to hear from Oxford. Not long now! If anyone hears anything, keep us all posted. Best wishes!

Erm, no it isn't.:erm: It's barely a month since the deadline and they'll have to look through some 600 applications. You definitely won't be hearing from them until March (and probably mid- to late March at that).
Reply 54
Original post by hobnob
Erm, no it isn't.:erm: It's barely a month since the deadline and they'll have to look through some 600 applications. You definitely won't be hearing from them until March (and probably mid- to late March at that).

Right. Late march is soon on my timetable. I've been in grad school since 2006. A month is nothing in comparison. :smile:
Reply 55
Right. Late march is soon on my timetable. I've been in grad school since 2006. A month is nothing in comparison. :smile:

Since 2006? So would this be your second PhD, then?:confused:
Reply 56
I wish you had made this a thread for masters as well as dphil applications! I'm applying to the MSt 1800–1914 at Oxford and it'd be nice to have others to commiserate with during the long wait. Are any of you currently in the program?
Reply 57
Original post by hobnob
Since 2006? So would this be your second PhD, then?:confused:

No, two Masters. One took three years to complete. I had to do a year of catch-up, since I did an undergraduate degree in music and wanted to merge into a performance studies (theatre) masters program. The whole time I was a TA, so it took me longer. :smile: I then did an MA in Shakespeare Studies in the UK. I've been out for a year and a half since that last one. All in all, it's been a long haul. Ready for doctoral research!
Reply 58
Original post by chipper
I wish you had made this a thread for masters as well as dphil applications! I'm applying to the MSt 1800–1914 at Oxford and it'd be nice to have others to commiserate with during the long wait. Are any of you currently in the program?

Why don't you start it? Go for it. I'm sure there are others that would be interested.
Reply 59
Original post by chipper

Im happy to commiserate on both the MSt and DPhil. Especially since the main thread can get quite heated at this time :biggrin:.

Im not in the programme (obviously), but was on a related MSt last year with options in the English department.

Quick Reply

Latest